Mayo manager resigns - for defo.

Started by moysider, August 27, 2018, 12:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 27, 2018, 10:50:57 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 27, 2018, 10:46:38 PM
Quote from: Halfquarter on August 27, 2018, 10:16:39 PM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on August 27, 2018, 10:06:06 PM
Rochford was a class act in my opinion,   utter madness that he is gone.

Agree 100% , difficult to know why the County Board have thrown a spanner in the works, you would think that they would like to have a settled team and avoid the trauma and disruption of finding a new manager, there are no winners from this episode.

Impossible to know what's been happening behind the scenes. I suspect the Board turned their arse on him after the defeat in Newbridge. Not making the super8 was a disaster for him. Simple as.
When the 3 coaches quit he was given a an ultimatum to have replacements in place by end of August. His picks left more than the executive a bit iffy. I didn't hear anybody think it was a good idea.
Of course he was unlucky with indiscipline and injuries during the Summer but that would not have been taken into consideration in final audit. Making the super8 was the minimum expectation whatever the circumstances and his fate was sealed that evening.

My guess in the fullness of time Mayo will regret this big time.  Newbridge was anomaly without your first choice  midfield and up against a united and inspired Kildare I doubt anyone could have won. 

That ultimatum was as good as a sacking without having the balls to do it

moysider

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on August 27, 2018, 10:59:46 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 27, 2018, 10:50:57 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 27, 2018, 10:46:38 PM
Quote from: Halfquarter on August 27, 2018, 10:16:39 PM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on August 27, 2018, 10:06:06 PM
Rochford was a class act in my opinion,   utter madness that he is gone.

Agree 100% , difficult to know why the County Board have thrown a spanner in the works, you would think that they would like to have a settled team and avoid the trauma and disruption of finding a new manager, there are no winners from this episode.

Impossible to know what's been happening behind the scenes. I suspect the Board turned their arse on him after the defeat in Newbridge. Not making the super8 was a disaster for him. Simple as.
When the 3 coaches quit he was given a an ultimatum to have replacements in place by end of August. His picks left more than the executive a bit iffy. I didn't hear anybody think it was a good idea.
Of course he was unlucky with indiscipline and injuries during the Summer but that would not have been taken into consideration in final audit. Making the super8 was the minimum expectation whatever the circumstances and his fate was sealed that evening.

My guess in the fullness of time Mayo will regret this big time.  Newbridge was anomaly without your first choice  midfield and up against a united and inspired Kildare I doubt anyone could have won. 

That ultimatum was as good as a sacking without having the balls to do it

Lots of regrets in Mayo obviously but not so much over managers walking. More regrets about some appointments and reappointments and some overstaying their welcome. We need a manager obviously but more importantly we need a coach. Maybe the rock Rochford perished on ( apart from not making super8) was that there was no coach in his proposed set-up. I would see them as assistant managers/selectors rather than people that can set a team up to compete with other top teams.

Jayop

Quote from: moysider on August 27, 2018, 10:55:34 PM
No. What would be the point? Mayo needed a McGuiness in 2011. Not now. The game has moved into the post McGuinness era already. Dublin and Tyrone play Ultra McGuinness.

I agree that the McGuiness ship has sailed.

moysider

Horan the most likely manager in waiting.

Forget about the job and young family stuff. In the last few years he has had the time to do his job and manage a Galway hurling club and then Westport football.

I think he will go for it and I believe the moneymen will roll in behind him. Now is his time. Tide or time waits for no man.

In hiding

Quote from: Jayop on August 27, 2018, 11:22:58 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 27, 2018, 10:55:34 PM
No. What would be the point? Mayo needed a McGuiness in 2011. Not now. The game has moved into the post McGuinness era already. Dublin and Tyrone play Ultra McGuinness.

I agree that the McGuiness ship has sailed.

Jayop do you think Mc Guinness would not be a good choice as manager

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on August 27, 2018, 11:36:46 PM

Horan the most likely manager in waiting.

Forget about the job and young family stuff. In the last few years he has had the time to do his job and manage a Galway hurling club and then Westport football.

I think he will go for it and I believe the moneymen will roll in behind him. Now is his time. Tide or time waits for no man.

The first team eligible to play Masters football to win the Senior AI?

sligoman2

I wonder if Rochford will arise and go to inishfee?

Get away from the mayo quagmire
Visit the Land of hearts desire
Get away from Michael park pricks
Enjoy the scenery in Markievicz

Nuf said....
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Jinxy

Putting McGuinness in charge of that Mayo team would be like Darth Vader taking a team of ewoks.
Everybody loved the ewoks, but who could support a side managed by Darth Vader?
The ewoks would lose a lot of goodwill.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

trileacman

Quote from: Jinxy on August 27, 2018, 11:46:54 PM
Putting McGuinness in charge of that Mayo team would be like Darth Vader taking a team of ewoks.

You forgot to log in as Seafoid there.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Jinxy

Return of the Jedi was on ITV4 yesterday evening.  ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Jinxy on August 27, 2018, 11:46:54 PM

The O'Connor and O'Shea brothers are some loveable little ewoks alright.

Jayop

Quote from: In hiding on August 27, 2018, 11:40:14 PM
Jayop do you think Mc Guinness would not be a good choice as manager

I don't, not for Mayo at this time. Several reasons.

1) Tactics have moved on big time from his success with Donegal and I don;t know if he's got other new ideas. Going by his write up for the final this year it doesn't look like it.

2) He's a short term solution and Mayo need a long term one imo. Maybe just maybe these great players have 1 more rattle in them to get over the line, but honestly, I think a bit of a rebuild job and try to get back there in a couple of years with some fresh blood.

3) That style won't play well with the Mayo faithful who're used to going man to man.

I know all of that is pretty negative and f**k it if he came in and won  Sam with 15 men beside the ball they'd take down Monsignor Horan's statue outside the airport and put up one for Jim.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: sligoman2 on August 27, 2018, 11:42:49 PM

Nuf said....
But our County Board are a much bigger bunch of incompetents than Mayo. Our executive finance commitee isn't nicknamed the army council for nothing.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

moysider

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 28, 2018, 12:12:59 AM

Nuf said....
But our County Board are a much bigger bunch of incompetents than Mayo. Our executive finance commitee isn't nicknamed the army council for nothing.

Seriously, would you want Rochford?
I remember foreigners bleating about how Holmes and Connelly were badly treated in Mayo and did a good job etc. I don't remember other counties falling over themselves signing them up. Why is that?

Btw, Sligonian, coming from the land of the great master poet I dont think pricks and Markievcz works all that well.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on August 28, 2018, 12:23:10 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 28, 2018, 12:12:59 AM

Nuf said....

Seriously, would you want Rochford?
I remember foreigners bleating about how Holmes and Connelly were badly treated in Mayo and did a good job etc. I don't remember other counties falling over themselves signing them up. Why is that?

We had a better duo on hand.