Do you believe in cures?

Yes
44 (71%)
No
18 (29%)

Total Members Voted: 62

delboy

Quote from: nifan on July 02, 2010, 09:41:34 AM
No problem delboy - i just disagree with your tip. I did first aid with the red cross for years and their view was never to apply an oil based unguent, even for soothing.

Tell me why though and then we can discuss it, my own view is that this advice was given to stop people rubbing butter into potentially serious burns and what better way to do that proscribe its use althogether, i can see no reason why once the scald is cooled that an oil based unguent couldn't be used (the proof is in the eating, it works), give me your view of why it shouldn't and what harm this may cause the individual.

nifan

What more is there to discuss?
You said the best way to treat it, I am giving the view of myself and the red cross training.

Oil based traps the heat in and prolongs the effect of the heat, even if it gives a soothing sensation.

delboy

Quote from: nifan on July 02, 2010, 01:29:33 PM
What more is there to discuss?
You said the best way to treat it, I am giving the view of myself and the red cross training.

Oil based traps the heat in and prolongs the effect of the heat, even if it gives a soothing sensation.

Whats to discuss, well im naturally an inquisitve person and i tend not to take things at face value, usually if you question something you either end up learning something new and gain a deeper understanding or you realise that the thing in question has in reality little justification.

So oil based traps in the heat thats the justification fair enough on the face of it but I did specifically say to cool the scald first, minor burns unlike deep burns by their nature don't kick out heat for a long time and are easily cooled. But they can continue to be painful long after the site has been cooled, anything that prevents the airflow getting at it will reduce the pain significantly.
I would argue that effects of trapped heat on a pre-cooled minor scald are minimal, however the continuing pain which is the annoying part of a burn lets be honest can be easily dealt with by minimising airflow over it via whatever means you choose.
I for one would much rather put a dab of an oil based unguent on a minor pre-cooled burn to reduce the pain rather than do nothing becasuse somebody somewhere in the red cross flagged it up as a no no (with little justification as far as i can see).

supersarsfields

For a minor burn all you need is to take the pain away and the best for that is aloe Vera gel.

Puckoon

No problem delboy - i just disagree with your tip. I did first aid with the red cross for years and their view was never to apply an oil based unguent, even for soothing.

Could you boys give us a phonetic pronunciation of this word. It would heighten my enjoyment of this thread no end.

fearglasmor

delboy

Quote from: Puckoon on July 02, 2010, 06:33:29 PM

Could you boys give us a phonetic pronunciation of this word. It would heighten my enjoyment of this thread no end.

Here ya go uhng-gwuhnt  ;) Comes from the latin for annointing.