Galway V Mayo R4 Qualifier

Started by Maroon Manc, July 01, 2019, 10:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 07, 2019, 06:47:12 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 07, 2019, 05:21:11 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on July 07, 2019, 04:05:20 PM
That's that for another year, well done Mayo, best of luck going forward. Galway took too long to get going yesterday, Mayo had 2 goals scored by the time Galway realised they were in a battle. Starting Kyne was nuts, Sean Andy hasn't had a great year but I'd have left him at full back for his presence alone, it upset the whole FB line, he could have done a job at CB maybe but too rusty for full back and he's rarely done well in that position anyway. John Daly, Peter Cooke and Cillian McDaid to a lesser extent were our best on they day. In fairness to Kevin Walsh and his management team they've brought us out of the doldrums, made us competitive and again and a solid Division 1 side but his time is definitely up this year, even the defensive system he draws so much criticism about didn't work this year, our forward play is abysmal and those lads don't seem to be enjoying their football. Time for a change, hopefully someone who can get the most of these players before it's too late.

Stephen Rochford would leap at it imo.

Possibly. I'm sure his ambitions are to be the top dog again somewhere.

PJ has said he's not interested yet because of his work. Whether true or not I don't know. Besides he's barely started with the U20's.

Divilly maybe but he's with PJ at the moment.
I would prefer to see Padraic and JD stay with the U20s for 2 - 3 years and see how they progress at that level and give them the opportunity to prep lads for senior and then step up if that is where their ambitions ultimately lie.

thebackbar1

Well done to Mayo,  the better team won, they will wonder though how they didn't win by more. The changes introduced this year giving the provincial champions home advantage will make their journey all the more difficult. This will be weekend number four for them against Kerry, with only one of those matches at home. It seems we're asking an awful lot of amateur players.

Shame on the GAA for not fixing the match for the hyde, you can be sure that match would of meant a lot more to Roscomon town than it did for Limerick, the GAA needs to be supporting rural  ireland.

The Mayo forwards really seemed to click, getting nice scores from out the pitch. Cillian did well, hard to see how he couldn't of started last weekend.

In relation to Galway, 2019 has been a step backwards, since the london match it was plain to see that too many of the players were out of form.

I thought Cooke and Kyne were the better players for Galway yesterday.

It must be difficult though for the Galway players incessantly hearing that your manager has got it wrong, it must get to you.

In relation to Kevins point about the "crap" I do think he has a point, on facebook there was a lot of keyboard warriors calling for all the corofin players to start, but in fairness he's the one watching them train every week. The Corofin lads will be the first to tell you that inter county is a totally different level to club. There was some person on newstalk commenting that Galways underage system has fallen behind today, that jarlaths was no longer the force it was, but come on we lost this years connaught minor final in extra time, and we won the previous four titles, contesting two all-ireland finals.

I do think its time for Kevin to go, I think after five years a change is needed. As a county we need to get to the bottom of the "fade outs" that Galway have suffered over the past few years, either the players aren't willing to die for Kevin, or there is a distinct lack of leaders on the team.  Kevin was unlucky with corofin going on such a run, he rarely had matches to test teh corofin players out in. The Galway medical team will also need to reflect on their performance. Comer should of been back weeks ago.

Rochford in my opinion is the only option, PJ just doesn't have the managerial experience, we have a set of players coming into their prime and now isn't the time for experimenting with an untested manager.

Mayo4Sam14

Galway could be very strong contenders next year under Rochford imo.
This year seems poised for an end of an era showdown between the biggest rivals of the decade, Mayo and Dublin, with a new champion stepping forward next year - which could very well be Galway I'd they play their cards right.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Duine Eile

Quote from: galwayman on July 07, 2019, 06:44:38 PM
That's that for another year, well done Mayo, best of luck going forward. Galway took too long to get going yesterday, Mayo had 2 goals scored by the time Galway realised they were in a battle. Starting Kyne was nuts, Sean Andy hasn't had a great year but I'd have left him at full back for his presence alone, it upset the whole FB line, he could have done a job at CB maybe but too rusty for full back and he's rarely done well in that position anyway. John Daly, Peter Cooke and Cillian McDaid to a lesser extent were our best on they day. In fairness to Kevin Walsh and his management team they've brought us out of the doldrums, made us competitive and again and a solid Division 1 side but his time is definitely up this year, even the defensive system he draws so much criticism about didn't work this year, our forward play is abysmal and those lads don't seem to be enjoying their football. Time for a change, hopefully someone who can get the most of these players before it's too late.
Maybe I need to watch the game again (I was in a corner of the stand so you miss a lot of stuff at that angle) but to me Kyne was by a mile our best fb line player on the day.
You can't play consistently badly and keep getting selected - so I wouldn't at all blame Walsh for dropping Sean Andy. Let's be honest he has been extremely poor all season.
Dropping him wasnt the cause of Kerin and Silke having nightmare games.
Liam Silke needs a break now imo.
Also I thought McDaid was extremely poor yesterday but again I need to watch it again on tv - maybe I'm being unfair.

When Sean Andy came on Kyne seems to take up a sort of sweeper role, he was moved out anyway, he made some vital interceptions to be fair to him but it wasn't fair to throw him in at full back after 6 months with no football I thought. McDaid was good in fits and starts, when he gets an injury free run at it he'll be a mainstay on the team hopefully. He wasn't consistent enough yesterday but you'd forgive him for that game fen his injury lay off and lack of experience. There's rumours around these parts about Rochford and Dave Morris being interested, I think they be able to get the best out of this bunch.

An Fhairche Abu

2019 can safely be consigned to the dustbin of history, a disastrous year all round for Galway GAA.  As for Mayo they fully deserved to win, better team for the good majority of the match, the Mayo team were fit for a fight last night, they'll fancy themselves in Kerry next week.
What to say about Galway? I've said on here all year that the final assessment of Galway - the system, the players and the management can only be made when the year is over. We're at that point now. I'll preface my comments by saying that the level of commitment and application by all players and management over the whole season has to be acknowledged and admired. Inter county is a phenomenal commitment, they are doing something they love but by the same token it is not something that you can half ass nowadays, it's easy for punters to watch a match and make judgements, far more difficult to be born with the ability to play it and then actually put in all the hard work to realise that, anyone who has the talent, motivation and drive to play inter county has to be respected and absolutely no one involved goes out to play badly. That said we can only discuss what we see between the lines for the 75ish minutes because it's the results from these encounters that is the ultimate judgement.

Starting Kyne was nuts, Sean Andy hasn't had a great year but I'd have left him at full back for his presence alone, it upset the whole FB line, he could have done a job at CB maybe but too rusty for full back and he's rarely done well in that position anyway.

Hold up here, can we judge players on what actually happens on the pitch and not preconceptions and notions? Declan Kyne has taken some amount of criticism during his time in the Galway jersey, maybe because there's no underage pedigree there, his perceived limitations and the fact that he's only from a small Junior club (West board as well which of course which is another negative for some) but compared to the rest of the illustrious panellists from the top clubs in the county he was one of about three Galway men that played anything worth a damn last night. Upset the whole FB line? How? Liam Silke was cleaned out in his last two championship matches regardless of who was playing with him. Kerin was a disaster yesterday, needlessly fouling O'Connor right on the end line for a gimme free when there was no danger, he couldn't tackle, a fouling machine who had to be taken off early before he was sent off. Declan took some licks but I thought he was outstanding and the consensus around me was the same. Turnover after turnover last night in the face of relentless pressure due to failures further out the pitch, the ability to actually execute a successful tackle (Kerin and SAOC should take note), fair shoulders on multiple Mayo players, tough and uncompromising, actual leadership in the face of adversity when plenty of the more heralded players were nowhere to be seen. If we had more of what Kyne brought to that match last night from the bigger names Galway wouldn't be sifting through the detritus of a completely wasted 2019 championship season today.

Silke would have been one of the players that we would have all expected to be a huge addition to Galway for 2019 but his form in the big championship matches was very disappointing, played badly against the Rossies and he was completely cleaned out against Mayo. He is the designated penalty taker and is surely that person for a good reason so I've no issue with him stepping up to it but the tame effort really summed up his travails in Limerick. It was the key moment during the only good period Galway had in the match. The second Mayo goal was absolutely crazy to concede, no other top team would allow it to happen, Silke should have took the hit for the team and just fouled out the pitch. Kerin, who I have a lot of time for as you need players like that to win anything, looks like he's forgotten how to stand up a player and tackle, we've seen him do it before but he is just stupidly fouling at the moment.

I don't know where to begin on the goalkeeping situation, needless to say it clearly didn't work out. Is calamitous too strong a word?
John Daly was the youngest player on the Galway side last night but he showed far more fight and appetite for the battle than most of his teammates, a player to build around moving forward. His brother Michael flattered to deceive yet again, plenty of talent but he is in and out of matches all the time. Heaney has been below par this year, he's an underrated player but all the good qualities that he usually brings have been absent lately, some of his passing against Mayo was just not up to it. O'Donnell provided at least some semblance of leadership last night but his best days in the jersey are behind him, his effort, professionalism and commitment can't be faulted but other options have to be looked at.
McDaid has serious potential but I didn't think he played that well last night despite what others have said. Cooke fantastic in the first half with a serious display of point taking but either he ran out of steam or whatever changes Mayo made certainly nullified his influence in the second half. One of the few to stand up though, another player that we should be looking to build around and try to get him playing well regularly in the county jersey.

I didn't see it myself but if the allegations I read elsewhere that Farragher was jawing at his manager on his way off the pitch are accurate then it's an extremely poor look. I would have been an advocate for him starting as changes had to be made up front in the FF line and his club form over a significant period of time would warrant a shot at the 14 jersey but he didn't play worth a f**k yesterday evening, arguing with the management while (rightly) getting substituted, is frankly a disgrace to the Galway jersey. If that story is nonsense then apologies to Martin Farragher for putting it up here, please disregard that paragraph, however if it's correct then take it as read.
You'd have to say that it was Ian Burke that should have been dropped from the starting lineup instead of Ó Laoi, Burke has been rubbish for Galway all championship, that's the long and the short of it. Shane Walsh well held for most of the match by Durcan, the two missed frees were criminal, have to put those away at this level. Comer coming on was a desperation move, clearly miles off the pace just coming back from his bad injury, the less said the better about his bicycle kick attempt.

Logically I cannot see how Kevin Walsh can continue but if it's left up to himself I wouldn't be surprised to see him try to tough it out and stay on for 2020, whether that is the best thing for Galway football is another matter. I think he deserves kudos for a number of things, he brought a Galway setup going nowhere back to Division One and the last four of the championship. He scoured the county for players that might be able to go a job and brought in a seriousness in terms of preparation that wasn't there previously. Things have gone backwards this year, there's a number of issues outside of KW's control that have contributed to this but ultimately the championship performances have been awful and it looks like the end of the road. The defensive system and coverage and tackling has gone backwards. We looked like we abandoned a system that has been proven to give Mayo difficulties, there is no coherence in the attack. He can point to the key injuries last night and all year but you can't talk about panel development and the depth of talent in the same breath. I was looking at the team line-ups for the whole year this morning and Duggan going off at half time in Tyrone might have had a bigger impact than we previously thought, we haven't looked right since. He has toughness and a bit of dog in him that is hard to replace when going up against ruthlessly cynical (i.e. winning) teams like Mayo, Kerry, Dublin and Tyrone. Leaders like Paul Conroy were sorely missed all year and it really showed last night. Regardless of the criticism that Galway took last year we were generally hard to beat, Tally certainly appears to be a massive loss to the setup this year and whatever Stritch was doing it clearly did not translate effectively to actual match situations.

