Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddog

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 03, 2020, 05:55:59 PM
We're looking at getting a cargo bike for carrying the kiddo and groceries around.

So far the frontrunner is the Urban Arrow Family.

We had looked at the Yuba Supermarché but we have our doubts about the build quality and it doesn't seem to be available with electric assist.

We expect to spend over $5,000 on this, so it's a not insignificant decision, but it's still cheaper than getting a second car. (We used to have two cars but decided to cut it down to one to see how it goes since we're heavy users of bikes, buses and trains. So far it hasn't been a problem. There was only once or twice in the last few years when we both needed a car at the same time, and in those cases we just used Lyft.)

It'll be interesting to see the effect of the bucket bike on our car usage, we might be able to cut that down even further if we can get our groceries by bike. We're already taking the little one to and from daycare by bike using a handlebar-mounted baby seat, but she'll outgrow that soon enough, and it's not so easy to use.

Not sure what it is like round your way Eamonn but bike theft outside shops and supermarkets seem to have gone through the roof here in Birmingham. Particularly youngsters getting threatened at knifepoint in parks to hand over their bikes.  Couple of weeks ago a guy took his bike inside the local Tesco express, went to pay for a loaf, and bang it was gone. Security man on door wouldn't let them look at CCTV. Burglary seems to be on the up as well. Not sure if the crime stats will reflect that but just what I am hearing locally.

Helix.

Any recommendations on good bike racks to fit a Skoda Octavia. Ideally for 3 bikes. All advice appreciated 👍🏻

BenDover

I've a pair of Shimano spd 520 pedals on and the left one is making a clicking when pressing down. I've seen on YouTube I can strip the pedal and fill it with gear again.

Question - what type of grease should I be using?

Ball Hopper

Quote from: BenDover on June 06, 2020, 12:03:40 AM
I've a pair of Shimano spd 520 pedals on and the left one is making a clicking when pressing down. I've seen on YouTube I can strip the pedal and fill it with gear again.

Cannot resist...BendOver Grease?

illdecide

Quote from: Ball Hopper on June 06, 2020, 02:38:58 AM

Cannot resist...BendOver Grease?

:)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

It won't matter a big deal TBH as long as it's grease, it's low friction and to keep the water out so wouldn't get to caught up in the make of the grease.

bennydorano

I've a tube of bike hut grease from Halfords, on the go a few years, 100%

BenDover

Got the bike hut one today it'll do rightly

illdecide

Just realised about an hour ago my cycling Ireland licence expired on 31/05/20. Just renewed it there now but it has come saying it expires in December 31st, I know this is the case with the racing licence but i just have a leisure licence and it normally runs from the 12 months you take it out.
Is it safe to assume that all members licence will expire now on 31 Dec?

BenDover

Silly question but why do you need a license?

grounded

Quote from: illdecide on June 07, 2020, 12:12:00 AM
Just realised about an hour ago my cycling Ireland licence expired on 31/05/20. Just renewed it there now but it has come saying it expires in December 31st, I know this is the case with the racing licence but i just have a leisure licence and it normally runs from the 12 months you take it out.

Yes, if you renew your licence it lasts for a year but all new members (i assume as your licence expired they are treating you as new) only last until end of the year even though the fee remains the same. I'm not sure why they are doing this but id say it puts a lot of people of signing up.
      In your case id say if you email them and explain it was a genuine error they would roll yours on for the year.

grounded

Quote from: BenDover on June 07, 2020, 08:24:15 AM
Silly question but why do you need a license?

Insurance, for yourself and probably more significantly 3rd parties. Unfortunately the country both North and South has become a litigious cess pit.
       Worth looking into if your home insurance offers you any cover on the bicycle as well.
       I never thought i would have to do it but i have a camera with me on any spins. I heard of too many close calls from club mates recently. 

illdecide

Quote from: grounded on June 07, 2020, 12:46:45 PM
Quote from: illdecide on June 07, 2020, 12:12:00 AM

Yes, if you renew your licence it lasts for a year but all new members (i assume as your licence expired they are treating you as new) only last until end of the year even though the fee remains the same. I'm not sure why they are doing this but id say it puts a lot of people of signing up.
      In your case id say if you email them and explain it was a genuine error they would roll yours on for the year.

I know a few who are getting the insurance through Wiggle and are not going near Cycle Ireland anymore. More so now that they don't need CI telling them when they can go out and when they can't.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Helix. on June 04, 2020, 04:25:40 PM
Any recommendations on good bike racks to fit a Skoda Octavia. Ideally for 3 bikes. All advice appreciated 👍🏻
Have you a towbar?

Orior

Do you spray cleaner oil over your chain and gears before your cycle or after your cycle or both?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians