Mayo manager resigns - for defo.

Started by moysider, August 27, 2018, 12:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on August 29, 2018, 07:51:26 PM
Surely this latest Mayo shenanigan opens the way for Roscommon to dominate Connacht for the next decade.

With the Mayo shenanigans I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Galway now go on to repeat Mayo's 5 in a row of 2015 and those that are writing off Galway for losing this years All Ireland semi final by 9 points should remember that Mayo also lost AIl Ireland semi final by 9 points in 2011.

moysider

Quote from: giveballaghback on August 29, 2018, 10:52:05 PM
I hear Horan has told Westport he is leaving, going to give it one more year only and the players have confirmed they are on board.
Dont shoot the messenger.

Heard that as well this evening, but didn't want to be the one to start another 'rumour'.
A few minutes ago a friend in media circles was told by a local journo that Horan will be next manager.

moysider

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 29, 2018, 11:16:58 PM
Surely this latest Mayo shenanigan opens the way for Roscommon to dominate Connacht for the next decade.

With the Mayo shenanigans I wouldn't be one bit surprised if Galway now go on to repeat Mayo's 5 in a row of 2015 and those that are writing off Galway for losing this years All Ireland semi final by 9 points should remember that Mayo also lost AIl Ireland semi final by 9 points in 2011.

Hold on. Mayo lost by 9 points to Kerry after taking out AI champions. That was a year after losing to Sligo and Longford under a dysfunctional and archaic administration. No comparison. Galway have been in a stable management structure for years now and if they have made some progress ( arguably not much), they haven't exactly exploded onto the stage. I could argue that they might be already in a transition crisis themselves. I see little future for likes of Gary O Donnell, Bradshaw, Conroy. Some of the newer lads are not good enough. Nice names and all but nothing special.

Rossfan

Quote from: giveballaghback on August 29, 2018, 10:52:05 PM
I hear Horan has told Westport he is leaving, going to give it one more year only and the players have confirmed they are on board.
Dont shoot the messenger.
Obviously our 2 bucks staying with us for 2019 so :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: moysider on August 29, 2018, 11:36:11 PM

Hold on. Mayo lost by 9 points to Kerry after taking out AI champions. That was a year after losing to Sligo and Longford under a dysfunctional and archaic administration. No comparison. Galway have been in a stable management structure for years now and if they have made some progress ( arguably not much), they haven't exactly exploded onto the stage. I could argue that they might be already in a transition crisis themselves. I see little future for likes of Gary O Donnell, Bradshaw, Conroy. Some of the newer lads are not good enough. Nice names and all but nothing special.

O'Donnell is already off the team and on the bench and only going one way with Molloy emerging, Silke back next year and maybe McDaid back also. Conroy has a few years left in him yet but no shortage of good young midfielders coming through under him anyway so even if he walked away tomorrow they'd be ok. Bradshaw is the only close to retirement player left starting regularly really. Probably had his best year in a long time but realistically will probably only play another year or two. We'll see if he can hang onto his spot for one more year. I think the half-back line will look a lot different next year.

Orchard park

#only2countiesinconnacht

Syferus

I want some of your ganja. Seems like good stuff.

fearsiuil

Quote from: Syferus on August 29, 2018, 11:56:55 PM

Syferus the Merciless.

Cunny Funt

The AI champions of 2010 that reached what one AI semi final since then and are now established Div 2 mid table team? To reach the semi final this summer Galway took out Kerry don't forget.

The Mayo performance in London 2011 was probably worse than the performances v Longford,Sligo and Mayo were less than convincing against a very average Galway or Roscommon who went into that championship having played their league football in Div 4.

Galway have gone from losing to Antrim and Sligo not so long ago in the championship to now reaching AI final semi final and NFL Div one final and thats good progress. Gary O Donnell, Bradshaw will be replaced by better defenders the returning Liam Silke for example. Their team is mostly young and learning and have plenty of good players to come through.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 30, 2018, 12:14:21 AM

The AI champions of 2010 that reached what one AI semi final since then and are now established Div 2 mid table team? To reach the semi final this summer Galway took out Kerry don't forget.

The Mayo performance in London 2011 was probably worse than the performances v Longford,Sligo and Mayo were less than convincing against a very average Galway or Roscommon who went into that championship having played their league football in Div 4.

Galway have gone from losing to Antrim and Sligo not so long ago in the championship to now reaching AI final semi final and NFL Div one final and thats good progress. Gary O Donnell, Bradshaw will be replaced by better defenders the returning Liam Silke for example. Their team is mostly young and learning and have plenty of good players to come through.

Liam Silke, so good he can place two players..

fearbrags

Quote from: Syferus on August 29, 2018, 11:56:55 PM

Well nobody wants yours ;)

moysider

Sure. I appreciate that. My point is that Galway's improvement has been little steps in the grand scheme of things. They also had to resort to a negative game plan to make any progress at all. I wouldn't put too much value on that Kerry win. Probably the worst Kerry team in living memory.
Horan got a team from ashes to an AI in 2 years when there were good teams about. Years of team building is passé. You don't know if there are better players coming through until they play against the big boys.  Managers have a short enough shelf life. I suspect that Kevin Walsh has probably come to the end of his curve.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on August 30, 2018, 01:01:31 AM

Sure. I appreciate that. My point is that Galway's improvement has been little steps in the grand scheme of things. They also had to resort to a negative game plan to make any progress at all. I wouldn't put too much value on that Kerry win. Probably the worst Kerry team in living memory.
Horan got a team from ashes to an AI in 2 years when there were good teams about. Years of team building is passé. You don't know if there are better players coming through until they play against the big boys.  Managers have a short enough shelf life. I suspect that Kevin Walsh has probably come to the end of his curve.

Horan had a team that won a Connacht in 2009 and had been in D1 for more than a decade when he took over. There's some serious myth-making surrounding that lad. Sure, ye lost to Longford but to pretend that tells the whole picture would be incredibly disingenuous.

larryin89

We had lost to Sligo too , we were a shambles . Horan turned fringe/average players into all stars , household names .  He put a steel into Mayo that was never evident in my lifetime . They are his babies
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on August 30, 2018, 01:15:24 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 30, 2018, 01:01:31 AM

Horan had a team that won a Connacht in 2009 and had been in D1 for more than a decade when he took over. There's some serious myth-making surrounding that lad. Sure, ye lost to Longford but to pretend that tells the whole picture would be incredibly disingenuous.

Not disingenuous at all. Championship is the only show in town and we regresses from 06-10. There was a solid Div. 1 team there but nothing in summer when it mattered.