Galway V Mayo R4 Qualifier

Started by Maroon Manc, July 01, 2019, 10:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

The team to stop the 5 in a row are through...

Hound

For a long time now, Mayo know exactly how to play McQuillan. Have him off to a tee.

Wouldn't give a whole lot of credit to Galway for the supposed comeback. Mayo were 6 or 7 points up for practically the whole game. Very comfortable, and would most likely have kicked on again had Galway got the goal earlier.

Not altogether convincing by Mayo of course, but I think their experience will see them over the line v Kerry, after a man of the match performance by the full forward to get them into a winning position

From the Bunker

Quote from: red hander on July 06, 2019, 10:21:57 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 06, 2019, 08:51:52 PM
Quote from: red hander on July 06, 2019, 08:45:32 PM
Think this Mayo team is treading water at this stage. Nearly beaten by an average Armagh team at home and made heavy work of an average Galway team. Before Mayo people start attacking, I'd love Mayo to win Sam, but can't see it

Yeah, tell us something we don't know! Dads Army can't go on forever! Feck me they did their best against a Doped Dublin for nearly a decade. You can only go to the well so many time. But feck me they are a stubborn bunch!
They certainly are a stubborn bunch. Would love to see them do it, really would, and I think most of Ireland would do too

They won't! But you have to love the annual effort!

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Chimley on July 06, 2019, 10:00:47 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 06, 2019, 09:51:41 PM
Quote from: Rudi on July 06, 2019, 09:10:40 PM
Fair play to Mayo wouldnt be at all surprised if they beat Kerry next weekend. Galway to their credit never gave up unlike Cavan
Losing to Mayo is one thing but Rossie plámás is beyond the pale

I thought that Galway showed a lot more today than against the Rossies even though they got hit by two early sucker punches. Take them away and there's nothing in that game and considering the start that Mayo got, we were lucky to come out on top against a depleted Galway team.

The future will be interesting. Galway looked to have the indian sign on us recently, but we seem to have uncovered some gems like Ruane, Coen, Carr and McDonagh since this time last year.

As I said earlier, Galway have some awesome young talent too and when you have a more progressive manager, there will be better days ahead. I'd say that we're going to have some big battles in store.

I don't they did they. Galway had a good 1st half in the Connacht final and led by 5 points. Today they lost that match in the 1st half and could arguably say the first 10 minutes.  Apart from some good points by Cooke Galway were very poor in the first 35 minutes.

When 8 points down 2nd half they had 15 minute purple patch but Mayo kept them at arms length and but for a late goal from a free Mayo would have won that game by 6 points which would be fair reflection to how the contest went.

That defeat will likely mark the end of Kevin Walsh, from the team he chose to start to subs brought on was on the signs of a desperate man.

His first year ended in a round 4 defeat so its started as it has finished for him.  In between he has led them back to back Div 1 after 7 years away,won a few Connacht titles (Galway had a 8 year wait for one of them) and his peak was last year with leading Galway to the NFL final and All Ireland semi final big progress from the Galway side that were getting knocked out of the championship by Antrim and Wexford before he arrived.

sid waddell

I loved that game. It was gripping, had some great football, and was full of pure shithousery of the kind people claim to hate but in reality absolutely love. It was like watching peak late 80s Meath in action. The bitterness and the needle were a joy to behold.

It's not hip to say this sort of thing nowadays, but before the throw in, Aidan O'Shea and Donal Vaughan bullied the Galway midfielders, they asserted their physical dominance over them, and Mayo's performance flowed from that.

Mayo's dominance for most of the match was cornerstoned by that fearsome physical aggression, and they put the wind right up Galway.

It's no coincidence that Matthew Ruane and Diarmuid O'Connor both broke bones in training. It's obvious Mayo have been training like they played tonight, they're prepared to knock lumps out of anyone and everyone, and more power to them for it, that's what championship football is all about.

Shine on you crazy green and red diamonds.

GaillimhIarthair

Well done to Mayo, better team this evening and fully deserved the win.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: sid waddell on July 06, 2019, 10:36:55 PM
I loved that game. It was gripping, had some great football, and was full of pure shithousery of the kind people claim to hate but in reality absolutely love. It was like watching peak late 80s Meath in action. The bitterness and the needle were a joy to behold.

It's not hip to say this sort of thing nowadays, but before the throw in, Aidan O'Shea and Donal Vaughan bullied the Galway midfielders, they asserted their physical dominance over them, and Mayo's performance flowed from that.

Cillian McDaid is not a midfielder to be fair to him but with injuries ended up there. And Peter Cooke was the other fella in there and he kicked 0-4 from play in the first half so if he was physically shook he hid it well.

yellowcard

Quote from: sid waddell on July 06, 2019, 10:36:55 PM

Mayo's dominance for most of the match was cornerstoned by that fearsome physical aggression, and they put the wind right up Galway.

It's no coincidence that Matthew Ruane and Diarmuid O'Connor both broke bones in training. It's obvious Mayo have been training like they played tonight, they're prepared to knock lumps out of anyone and everyone, and more power to them for it, that's what championship football is all about.

Shine on you crazy green and red diamonds.

Thought Galway midfield played well, fine margins if Galway had scored the penalty and a few easy free kicks the narrative would be completely different.

giveballaghback

Im sick to the teeth of reading that Shane Walsh is a quality footballer, he may have some ball skills all right but when the chips are down he a choker and at best a show pony.

From the Bunker

galwayman

Quote from: giveballaghback on July 06, 2019, 11:19:42 PM
Im sick to the teeth of reading that Shane Walsh is a quality footballer, he may have some ball skills all right but when the chips are down he a choker and at best a show pony.
Didn't play well today for sure.
Were the chips not down in Hyde Park last year when he dragged us to a Connacht title nearly on his own at times?

chrissears

That's a bit harsh I thought he did well but I did not understand Galway tactics, it seemed to be pull, drag, trip any mayo player. When you did start to play football in second half you did well.

From the Bunker

Quote from: chrissears on July 06, 2019, 11:53:47 PM
That's a bit harsh I thought he did well but I did not understand Galway tactics, it seemed to be pull, drag, trip any mayo player. When you did start to play football in second half you did well.

Ah, that's the GAA. You can throw anything at the losing player.

Rossfan

Best team won.
Can anyone stop the Superhus?
I expect that's the end of Kevin Walsh as a County manager.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

galwayman

Quote from: Rossfan on July 07, 2019, 12:06:15 AM
Best team won.
Can anyone stop the Superhus?
I expect that's the end of Kevin Walsh as a County manager.
The end of the line for Kevin as Galway manager anyway definitely.
It has gone pear shaped this year but overall he has done a very good job with us given the situation he inherited.