NFL Div 2 2020

Started by Laoiseabu, October 18, 2019, 12:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

I thought their peno near the end was very soft - didn't look a foot block to me, their man just kicked it off Piggott and didn't seem to go near his foot. That really took the comfort out of the game, when we were in control of seeing out the game. In any event, 2 massive points gained. We might need 1 or 2 more depending on other results, but to be 1 point off top spot and 3 points off relegation at this point is going very well indeed, in a tough, evenly matched league. Would be content if we maintained Div 2 status.

A lot of ppl saying we're not ready for Division 1, but put it this way : if we do happen to get promotoed (and u never know - 3x 50/50 games left in my opinion), we'll be safe in the top tier of the championship for at least 3 more years (div 2 this year, div 1 next year and then perhaps div 2 year after that). Also, division 1 football would bring this team on leaps and bounds, even if we get harsh lessons along the way. Top tier football sharpens a team. Whereas if we maintain Div 2 status this year, we could be in Div 2 next year with teams like Cork, Mayo, Meath, etc -a real tough division. So let's try to push on and get promotion, in a league that's there for the taking. The only way to improve in any sport is to take on people who are better than you.

Mike Q post Clare - https://soundcloud.com/midlandssport/mike-quirke-post-clare

Chrimtain

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on February 24, 2020, 10:30:58 AM
Quote from: town1980 on February 23, 2020, 10:46:01 PM
Agree with Broan Abu incredible job being done at the moment a lesser Panay also I might add ,, we're playing so well big mike management well done

I don't know what this means. What's a Panay?

The lesser Panay? It's a first cousin to the much better known greater Panay. Surprised you didn't know this.

Giovanni

Quote from: Tony on February 24, 2020, 11:15:22 AM
if we do happen to get promotoed (and u never know - 3x 50/50 games left in my opinion), we'll be safe in the top tier of the championship for at least 3 more years (div 2 this year, div 1 next year and then perhaps div 2 year after that).

This is a good point which, to be honest, hadn't occurred to me. There is actually quite a lot to gain for the promoted teams.

Thanks to OTH for the good report as usual.

I'm a big fan of Evan O Carroll's but I do think he can really improve his game by another 20% by concentrating on making sure all the simple things are done well. The Hollywood scores are all fine (and he's capable of it now and then) but what will make him really great is good decision-making when he's in possession. A quick pass off the a man in better position is often the right thing to do - he doesn't always have to do take all the responsibility himself.

Tony

Panay..? I haven't a clue what it is either.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Chrimtain on February 24, 2020, 01:08:41 PM
Quote from: blueandwhite1 on February 24, 2020, 10:30:58 AM
Quote from: town1980 on February 23, 2020, 10:46:01 PM
Agree with Broan Abu incredible job being done at the moment a lesser Panay also I might add ,, we're playing so well big mike management well done

I don't know what this means. What's a Panay?

The lesser Panay? It's a first cousin to the much better known greater Panay. Surprised you didn't know this.

;D ;D ;D

High Fielder

This Division is a bit of a basket case, and at times it's hard to gauge where any team is at on a given day. I think teams like Laois, Westmeath, Fermanagh and Clare are generally doing as much now as they will in the Summer. The other four probably have bigger ambitions, and may have taken some teams for granted. The weather too has turned things into a bit of a lottery. I think Saturday night, assuming it's dry, will give us a good idea of where we're at. Sunday was a great win to get, and I'm enjoying watching the development of some of our younger lads in particular. Port will really benefit from their younger lads getting plenty of game time

Joeythelips

Quote from: High Fielder on February 25, 2020, 11:58:54 AM
This Division is a bit of a basket case, and at times it's hard to gauge where any team is at on a given day. I think teams like Laois, Westmeath, Fermanagh and Clare are generally doing as much now as they will in the Summer. The other four probably have bigger ambitions, and may have taken some teams for granted. The weather too has turned things into a bit of a lottery. I think Saturday night, assuming it's dry, will give us a good idea of where we're at. Sunday was a great win to get, and I'm enjoying watching the development of some of our younger lads in particular. Port will really benefit from their younger lads getting plenty of game time

I thought the championship tiers are based on where you finish in league 2? If thats the case the teams with so called bigger ambitions would want to get their fingers out.

High Fielder

I agree Joey. I think complacency definitely set in with one or two of them. I have to be honest and say I felt this Division was going to be a real struggle for us. There's still work to be done, but the development of some younger lads has brought about a new energy. Evan has come out of the shadow of Donie and seems to be a different player. Evan could be anything he wants to be. Nobody on the opposing team likes seeing him turn and run straight at them. He can be lethal one on one.

The Boy Wonder

Supporters of all of the counties in Division 2 are nervous of promotion to Division 1 given the step up but wouldn't it be some achievement for Laois to go D2 - D3 - D4 - D3 - D2 - D1 in successive years !

However I think we would all be happy if we maintain our Division 2 status this year as we have a team in transition – young lads settling in and older lads nearing the end of their careers.

Kildare next Saturday evening will be tricky.  They have not been performing under JOC as yet but their backs are to the wall now and they have plenty of talent. We may well need to get 1-2 more points on the board to avoid relegation.

Chrimtain

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on February 25, 2020, 05:54:53 PM
Supporters of all of the counties in Division 2 are nervous of promotion to Division 1 given the step up but wouldn't it be some achievement for Laois to go D2 - D3 - D4 - D3 - D2 - D1 in successive years !

However I think we would all be happy if we maintain our Division 2 status this year as we have a team in transition – young lads settling in and older lads nearing the end of their careers.

Kildare next Saturday evening will be tricky.  They have not been performing under JOC as yet but their backs are to the wall now and they have plenty of talent. We may well need to get 1-2 more points on the board to avoid relegation.

We could be facing a backlash from Kildare on Saturday night. They'll want revenge for under 20s and they will hate looking up the table at Laois, and, of course, they will desperately want to get out of the relegation zone. This match will, as High Fielder says, tell us a lot about ourselves.

Helix.

Heard this evening Healy potentially done ACL again for the 3rd time. Hope it isn't true.

Joeythelips

Quote from: Helix. on February 26, 2020, 09:21:23 PM
Heard this evening Healy potentially done ACL again for the 3rd time. Hope it isn't true.

If it is, then it would be the last time we see him representing his county on the pitch which is a shame.

He is a credit to himself and one really consistant player in both codes. My first memory of him is watching him play against Tyrone (think it was 2003 minor championship) who had a forward that was 'the next Peter Canavan' apparently and Healy put him in his pocket Joe Higgins style all afternoon.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Laois v Kildare throws in in MW Hire Park at 7pm on Saturday, February 29.

Niall Corbet

Trevor Collins.  Mark Timmons.  Gearoid Hanrahan
  Sean O'Flynn.  Robbie Pigott.  Paddy O'Sullivan

John O'Loughlin.  Kieran Lillis

Sean Byrne.  Eoin Lowry.  Damien O'Connor
Ross Munnelly. Colm Murphy. Evan O'Carroll
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

les Antiques

Don't think that's true . Hamstring injury. 

Helix.

Quote from: les Antiques on February 29, 2020, 11:10:52 AM

Don't think that's true . Hamstring injury. 

Hope you're right 👍🏻