The fans are tearing strips off Kevin Walsh and the team at the minute so it's only fair that the mirror should be turned back to the stands for a self-assessment. Outside of the hard-core regulars the Galway support is truly pathetic, hopelessly outnumbered yet again in a huge match. "Salthill is too much hassle", fine, there is a clear motorway the whole way from Tuam to Limerick, it's far easier to get out of than Salthill (for those that weren't parked in the Na Pairsiagh grounds at least), didn't make any difference last night. There were more Kerry fans than ourselves at the Tuam league match so the "style of play" is the excuse there. Don't like the style of play, "too many West board players", excuses, excuses. Supporters have nothing to do but show up and give the team a bit of encouragement, the comparison to the footballing support in Roscommon and Mayo is an embarrassment. There's a chance that the management will change now, will the fans therefore return in droves given that the style of play might suit their tastes a bit more now? I won't hold my breath. It's no coincidence that Galway didn't get a thing in the first half from McQullian, it was better than a home advantage for Mayo in Limerick last night, their support was raucous and the likes of McQuillan and Deegan are only too happy to blow the whistle and point their hand to suit the majority of the crowd regardless of what should actually be called.

Given the relentless negativity of this post in general I may as well finish up by pointing out that you'd have to say that the Galway Mayo rivalry both on and off the pitch has turned absolutely toxic in comparison to even as recently as the noughties, there's spite and genuine dislike there now. Some gloating in the stands on the way-out last night and I've no doubt that if the shoe was on the other foot it'd have been every bit as bad from some of the Galway support. Given my own connections I've been in CP cheering Mayo on in All Ireland finals previously, but I couldn't see myself doing it now in any circumstances. Perhaps it's just a reflection of the stakes involved in terms of top level inter county that it's taken so seriously. The excellent "Will Galway Beat Mayo?" by James Laffey is truly a snapshot of a more innocent time in terms of how the rivalry played out that won't be seen again.

Tubberman

QuoteThere was some person on newstalk commenting that Galways underage system has fallen behind today, that jarlaths was no longer the force it was, but come on we lost this years connaught minor final in extra time, and we won the previous four titles, contesting two all-ireland finals.
Maire Treasa Ní Ceallaigh - an absolute bluffer who is getting more airtime solely down to trying to balance the genders of contributors on Newstalk IMHO. 
She has a real bitterness against Mayo too, so I'm sure she's sick about it today 😁
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Duine Eile

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 07, 2019, 09:13:43 PM

Starting Kyne was nuts, Sean Andy hasn't had a great year but I'd have left him at full back for his presence alone, it upset the whole FB line, he could have done a job at CB maybe but too rusty for full back and he's rarely done well in that position anyway.

Hold up here, can we judge players on what actually happens on the pitch and not preconceptions and notions? Declan Kyne has taken some amount of criticism during his time in the Galway jersey, maybe because there's no underage pedigree there, his perceived limitations and the fact that he's only from a small Junior club (West board as well which of course which is another negative for some) but compared to the rest of the illustrious panellists from the top clubs in the county he was one of about three Galway men that played anything worth a damn last night. Upset the whole FB line? How? Liam Silke was cleaned out in his last two championship matches regardless of who was playing with him. Kerin was a disaster yesterday, needlessly fouling O'Connor right on the end line for a gimme free when there was no danger, he couldn't tackle, a fouling machine who had to be taken off early before he was sent off. Declan took some licks but I thought he was outstanding and the consensus around me was the same. Turnover after turnover last night in the face of relentless pressure due to failures further out the pitch, the ability to actually execute a successful tackle (Kerin and SAOC should take note), fair shoulders on multiple Mayo players, tough and uncompromising, actual leadership in the face of adversity when plenty of the more heralded players were nowhere to be seen. If we had more of what Kyne brought to that match last night from the bigger names Galway wouldn't be sifting through the detritus of a completely wasted 2019 championship season today.

Jesus you're in wicked bad form! Starting him at no 3 was nuts and I stand by that statement, not fair to him after being out for so long to expect him to take up such a central role, when he was moved out of there he played better and was one of the ones that tried hardest, maybe I should have clarified that a bit, still don't think he's a full back though, I do think he'd make a very effective centre back however. I know he's your club man and you'll defend him to the end but I think you're over reacting a little bit. I also never heard anyone questioning his background or anything like that, he's put in some good shifts for Galway hopefully will do again next year.

