The Toughest Trade

Started by Under Lights, February 17, 2015, 01:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Syferus on March 03, 2017, 02:05:00 PM
Murphy hasn't really been dominating games for a while now. Maybe it's a bit harsh to say he's living on reputation but I've seen him well policed more times than not recently.

He's been going very well in the last two league games, including against yourselves.

He'd a quiet championship last year. Rumours were he was carrying an injury, which he always denied. I'd say it's a case of, as with a lot of players any more, of getting swallowed up in the morass and Donegal spreading him too thin.

From the Bunker

In fairness to the lad there is an awful lot expected of him when he plays. He has set the bar so high that if he has even (only) a decent game people are complaining about his form. I wish his Dad had stayed in Mayo and we had him - that's for sure!

AZOffaly

He may have fucked any further chances of anyone going to an NHL team in the future. Pity. I doubt he meant it as it sounded.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 10, 2017, 12:59:40 PM
He may have fucked any further chances of anyone going to an NHL team in the future. Pity. I doubt he meant it as it sounded.
Since when did the rude word filter stop working?

HiMucker

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 10, 2017, 01:04:02 PM
f**k knows

Gabriel_Hurl

Yeah - and I think some of the lads may have been telling him a few tall tales and he believed them.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: HiMucker on March 10, 2017, 01:05:34 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 10, 2017, 01:04:02 PM
f**k knows

**** of a thing anyway

whitey

I'm sure the Canadian guys were showing him a good time.....kinda naiive of him to make the comments he did.....did he think the media wouldn't jump all over it?

Syferus

Quote from: J70 on March 03, 2017, 02:39:10 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 03, 2017, 02:05:00 PM
Murphy hasn't really been dominating games for a while now. Maybe it's a bit harsh to say he's living on reputation but I've seen him well policed more times than not recently.

He's been going very well in the last two league games, including against yourselves.

He'd a quiet championship last year. Rumours were he was carrying an injury, which he always denied. I'd say it's a case of, as with a lot of players any more, of getting swallowed up in the morass and Donegal spreading him too thin.

In fairness J70 against us ye lost the middle to Higgins (he's been carrying a knee injury and is out for the rest of the league now) and O'Rourke, a young ladeen just out of minor and making his second ever competitive start at senior. Murphy won a few balls but was far from dominant. In fact were it not for the couple of soft frees he got because he's Michael Murphy and Michael Murphy Is Too Amazing for Teams to Strip Legally (a favouritism Dublin and Kerry forwards have fed on for decades) he would have had an even worse day.

Maybe he can be better in his natural position closer to goal but Donegal's need to play him out the field isn't helping his ability to be the Murphy of old.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: redzone on March 02, 2017, 08:12:36 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 02, 2017, 05:12:36 PM
http://www.the42.ie/michael-murphy-shane-williams-toughest-trade-3267539-Mar2017/

For anyone who hasn't been in garvaghy there's striking resemblance to the setup at Clermont

Is that why they are about to build an extension to provide proper training facilities that weren't fitted into the famous T shaped building?

Bord na Mona man

The manner is which Chin publicly dumped Wexford Youths on twitter during the play offs suggests that Chin wouldn't be a diplomat.

Owen Brannigan

At the beginning it said Murphy would play a game with the seconds team but that turned out to be a fairly soft if high speed training game with the academy players.  At the same time, Williams was thrown into a full game in horrible conditions and left to get on with it.  Overall, Murphy not exposed to the full force of the modern French club game which is usually quite brutal and has some of the biggest men involved that made Murphy look relatively small or the same size a Morgan Parra, compare Murphy to the size of Rougerie.

Can't understand why he didn't go to an Welsh professional side or an English Championship side to give him a chance to really try out.  Going to a club in the toughest and most physical league was not really a proper trade.

Hoof Hearted

Murphy and Williams looked good
Alex and chin tonight were crap
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

michaelg

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 10, 2017, 08:06:08 PM
At the beginning it said Murphy would play a game with the seconds team but that turned out to be a fairly soft if high speed training game with the academy players.  At the same time, Williams was thrown into a full game in horrible conditions and left to get on with it.  Overall, Murphy not exposed to the full force of the modern French club game which is usually quite brutal and has some of the biggest men involved that made Murphy look relatively small or the same size a Morgan Parra, compare Murphy to the size of Rougerie.

Can't understand why he didn't go to an Welsh professional side or an English Championship side to give him a chance to really try out.  Going to a club in the toughest and most physical league was not really a proper trade.
TBF, Williams playing a local GAA game against a bunch of lads from the next village / townland would not be comparable with playing professional rugby in France, even if it were at Academy level.