The WINE thread

Started by CitySlicker11, December 11, 2014, 11:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Quote from: muppet on December 12, 2014, 04:08:09 PM
Quote from: Canalman on December 12, 2014, 04:06:52 PM
Can't stand the taste of wine and the very few times I drank it I had a ferocious hangover.

Definitely "smooth and cosmopolitan"  to drink wine in recent years......... "especially a glass of wine with dinner".

Prefer the glass of tap water myself with dinner or with cordial as a treat.

Could it possibly be that some people just like it?

Suppose so. Just find it hard to fathom the massive interest in wine in the last decade or so.

JoG2

Quote from: Canalman on December 12, 2014, 04:14:25 PM
Can't stand the taste of wine and the very few times I drank it I had a ferocious hangover.

Definitely "smooth and cosmopolitan"  to drink wine in recent years......... "especially a glass of wine with dinner".

Suppose so. Just find it hard to fathom the massive interest in wine in the last decade or so.

embrace it luvvy :-)

muppet

Pre-Cromwell Irish leaders always had plenty of wine. Many of them even were named after the stuff, e.g. Turlough of the Wine O'Donnell 1380-1422 (ancestor of Red Hugh). He have nearly 20 children so it didn't do him much harm.

This was the Annals on Brian Boru:

Oh, where, Kincora ! is Brian the Great ?
And where is the beauty that once was thine ?
Oh ! where are the Princes and Nobles that sate
At the feast in thy halls, and drank the red wine.
Where, oh, Kincora !

Nowadays it just seems that wine has filtered down to the ordinary Irish.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

I think it's a symptom of the move from pub drinking to home drinking. A nice bottle of red wine at home is grand and handy.

Milltown Row2

Interest in the last 10 years??  Wine has been massive for a lot longer. Larger, Guinness has it's place and will never be under threat, I'll only drink wine while having dinner when I'm out and revert back to beer once done. But at friends or in the house a nice bottle (or 2) lends itself to a good cheap night with friends
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

More money and curiosity plus more people taking holidays to wine producing countries.

Do you remember the ads in the 80s for some mix to put in meat?  There was one for boeuf Bourgignon and the other one was chili con carne. "chilli con what" was the ad line. 

I remember stopping in Glenamaddy in the badlands of north Galway around 97 and noticing the big wine display at the back of the shop.
15 years previously Blue Nun and Mateus in wine and Lentheric in perfume were the height of sophistication. 

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on December 12, 2014, 02:51:46 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 12, 2014, 08:24:05 AM
6euro bottle of Pinot Grigio from Lidl does me fine  ;D

I remember listening to a radio interview a few years ago with a fella who was supposed to be some sort of wine expert.
He was given 3 glasses of wine and was asked to describe each glass.
He went on for ages with bullshite about each glass about how it tasted.
Turned out all the glasses of wine were from the same bottle.
There is an awful lot of shite talked about wine IMO.

That must be three years now you are drinking the same stuff, as a treat to the wife buy the "Macon Villages" in Lidl, its 9.99 (I know for you that pricey) just try it.
But I like it so why would I change?
I gave that man the whiskey the other day. He was delighted with it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

bennydorano

Rarely drink nowadays(apart from holidays) but like Merlot when i do - i'm thinking that's probably  akin to saying i like red cars or something  equally as uncouth :)

CitySlicker11

That Tesco deal which was posted earlier was excellent value. Wine seems to be a lot cheaper online (never considered purchasing alcohol online) If any other deals pop up over Christmas, send them on.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: bennydorano on December 12, 2014, 05:04:17 PM
Rarely drink nowadays(apart from holidays) but like Merlot when i do - i'm thinking that's probably  akin to saying i like red cars or something  equally as uncouth :)

Sales of merlot in the U.S. decreased significantly after the guy in the movie Sideways trashed it.  People.... 

Not much of a wine drinker myself, but merlot would be the best of it for me.

thewobbler

Things I don't understand in business #2.307.

How is it possible for someone in California to grow, pick, thresh and ferment 500 grapes, get a bottle, put the liquid in it, print and plonk a label on it, put in a crate, send the crate to a port, get it imported to the UK, pay duty, get it distributed to a wholesaler, get it distributed to a seller, and still make money when selling it at £3.99?

pullhard

Surprised no has mentioned the monks finest yet.

I can't drink without being ill, so I avoid the stuff. Does my head that wine is provided at weddings and parties but no beer. 

5 Sams

Quote from: thewobbler on December 12, 2014, 07:30:27 PM

How is it possible for someone in California to grow, pick, thresh and ferment 500 grapes, get a bottle, put the liquid in it, print and plonk a label on it, put in a crate, send the crate to a port, get it imported to the UK, pay duty, get it distributed to a wholesaler, get it distributed to a seller, and still make money when selling it at £3.99?

You are obviously drinking some rancid piss tonight Wobbs! ;)
The Aristocrat Years

CD

They don't do one bottle at a time  ;)
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

lynchbhoy

The same wine is retailing at anywhere between 2 and 5 times that amount in America!

The price of Californian wines over there never ceases to amaze me when you know how cheap it is here.
I've drank a few and i don't like it- IMO it's poor enough stuff.
New world wines in oz nz and South America streets ahead IMO