Bruce Springsteen and e street band touring in 2012

Started by the Deel Rover, November 21, 2011, 07:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

QuoteAny show that has a triple shot of The Promise/The River/Backstreets is for me an automatic best show ever contender-waited for ages to hear Backstreets - made my month!

There were two lads from Norway with me at the front who had the Backstreets sign up and as soon as he played they turned around shook my hand and said that's it we came to him sing that and left!!! They had been following him for the last 2 months

mouview

Quote from: Ulick on July 20, 2012, 11:36:32 AM
Well I thought the Wednesday show was superb from start to finish. The highlights for me were Something in the Night, Death to My Hometown, Jack of All Trades,  Waitin' on a Sunny Day then Born in the USA until the finish. On a general note, I can't think of any other artist that gets such a range of people attending from young families to OAPs and all having a great time. We had a fourth month old with us and no one batted an eyelid. Security, Guards and St Johns Ambulance were all very helpful regarding changing facilities and the like. We had an absolutely brilliant night with the only hitch being the Port Tunnel being closed without warning on the way back after we had already crossed the East Link toll bridge. Almost ended up in Howth trying to find the M1 again. The tribute to the Big Man was also a nice touch.

Agree with all sentiments expressed about Bruce, e.g. energy, longevity, entertainment etc.

However, quite disappointed about Wednesday night. First 3/4s of an hour fine, especially the older stuff. Then he got into playing some of his new 'flag-waving' album songs which IMHO plain sucked as they're not up to his better quality. Concert improved a bit towards the end again, esp. Backstreets. Don't like Dancing in the Dark or Born in the USA so they did nothing for me. My main complaint was the sound, which was of variable quality, and also that the band were just too brassy and noisy; the lyrics and poetry of the songs were just lost in crashing guitars and overload trumpets and sax. A lot of his lesser rock songs are a bit samey too. Also wished he play some of his slower ballads, as he is probably the best balladeer working in America at present. I was at the Sunday evening show 3 years ago in the RDS and thought he was superb but Wednesday night he was just on auto. At this stage, an acoustic show would be a better bet I think.

Dunno, mebbe just me.

belleaqua

Quote from: mouview on July 20, 2012, 01:51:50 PM
Quote from: Ulick on July 20, 2012, 11:36:32 AM
Well I thought the Wednesday show was superb from start to finish. The highlights for me were Something in the Night, Death to My Hometown, Jack of All Trades,  Waitin' on a Sunny Day then Born in the USA until the finish. On a general note, I can't think of any other artist that gets such a range of people attending from young families to OAPs and all having a great time. We had a fourth month old with us and no one batted an eyelid. Security, Guards and St Johns Ambulance were all very helpful regarding changing facilities and the like. We had an absolutely brilliant night with the only hitch being the Port Tunnel being closed without warning on the way back after we had already crossed the East Link toll bridge. Almost ended up in Howth trying to find the M1 again. The tribute to the Big Man was also a nice touch.

Agree with all sentiments expressed about Bruce, e.g. energy, longevity, entertainment etc.

However, quite disappointed about Wednesday night. First 3/4s of an hour fine, especially the older stuff. Then he got into playing some of his new 'flag-waving' album songs which IMHO plain sucked as they're not up to his better quality. Concert improved a bit towards the end again, esp. Backstreets. Don't like Dancing in the Dark or Born in the USA so they did nothing for me. My main complaint was the sound, which was of variable quality, and also that the band were just too brassy and noisy; the lyrics and poetry of the songs were just lost in crashing guitars and overload trumpets and sax. A lot of his lesser rock songs are a bit samey too. Also wished he play some of his slower ballads, as he is probably the best balladeer working in America at present. I was at the Sunday evening show 3 years ago in the RDS and thought he was superb but Wednesday night he was just on auto. At this stage, an acoustic show would be a better bet I think.

Dunno, mebbe just me.

Jeez there's some fair criticism in there regarding some sound issues depending where you were in the stadium but to suggest he was on auto?? Iv never seen him in better form, constant banter and fooling around (Spirit in the Night) not to mind 3 and a half hours of pure energy all with a huge genuine looking smile on his face?? Added to that was a quality setlist all of which would suggest he was anything but auto.

As for the 'flag waving' songs Im not sure whats meant by this? He has to play his new songs - he's not the Rolling Stones fans want to hear current music. It's the Wrecking Ball Tour not Bruce's Greatest Hits - that would give a fair indication of what was involved. I thought the new stuff was very well received by the crowd at large.

Heard a few people on about the sound though. I was near the front both nights and had no issues but definitely was issues further back.

gallsman

I think Wrecking Ball is his best since The Rising, which is in my top 3 or 4. No problems hearing the new stuff.

bannside

Someone pointed out that he has performed over 70 different songs since the tour started, and no two nights exactly the same. This is stand out for me. How easy would it be for him to stick to a setlist half that number, and rotate it by 10% each night - just to make it appear fresh.

Innovative, Risk taking, Full throttle, Crowd Engaging, 3.5 hours non stop and still producing some of his best stuff in his sixties. Class act.

belleaqua

Quote from: bannside on July 21, 2012, 08:15:09 AM
Someone pointed out that he has performed over 70 different songs since the tour started, and no two nights exactly the same. This is stand out for me. How easy would it be for him to stick to a setlist half that number, and rotate it by 10% each night - just to make it appear fresh.

Innovative, Risk taking, Full throttle, Crowd Engaging, 3.5 hours non stop and still producing some of his best stuff in his sixties. Class act.

115 different songs played since March if you include the US leg of the tour - phenomenal.

ziggy90

Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

bannside