galwayman

Quote from: Tubberman on July 07, 2019, 09:15:25 PM
QuoteThere was some person on newstalk commenting that Galways underage system has fallen behind today, that jarlaths was no longer the force it was, but come on we lost this years connaught minor final in extra time, and we won the previous four titles, contesting two all-ireland finals.
Maire Treasa Ní Ceallaigh - an absolute bluffer who is getting more airtime solely down to trying to balance the genders of contributors on Newstalk IMHO. 
She has a real bitterness against Mayo too, so I'm sure she's sick about it today 😁
Talking through her hole. Galway underage teams don't rely on Jarlaths anymore that's about it.
We have been consistently competitive at minor level for a long while - where she gets that idea is beyond me!

galwayman

2019 can safely be consigned to the dustbin of history, a disastrous year all round for Galway GAA.  As for Mayo they fully deserved to win, better team for the good majority of the match, the Mayo team were fit for a fight last night, they'll fancy themselves in Kerry next week.
What to say about Galway? I've said on here all year that the final assessment of Galway - the system, the players and the management can only be made when the year is over. We're at that point now. I'll preface my comments by saying that the level of commitment and application by all players and management over the whole season has to be acknowledged and admired. Inter county is a phenomenal commitment, they are doing something they love but by the same token it is not something that you can half ass nowadays, it's easy for punters to watch a match and make judgements, far more difficult to be born with the ability to play it and then actually put in all the hard work to realise that, anyone who has the talent, motivation and drive to play inter county has to be respected and absolutely no one involved goes out to play badly. That said we can only discuss what we see between the lines for the 75ish minutes because it's the results from these encounters that is the ultimate judgement.

Silke would have been one of the players that we would have all expected to be a huge addition to Galway for 2019 but his form in the big championship matches was very disappointing, played badly against the Rossies and he was completely cleaned out against Mayo. He is the designated penalty taker and is surely that person for a good reason so I've no issue with him stepping up to it but the tame effort really summed up his travails in Limerick. It was the key moment during the only good period Galway had in the match. The second Mayo goal was absolutely crazy to concede, no other top team would allow it to happen, Silke should have took the hit for the team and just fouled out the pitch. Kerin, who I have a lot of time for as you need players like that to win anything, looks like he's forgotten how to stand up a player and tackle, we've seen him do it before but he is just stupidly fouling at the moment.

I don't know where to begin on the goalkeeping situation, needless to say it clearly didn't work out. Is calamitous too strong a word?
John Daly was the youngest player on the Galway side last night but he showed far more fight and appetite for the battle than most of his teammates, a player to build around moving forward. His brother Michael flattered to deceive yet again, plenty of talent but he is in and out of matches all the time. Heaney has been below par this year, he's an underrated player but all the good qualities that he usually brings have been absent lately, some of his passing against Mayo was just not up to it. O'Donnell provided at least some semblance of leadership last night but his best days in the jersey are behind him, his effort, professionalism and commitment can't be faulted but other options have to be looked at.
McDaid has serious potential but I didn't think he played that well last night despite what others have said. Cooke fantastic in the first half with a serious display of point taking but either he ran out of steam or whatever changes Mayo made certainly nullified his influence in the second half. One of the few to stand up though, another player that we should be looking to build around and try to get him playing well regularly in the county jersey.

I didn't see it myself but if the allegations I read elsewhere that Farragher was jawing at his manager on his way off the pitch are accurate then it's an extremely poor look. I would have been an advocate for him starting as changes had to be made up front in the FF line and his club form over a significant period of time would warrant a shot at the 14 jersey but he didn't play worth a f**k yesterday evening, arguing with the management while (rightly) getting substituted, is frankly a disgrace to the Galway jersey. If that story is nonsense then apologies to Martin Farragher for putting it up here, please disregard that paragraph, however if it's correct then take it as read.
You'd have to say that it was Ian Burke that should have been dropped from the starting lineup instead of Ó Laoi, Burke has been rubbish for Galway all championship, that's the long and the short of it. Shane Walsh well held for most of the match by Durcan, the two missed frees were criminal, have to put those away at this level. Comer coming on was a desperation move, clearly miles off the pace just coming back from his bad injury, the less said the better about his bicycle kick attempt.

