Sigerson Cup 2012

Started by Blowitupref, December 19, 2011, 05:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Sigerson cup now seems to be DCU verses the rest. No-one came within 10points of them during Sigerson this year. Some will say that this is to their credit however it has as much to do with them offering all sorts of scholarships (the reason Murphy came on today was to get his scholarship!) that the rest of the colleges just cannot match. I know some will disagree but DCU's annual throwing of money at players to come into the college just makes a bit of a mockery of the competition.

TheThirdManning

Couldn't agree more. Take DCU out of it and it would be a very evenly contested competition. The fact is,  at least half the DCU team have not gained access to the college through the traditional CAO system.

The majority of the colleges have to make the most of the hand they were dealt through the CAO system and try to maximise available resources. DCU on the other hand, hand-pick most of their team and allow them direct access to the college through an elite entry scheme.

I'm not sure if any other college operates a similar system to that extreme. Would it not be fairer to let each Sigerson college allow say 3 players a year in by that means and then everybody else has to come through the CAO? At least that way it is a level playing field

ross4life

Some win in the final congrats to DCU on a 2nd sigerson in 3 years & well done to all the Roscommon lads on winning even more sigerson cup medals.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

DownFanatic

shark

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 25, 2012, 05:45:00 PM
Who won the Trench?

Trinity won comfortably. From a Westmeath point of view great to see Kieran Gavin lift the Sigerson. His brother Davy also on the panel. And also well done to Daragh Daly, Trevor English and Conor O'Donoghue on their Trench Cup win

DownFanatic

Quote from: shark on February 25, 2012, 06:18:47 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on February 25, 2012, 05:45:00 PM
Who won the Trench?

Trinity won comfortably. From a Westmeath point of view great to see Kieran Gavin lift the Sigerson. His brother Davy also on the panel. And also well done to Daragh Daly, Trevor English and Conor O'Donoghue on their Trench Cup win

Down Senior Conor Laverty involved with managing Trinity I think.

Any craic

See the 2nd goal for DCU and the cup presentation, with more to follow from the Trench.. http://tinyurl.com/79ey5q4

RandyDupree

What is the trench cup? I assume its a step down from the sigerson. Any specific age levels? What HE colleges participate?

Denn Forever

Back in the 80's it was generally for new colleges and DCU were only admitted when they became a University in 1990 (?).
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Any craic

Today's Sigerson Cup Final winning margin (16 points, 2-17 to 0-7) is the biggest since 33 years ago today when UCC beat UCG by 2-15 to 0-2 - thanks to Statto Donal for that.

shark

Quote from: RandyDupree on February 25, 2012, 07:17:26 PM
What is the trench cup? I assume its a step down from the sigerson. Any specific age levels? What HE colleges participate?

Trench is effectively the intermediate competition, if you consider the Sigerson as the senior and Corn na McLeinn as the junior.

rodney trotter

UUJ would be quite similar to DCU regarding getting in big name players without the required points for course's through the scholorship route. They would have the pick of the Ulster counties bar Cavan as most of the Cavan players would go to college Dublin or Sligo.. Queens would be the only competion but UUJ is the place where they would go as the have excellent faciltities, indoor astro pitch, swimming pool etc. DCU beat them well yesterday but they were without Cj McGourty and Jamie Clarke as Cross wouldn't let him play college football this year.

It would have been nice to see Maynooth win today as they are proper college team not made up of players brought into to make it look like a Galactico team. Still good to see Jack Brady playing a part on the dcu team. I heard alot of the dcu team are available next year so they will be thereabouts next year too..

Minder

I find difficult to take the Sigerson seriously when you look at the "courses" some players are doing and the lengths some colleges will go to recruit players. It isn't exactly a level laying field and I don't see much achievement in what DCU did today.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

TheThirdManning

Quote from: Minder on February 25, 2012, 09:25:11 PM
I find difficult to take the Sigerson seriously when you look at the "courses" some players are doing and the lengths some colleges will go to recruit players. It isn't exactly a level laying field and I don't see much achievement in what DCU did today.

It is far from a level playing field and personally I find it is taking the spirit out of the competition which makes it hard to take serious. All colleges need top adhere to the same recruitment restrictions.

With the group of players DCU assembled this year, and any recent year for that matter, it is basically a complete failure when they don't win it. Don't get me wrong I am delighted to see our IC players being rewarded and helped academically for their on the field achievements but if the competition is to be taken serious then I think it needs a level playing field. Imagine one college in America being able to recruit whatever basketballers they wanted with no rules or restrictions.

Denn Forever

A bit disappointing to watch.  DCU were totally in a different class.

Intercounty lite I think.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...