TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

New season of American horror story is pretty decent.

laoislad

Quote from: spuds on November 17, 2018, 01:41:17 PM
In line with discussion about well received series that you have certain level of expectation from, have just finished first series of Prison Break and was a real struggle to complete. Poor acting, far fetched, thinly written and very few credible characters even. Unlikely to continue but interested if others think it improves or is it "not for me"!
First 2 seasons of Prison Break were excellent imo. Got bit silly then but I still watched it. The new season that came out last year was brutal.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

dec

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on November 17, 2018, 10:52:28 AM
Watched the first episode of Narcos: Mexico, absolutely superb.

Should I watch Narcos before Narcos: Mexico or does this one work on it's own.

Harold Disgracey

Quote from: dec on November 20, 2018, 02:37:48 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on November 17, 2018, 10:52:28 AM
Watched the first episode of Narcos: Mexico, absolutely superb.

Should I watch Narcos before Narcos: Mexico or does this one work on it's own.

You could probably watch it on it's own as it's pretty much a prequel. I've only watched the first two episodes but I believe some of the characters from the original series make an appearance in some of the later episodes.

north_antrim_hound

I found Breaking Bad a bit of an anti-climax as well, the series I have enjoyed the most in the last year is Ray Donavon. Hard hitting and a character with Irish routes your always trying to figure out. His wife is played by Belfast actor Paula Malcomson so her role of the squawking ball breaker is very convincing  ;)
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

nrico2006

Ray Donovan was unreal at the start, had a bad season or two but the latest is very enjoyable.   

Narcos Mexico was ok, not as good as any of the 3 seasons of the original Narcos show.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JoG2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on November 21, 2018, 11:14:19 AM
I found Breaking Bad a bit of an anti-climax as well, the series I have enjoyed the most in the last year is Ray Donavon. Hard hitting and a character with Irish routes your always trying to figure out. His wife is played by Belfast actor Paula Malcomson so her role of the squawking ball breaker is very convincing  ;)

Absolutely. Apart from the 1st few episodes at the start of Season 5, its been consistently brilliant imo

lurganblue

The wife gets to pick what to watch the odd time so i recently had to sit through The Cry, a BBC series i believe.  I had recently enjoyed the bodyguard so i thought it might be ok.  I quickly learned that it was 4 hours of dragged out keek. One to avoid.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: lurganblue on November 21, 2018, 04:46:28 PM
The wife gets to pick what to watch the odd time so i recently had to sit through The Cry, a BBC series i believe.  I had recently enjoyed the bodyguard so i thought it might be ok.  I quickly learned that it was 4 hours of dragged out keek. One to avoid.

We've all been there
Had to go through "house of cards"

Now me and the mrs joke that twisted version of the White House has become a chilling reality.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Over the Bar

Jeez I thought Breaking Bad was exceptional.   Up there with Sopranos and The Wire.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Over the Bar on November 22, 2018, 08:44:42 AM

Jeez I thought Breaking Bad was exceptional.   Up there with Sopranos and The Wire.
Im the same.
Only just behind The Wire for me.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

themac_23

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 22, 2018, 09:50:19 AM

Im the same.
Only just behind The Wire for me.

The wire is next on my rewatch list after just finishing Breaking bad again, watched the first episode last night, great quote 'there ya go again Bunk, giving a F**k when it wasnt your turn to give a F**k'
forgot how much i loved the show and the characters until last night

Maroon Manc

First season was a very very slow burner, would have stopped watching only for everyone telling me good it was.

nrico2006

Always put The Wire off, couldn't be arsed with another big show but realized yesterday its only 5 seasons so going to start it when off at Christmas.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

thewobbler

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 23, 2018, 07:57:50 AM
Always put The Wire off, couldn't be arsed with another big show but realized yesterday its only 5 seasons so going to start it when off at Christmas.

You'll need to get past the first 3-4 episodes.

First 3-4 episodes introduce you lightly to around 40 characters, many of who are barely discernible from each other until you get used to their character traits. It's wild confusing. Then a light starts to come on. Then you'll watch it all in 3 days.

You probably won't enjoy season 2 until you watch the entire series again a week later, and realise that 3 seasons of plots spawn from it.

It's genius. The greatest show ever made.