Logically I cannot see how Kevin Walsh can continue but if it's left up to himself I wouldn't be surprised to see him try to tough it out and stay on for 2020, whether that is the best thing for Galway football is another matter. I think he deserves kudos for a number of things, he brought a Galway setup going nowhere back to Division One and the last four of the championship. He scoured the county for players that might be able to go a job and brought in a seriousness in terms of preparation that wasn't there previously. Things have gone backwards this year, there's a number of issues outside of KW's control that have contributed to this but ultimately the championship performances have been awful and it looks like the end of the road. The defensive system and coverage and tackling has gone backwards. We looked like we abandoned a system that has been proven to give Mayo difficulties, there is no coherence in the attack. He can point to the key injuries last night and all year but you can't talk about panel development and the depth of talent in the same breath. I was looking at the team line-ups for the whole year this morning and Duggan going off at half time in Tyrone might have had a bigger impact than we previously thought, we haven't looked right since. He has toughness and a bit of dog in him that is hard to replace when going up against ruthlessly cynical (i.e. winning) teams like Mayo, Kerry, Dublin and Tyrone. Leaders like Paul Conroy were sorely missed all year and it really showed last night. Regardless of the criticism that Galway took last year we were generally hard to beat, Tally certainly appears to be a massive loss to the setup this year and whatever Stritch was doing it clearly did not translate effectively to actual match situations.

The fans are tearing strips off Kevin Walsh and the team at the minute so it's only fair that the mirror should be turned back to the stands for a self-assessment. Outside of the hard-core regulars the Galway support is truly pathetic, hopelessly outnumbered yet again in a huge match. "Salthill is too much hassle", fine, there is a clear motorway the whole way from Tuam to Limerick, it's far easier to get out of than Salthill (for those that weren't parked in the Na Pairsiagh grounds at least), didn't make any difference last night. There were more Kerry fans than ourselves at the Tuam league match so the "style of play" is the excuse there. Don't like the style of play, "too many West board players", excuses, excuses. Supporters have nothing to do but show up and give the team a bit of encouragement, the comparison to the footballing support in Roscommon and Mayo is an embarrassment. There's a chance that the management will change now, will the fans therefore return in droves given that the style of play might suit their tastes a bit more now? I won't hold my breath. It's no coincidence that Galway didn't get a thing in the first half from McQullian, it was better than a home advantage for Mayo in Limerick last night, their support was raucous and the likes of McQuillan and Deegan are only too happy to blow the whistle and point their hand to suit the majority of the crowd regardless of what should actually be called.

Given the relentless negativity of this post in general I may as well finish up by pointing out that you'd have to say that the Galway Mayo rivalry both on and off the pitch has turned absolutely toxic in comparison to even as recently as the noughties, there's spite and genuine dislike there now. Some gloating in the stands on the way-out last night and I've no doubt that if the shoe was on the other foot it'd have been every bit as bad from some of the Galway support. Given my own connections I've been in CP cheering Mayo on in All Ireland finals previously, but I couldn't see myself doing it now in any circumstances. Perhaps it's just a reflection of the stakes involved in terms of top level inter county that it's taken so seriously. The excellent "Will Galway Beat Mayo?" by James Laffey is truly a
snapshot of a more innocent time in terms of how the rivalry played out that won't be seen again.
Very good post. Hard to disagree with any of it. It's a pity we don't have more diehards like yourself AFA in Galway football.
The excuses people make not to travel to games are beyond bullshit.
Moving games to Tuam will make no difference on that score.
I'm from North Galway, lived in the city for a long number of years and back in North Galway again now. Tuam Stadium, Pearse Stadium, Duggan Park wherever it makes no difference I'll still turn up.

Haven't had the stomach to watch the game back yet alas.
It's sickening to hear some of the abuse being levelled at the team and management after any game we lose. Everyone expects criticism after a defeat but it seems to be with Galway you're a useless bollix if the team loses and you haven't kicked 1-5 from play!
Kevin Walsh deserves massive credit for bringing the team on - which he has undoubtedly done over the past 5 years. I do think it's now come to the stage where they will have to make a change though going forward. But I really find it distasteful the inevitable dancing on his grave that will follow.

Farrandeelin

That's a good honest review AFA. I enjoy reading your reviews of all Galway matches, good outcomes or bad.

