The WINE thread

Started by CitySlicker11, December 11, 2014, 11:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: CD on December 12, 2014, 07:50:27 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on December 12, 2014, 07:30:27 PM
Things I don't understand in business #2.307.

How is it possible for someone in California to grow, pick, thresh and ferment 500 grapes, get a bottle, put the liquid in it, print and plonk a label on it, put in a crate, send the crate to a port, get it imported to the UK, pay duty, get it distributed to a wholesaler, get it distributed to a seller, and still make money when selling it at £3.99?
They don't do one bottle at a time  ;)
I watched a documentary the other night,can't remember what station but it was about wine coming to the UK from Australia. It comes in massive 24000 litre bags that are then shipped over and the bottling is done in the UK somewhere.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gerry

love a bottle chasse du pape when the wallet allows it. 
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

5 Sams

Quote from: gerry on December 12, 2014, 08:50:14 PM
love a bottle chasse du pape when the wallet allows it.

Got a couple of bottles for my birthday earlier this yearGerry. One was gorgeous and the other was average.
The Aristocrat Years

Mickey Linden

I'm a recent enough convert to white wine. I was all a Buckfast man in my youth and never thought I would progress to the so called more sophisticated stuff. I have to say I really enjoy a glass of white wine these days particularly anything from the marlbourgh region. A glass of white is some job when ur dying with a hangover too. Glass before bedtime and u sleep like a legend!

JoG2

Quote from: laoislad on December 12, 2014, 07:56:45 PM
Quote from: CD on December 12, 2014, 07:50:27 PM

How is it possible for someone in California to grow, pick, thresh and ferment 500 grapes, get a bottle, put the liquid in it, print and plonk a label on it, put in a crate, send the crate to a port, get it imported to the UK, pay duty, get it distributed to a wholesaler, get it distributed to a seller, and still make money when selling it at £3.99?
They don't do one bottle at a time  ;)
I watched a documentary the other night,can't remember what station but it was about wine coming to the UK from Australia. It comes in massive 24000 litre bags that are then shipped over and the bottling is done in the UK somewhere.

Supermarket Secrets I think that was. Those big bags of wine were mad.

thewobbler

24,000 litres. Farkin hell.

That's 32,000 bottles of the stuff. Or, if you drank one every night, about 88 year's worth. And if it's the good stuff, every year it would just taste that little better too!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thewobbler on December 12, 2014, 10:00:59 PM

That's 32,000 bottles of the stuff. Or, if you drank one every night, about 88 year's worth. And if it's the good stuff, every year it would just taste that little better too!
Or a Bank Holiday weekend for Milltown Row.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 12, 2014, 10:38:47 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on December 12, 2014, 10:00:59 PM

Or a Bank Holiday weekend for Milltown Row.

Its good for you sure😆
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

amanda

Sauigon fine for.the price.

Jell 0 Biafra

Illegal latin American workers. Treated like slaves, and, at times, wages/passports withheld.  You can always make a profit if you keep your costs that low...

Tony Baloney

Got myself a few bottles of Campo Viejo Rioja Reserva and Oyster Bay on recommendation of this thread. Smooth and cosmopolitan bastard, me.

laoislad

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 14, 2014, 12:13:33 AM
Got myself a few bottles of Campo Viejo Rioja Reserva and Oyster Bay on recommendation of this thread. Smooth and cosmopolitan b**tard, me.
#knob
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on December 14, 2014, 12:24:56 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 14, 2014, 12:13:33 AM
Got myself a few bottles of Campo Viejo Rioja Reserva and Oyster Bay on recommendation of this thread. Smooth and cosmopolitan b**tard, me.
#knob
Hashtag? What year is it?

Rois

Chablis for me. I'm def not a wine snob but that's my wine of choice.

I'm currently in New Zealand and going to do a wine tour in Hawkes Bay in a few days. For "wine tour" read "legitimate excuse to drink wine without dinner".

gallsman

Quote from: Rois on December 14, 2014, 06:13:06 AM
Chablis for me. I'm def not a wine snob but that's my wine of choice.

I'm currently in New Zealand and going to do a wine tour in Hawkes Bay in a few days. For "wine tour" read "legitimate excuse to drink wine without dinner".

That's called Friday night telly in my house.