Galway V Mayo R4 Qualifier

Started by Maroon Manc, July 01, 2019, 10:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 04, 2019, 10:25:09 PM
That too. Yeah I think most would agree that for Galway to improve a better manager maybe needed.

Comer in his correct position with good service can be unstoppable
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 04, 2019, 01:12:48 PM
Who is Eamon Donoghue?

He's Mick Donoghue's second lad. Do you remember, the eldest lad, Michael, went to America and got ran, ended up in Canada. He was a big loss to the club, Michael was. Eamon was more of a chess man, God love him.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 04, 2019, 08:02:55 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 04, 2019, 06:43:31 PM
I think a defeat for Galway on Saturday could be the making of them, genuine All Ireland contenders if they get the manager right for next year imo.

I guess if we lose on Saturday, there's a silver lining in that it might prolong Walsh's tenure - not withstanding his good record against us, Galway would be better without him imo

Winning an All-Ireland will prolong Walsh's tenure. Maybe making the final. Anything less and he's toast. Beating Mayo is been there, done that for him.

mouview

Quote from: galwayman on July 03, 2019, 07:19:51 PM
Quote from: Duine Eile on July 03, 2019, 04:57:01 PM
Tom Flynn and Gareth Bradshaw the latest injury concerns for Galway, no end to the injuries for either side by the looks of things.
Is Bradshaw definitely injured?
I know he didn't play for Moycullen in the last round but he was suspended anyway as was sent off in the first round game.

Bradshaw injured for last Moycullen game, wasn't suspended I think, as it was 2 yellows in previous round. Of all the injuris Galway have, his is the least concerning as John Daly can cover at CHB with McDaid or Heaney on the wing.

An Fhairche Abu

From a Galway perspective what players we are going to be able to line out at midfield the key issue for tomorrow, not being able to get hold of the ball consistently in the second half of the Connacht final was the biggest problem (there was a range of problems all over the field, but this was the most pressing). Galway aren't playing well enough to survive on scraps of possession currently.

I'd be confident enough that KW will not change the style of play at this stage, I've seen some people expecting that he will do a major change up because it's do or die, I cannot see it happening. It's worked against Mayo before and he'll stick with it.

There's a good few Galway players that have not hit form in Championship 2019. Heaney hasn't been up to his usual level, after a great league Cummins was woeful against Sligo and London, O'Ceallaigh has been a disaster waiting to happen at FB, Kerin is mixing the bad and the good within matches, and how much has Gary O'Donnell got to offer as a starter at this stage based on performances to date? I have to assume that Flynn wasn't near 100% against the Rossies, he has been excellent for Galway in the past 12 months and he had a shocker in the Connacht final.
Ian Burke hasn't played well at all for Galway this year either. Now there's a lot of folk who point to the system not suiting him but to be honest regardless of the system he's been really subpar. I don't think that he'll be dropped for tomorrow, but something has to be done in terms of the FF line as it's just not working at the moment, perhaps Farragher starting at 14.
Unless he has had a miracle recovery if we see Comer at any point tomorrow evening I think it'll only be in a season on the line desperation scenario, if he's not near right Galway are better off leaving him out and let him come back for next year hopefully in a much healthier position, this year is nearly in write off territory already.

On the assumption that the Galway midfield injury issues are as advertised, that the Galway player form lines continue as they have this year and that O'Shea plays and isn't hobbled by a knock you'd have to give a hesitant nod to Mayo – at least they have a number of players like Coen and O'Shea who have been playing really well during the Championship and they are well overdue a win against Galway. I think the injuries on both sides might balance themselves out and if Mayo secure the majority of the possession in the middle third I can't see how Galway will win, they just aren't playing good enough. Against that I genuinely think that the Mayo full back line is there to be taken to the cleaners, not sure that Galway are the team to do so however.
I'm hoping that Galway will turn it around because this is going to be an absolute sickener to lose for either county, but I expected a serious uptick for the Connacht final yet instead we were routed in one of the worst second half performances I've ever seen from the Seniors, it's hard to have any confidence in Galway turning it around at this stage in that context, too many players just not playing well enough.

larryin89

That's mad I feel the exact same as an fhairche abu except the other way around .galway fb line can be got at but I don't think we will win enough ball in the middle to beat Galway or test their fb line
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

macdanger2

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 05, 2019, 11:52:18 AM
this is going to be an absolute sickener to lose for either county

That is a fact!!

GalwayBayBoy

Galway manager Kevin Walsh admits that finding a midfield pairing fit enough to face Mayo is torture at the moment.

Just days before their All-Ireland SFC qualifier clash against Mayo at the Gaelic Grounds, Walsh is left in the situation where five first-choice midfielders are on the treatment table.

Cein D'Arcy (hand), Fiontáin Ó Curraoin (hamstring), Ciaran Duggan (knee), Tom Flynn (foot) and Peter Cooke (foot) are all sidelined at present.

Walsh explained to the Connacht Tribune that Duggan is definitely out of the Mayo clash, but he is hoping that two of the remaining four pull through.

"It's torture at the minute," said Walsh. "Cein D'Arcy got a bad hand injury during the week; Ciaran Duggan won't be returning for this one; Fiontáin Ó Currain is nursing a hamstring injury; and Tom Flynn and Peter Cooke are under pressure with foot injuries as well.

"So our five midfielders are under pressure. Hopefully, one or two will come through by the end of the week but we'll see."

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: larryin89 on July 05, 2019, 12:16:48 PM
That's mad I feel the exact same as an fhairche abu except the other way around .galway fb line can be got at but I don't think we will win enough ball in the middle to beat Galway or test their fb line
Looking like this is one area where we will have real problems tomorrow eve based on the genuine injury news from the Galway camp.  That being likely and based on our very poor performances to date, I think it going to be a tough evening for us unfortunately.

Maroon Manc

It looks Galway are been tipped by many in the media based Mayo's injuries whilst totally ignoring Galway's injury problems and complete lack of form since the end of the league.

We know what to expect from Mayo but haven't got a clue what Galway will turn up so based on that Mayo have to be favourites.

Blowitupref

Mayo are favourites with all of the bookies to win by a point or two and law of average says they are due a win v Galway.  No teams published yet, looks like both managers aren't too keen to give anything away other that let the media talk up the injury list they have and i reckon a number of players that are meant to be ruled out will start this game.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

MayoBuck

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
2. Chris Barrett - Belmullet
3. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5. Patrick Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels(C)
6. Colm Boyle - Davitts
7. Michael Plunkett - Ballintubber
8. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
9. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
10. Fionn McDonagh - Westport
11. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
12. Ciaran Treacy - Ballina Stephenites
13. Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
14. Darren Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
15. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore

highorlow

Quote1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
2. Chris Barrett - Belmullet
3. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
5. Patrick Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels(C)
6. Colm Boyle - Davitts
7. Michael Plunkett - Ballintubber
8. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
9. Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
10. Fionn McDonagh - Westport
11. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
12. Ciaran Treacy - Ballina Stephenites
13. Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
14. Darren Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
15. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore

What's this now? The team or the latest injury list?
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

larryin89

Rumour flying about leeroy will play some part .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

GalwayBayBoy

The @Galway_GAA team to play @MayoGAA - R Lavelle; E Kerin, SA O Ceallaigh, L Silke; G O'Donnell, C McDaid, J Daly; T Flynn, M Daly; P Cooke, S Walsh, J Heaney; A O Laoi, M Farragher, I Burke.