As for Mayo, what can I say? Magnificent performance all round. Can't say a bad word about any player. From Clarke in goals, despite some jittery kick outs, saved our bacon yet again. Mighty penalty save and made a few typical interceptions that he's been noted for doing. While I was worried about the full back line, they put in a good collective effort to hold Galway full forward line to a low score. Boyle, what a player, a true warrior and a terrier. I must say humble pie as I thought he was past it earlier in the year. Durcan did well on Shane Walsh too. Vaughan while not exactly having a particular position(imo of course), if one gets what I mean played very well. He continually bombed back and forward as was needed. Coen and O'Shea did ok. I thought they'd win more clean ball given the Galway midfield that lined out. Coen scored a fine point in the second half. McLoughlin was playing as an extra half forward and was great, picking up breaking ball etc. Doherty played brilliant too. As for James Carr, what a goal. Brilliant, is how I can only describe it. Cillian O'Connor played well, seems back better than he was last year. Darren Coen has been a revelation.

Now for the negatives. I thought Horan disrupted the pattern of play too early. Treacy was brought on for McLoughlin and Regan I think was brought on instead of Carr. I thought they didn't have the same jizz as the two they replaced had. Galway had a good 15ish minutes on top at that stage. Give any of the next three teams 15 minutes on top and not scoring there could be trouble. The Na Piarsaigh car park exit was terrible too.

Onto Killarney. To be honest, I would have bitten anyone's arm off if you told me we would get this far with the three games in three weeks. Yet here we are. I haven't a notion how it's going to play out. Mayo have momentum in their favour, but it's Kerry who have the three week break to study Mayo. All we can do is travel and support them again.

As an aside, the gloating from the fans wasn't nice. It's pretty hypocritical of us to be gloating in people's faces when we were complaining about people gloating in ours. Hard luck to the Galway supporters here who know their stuff. They know who they are. It was still nice to win it though.  :)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 07, 2019, 10:36:00 PM
As an aside, the gloating from the fans wasn't nice. It's pretty hypocritical of us to be gloating in people's faces when we were complaining about people gloating in ours

Disappointing to hear that mayo "fans" were at that sort of sh*te

Great to get the win although we probably should have won by more - considering Galway missed a peno and gifted us the first goal, it could have easily been a lot closer

Even if we don't make a semi, the experience of these games will do the younger lads a world of good

Tubberman

Arah weren't they out in the middle of the MacHale Park pitch in 2016 singing The Fields of Athenry and lifting players onto shoulders etc. Not too many Mayo people gave them stick for that,  so a bit of gloating for a first win in 4 years is understandable,  especially given it was pure knockout.
Know we'll get a decent performance in Killarney, dont really know what to expect from Kerry. A win would set us up nicely.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Tubberman on July 07, 2019, 10:49:28 PM
Arah weren't they out in the middle of the MacHale Park pitch in 2016 singing The Fields of Athenry and lifting players onto shoulders etc. Not too many Mayo people gave them stick for that

Sure why would they?

moysider

Given the relentless negativity of this post in general I may as well finish up by pointing out that you'd have to say that the Galway Mayo rivalry both on and off the pitch has turned absolutely toxic in comparison to even as recently as the noughties, there's spite and genuine dislike there now. Some gloating in the stands on the way-out last night and I've no doubt that if the shoe was on the other foot it'd have been every bit as bad from some of the Galway support. Given my own connections I've been in CP cheering Mayo on in All Ireland finals previously, but I couldn't see myself doing it now in any circumstances. Perhaps it's just a reflection of the stakes involved in terms of top level inter county that it's taken so seriously. The excellent "Will Galway Beat Mayo?" by James Laffey is truly a snapshot of a more innocent time in terms of how the rivalry played out that won't be seen again.

Apparently the managers 'forgot' to shake hands at end of the game as well.

I've seen some gloating down the years, including Galway fans. I've seen it from Sligos and Fermanaghs.  I dont like it.

Tubberman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 07, 2019, 10:57:41 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on July 07, 2019, 10:49:28 PM
Arah weren't they out in the middle of the MacHale Park pitch in 2016 singing The Fields of Athenry and lifting players onto shoulders etc. Not too many Mayo people gave them stick for that

Sure why would they?

Exactly