2019 All Ireland Football Qualifiers

Started by Don Draper, June 11, 2019, 02:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

portlaoisekid

Why do Offaly people call Laois Leix....... Is it meant to be a derogatory term? It really is kind of pathetic if thats the case.

Don Draper

Quote from: portlaoisekid on June 25, 2019, 08:50:49 AM
Why do Offaly people call Laois Leix....... Is it meant to be a derogatory term? It really is kind of pathetic if thats the case.
I think its meant is a jokey way, kinda like how we call them c***ts.

The Boy Wonder

This topic was covered on a different thread last December :

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on December 17, 2018, 10:17:05 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on December 17, 2018, 09:44:11 AM
Quote from: The Boy Wonder on December 17, 2018, 09:41:49 AM
Quote from: Don Draper on December 16, 2018, 10:39:39 PM
Quote from: burdizzo on December 16, 2018, 10:06:29 PM
Why?

I must say, you do seem to enjoy trying to rile people! Again, I ask - why?
Our county's name is Laois. I asked nicely, there was no attempt to rile you or anyone.

Like it or not the name Leix is part of our heritage and was in common use up the 1960s (as was Maryborough).
The great Laois team of the 1930s would have been called Leix at the time.
When Laois GAA people refer to our county as Leix, e.g. C'mon Leix, you can take it that they are using it as a term of affection.
Would you shout out "Cmon Maryborough"?

Would you shout out "Cmon the Queens County"?

Its an anglacised version of our heritage. We threw the f**kers off, throw off their terminology as well if you can.

Legally, the area we call Laois from a GAA perspective, is still Queen's county! Anyone who buys or sells land or a house will see that in the legal paperwork. The ancient Loigis or Leix is not the county we have today. Leix was in the east and north. Ossory was in the south and West and contained towns like Rathdowney, Durrow, Borris-in-Ossory. Queens county unites them. However, many older people from inside and outside the county who talk about hurling still call it Leix.

Don Draper

And I call bullshit on that once again.

GAA-SMART

Quote from: Don Draper on June 25, 2019, 09:00:27 AM
I think its meant is a jokey way, kinda like how we call them c***ts.

;D ;D

BallyroanAbu

Same way we call Portlaoise, Maryborough.   ;D ;D ;D

portlaoisekid

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on June 25, 2019, 09:27:28 AM
Same way we call Portlaoise, Maryborough.   ;D ;D ;D
We have been called worse!

Tony

Quote from: LooseCannon on June 24, 2019, 10:39:08 PM
Quote from: Tony on June 24, 2019, 07:24:54 PM
That loose cannon lad is making some donkey out of himself. Calling me Anthony as if that's an insult. Jaysus, I'd say he's some laugh at parties. He's another lad who could do with some time away from the internet I'd say; participate in life a bit more. That kind of thing.
Thanks for the compliment. Could be an ass stuck in a boghole. Anthony wasn't meant to offend or insult, I was only trying to be polite. Thankfully I spend a lot of time away from the internet. Participate in life, jaysus. Work, coaching an underage team and a club development meeting today. Unfortunately I couldn't participate that much more today. Tomorrow's a new day. Here's to taking your advice.

Also, parties aren't really my scene, never were. Back when I played, to a pretty high level mind you, I abstained from alcohol and still do. I'd happily have a 7Up instead of making a tit out of myself thanks.

I don't think that I'll be taking much advice from you anyway.

I'll happily take the title of donkey if it boosts your self esteem.
You're even more boring than I thought  ;D ;D. You must have some active life there if you have time to write essays about how boring you are on another counties' forum  ;D ;D ;D  . You're not even gas enough to have a bit of banter with to be fair, no idea what the point of you is, really.  ;D ;D ;D

Really looking forward to this match now. Almost all the people I'm talking with about it are going. Could see 6,000 to  8,000 there maybe, from both counties

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Don Draper on June 25, 2019, 09:21:28 AM

Bullshit on what this time?

Don, you seem to have become the self appointed anonymous 'bullshit caller'  and insult-warrior on the board. I'm betting you are not half the big man or big mouth in real life.

Don Draper

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on June 25, 2019, 01:39:27 PM

Don, you seem to have become the self appointed anonymous 'bullshit caller'  and insult-warrior on the board. I'm betting you are not half the big man or big mouth in real life.
So much anger, I call bullshit on it because very few people below the age of 80 have any reason to call Laois Leix.

The Boy Wonder

Blueandwhite1 – the bible saying "Cast not pearls before swine" comes to mind.
I'm referring to the most interesting insight you shared on ancient Leix above – I don't reckon Don has any interest in our cultural heritage but I'm sure he will gracefully (?) inform us otherwise.

Anyway back to the qualifiers – both sides have a link with the 2003 draw and replay. Niall McNamee made his debut with Offaly and Ross Munnelly was in his first season with Laois.

Don Draper

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on June 25, 2019, 04:35:25 PM

Blueandwhite1 – the bible saying "Cast not pearls before swine" comes to mind.
I'm referring to the most interesting insight you shared on ancient Leix above – I don't reckon Don has any interest in our cultural heritage but I'm sure he will gracefully (?) inform us otherwise.

Anyway back to the qualifiers – both sides have a link with the 2003 draw and replay. Niall McNamee made his debut with Offaly and Ross Munnelly was in his first season with Laois.
Thats a lousy thing to say about blueandwhite, he's no more a swine than you or I.

MasterJ

Offaly are defo the best Laois could have got! ;) ;) Should be in round 4.

Tony

Quote from: MasterJ on June 25, 2019, 09:16:30 PM
Offaly are defo the best Laois could have got! ;) ;) Should be in round 4.
Just discounting Offaly like that means you haven't seen them play at all this year. They'll be a challenge to get over for sure. They're no London, Limerick or Waterford. Fortunately, we know the team and setup will take this game seriously. We're the better team on paper but anything can happen in championship football in a local derby like this. At the same time, of course we don't fear them. We should go out and express ourselves and play to our ability. If we do, we should win but I can't see more than 3-5 points in it.