Galway V Mayo R4 Qualifier

Started by Maroon Manc, July 01, 2019, 10:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 01, 2019, 10:25:06 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 01, 2019, 08:33:31 PM
It "wasn't considered" by the fixture makers.
No doubt a certain member of the CCCC said it wasn't big enough ::)

John Prenty using his influence again i presume and isn't he part of the CCCC now? not big enough is total nonsense. A little over 18K for a home Mayo qualifier last weekend and Galway won't have as many supporters traveling to this game as Armagh had last weekend.

You're wrong though , Mayo support could possibly be looking for 25k tickets for a clash with Galway in Hyde park in a knockout situation.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

And the Hyde could hold them all but due to the present day requirements and consequent Insurance limits we cant admit that many.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rudi

Don't agree with McStay, if Galway lose think it will be the making of them, Walsh gone new manager in and plenty of quality players for a more positive approach. Mayo will probably have a re build but as far as I can see have plenty of decent players coming through. Connacht will be competitive in the coming years.

rosnarun

Quote from: larryin89 on July 02, 2019, 10:48:58 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 01, 2019, 10:25:06 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 01, 2019, 08:33:31 PM
It "wasn't considered" by the fixture makers.
No doubt a certain member of the CCCC said it wasn't big enough ::)

John Prenty using his influence again i presume and isn't he part of the CCCC now? not big enough is total nonsense. A little over 18K for a home Mayo qualifier last weekend and Galway won't have as many supporters traveling to this game as Armagh had last weekend.

You're wrong though , Mayo support could possibly be looking for 25k tickets for a clash with Galway in Hyde park in a knockout situation.
supporting a county side is a very different animal if youy take the scenic route  through all the qualifiers and suer8s
not long ago mayo could be playing 3 games to get to an all Ireland final spread out over may to late September  now its 11 games finishing in late august .
Its gives you a liilte insight into the commitment involved for the players,
for the last 2 and the next god knows how long  every weekend is affected , 
not to mention the expense esp for Families and not just counting ticket prices , ( did I hear €35 for Saturday?)
but what else would you rather be doing
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

rosnarun

Quote from: Rudi on July 02, 2019, 11:15:13 AM
Don't agree with McStay, if Galway lose think it will be the making of them, Walsh gone new manager in and plenty of quality players for a more positive approach. Mayo will probably have a re build but as far as I can see have plenty of decent players coming through. Connacht will be competitive in the coming years.
ive ofthen thought alright Walsh is the wrong manager for such a talented bunch of players who would love to be playing off the cuff,
and sure so what if they lost to mayo , its the right thing to do
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 02, 2019, 10:31:08 AM
It will be the end of the line for Walsh if Galway lose, Galway certainly won't be rocked by any retirements after the game so not sure what McStay is on about; Bradshaw the only one at retirement age.

Yeah first thing I noticed from that. Galway lose and Walsh is almost certainly gone but they will hardly lose anyone to retirement. It's a fairly young squad still. Maybe Bradshaw or O'Donnell but you'll find plenty who think there are better players waiting in the wings for them anyway at this stage.

Blowitupref

Attendance for some recent round 4 knock out championship games involving Mayo and Galway played in neutral venues

Cork v Mayo in Gaelic Grounds  : 13,505
Galway v Donegal in Markievicz Park : 10,564

Should be interesting to see what the attendance will be in Limerick as all ticket game in Hyde Park would be a sell out while 20k plus would attend if the game was played in Castlebar or Salthill and TBH i still can understand why both couldn't agree on a toss of a coin for home advantage than opting for Limerick.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 02, 2019, 12:42:40 PM
Attendance for some recent round 4 knock out championship games involving Mayo and Galway played in neutral venues

Should be interesting to see what the attendance will be in Limerick as all ticket game in Hyde Park would be a sell out while 20k plus would attend if the game was played in Castlebar or Salthill and TBH i still can understand why both couldn't agree on a toss of a coin for home advantage than opting for Limerick.

Galway were happy to toss a coin for home game, the Mayo County Board weren't.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 02, 2019, 12:59:38 PM

Can anyone elaborate why the Mayo county board weren't happy? both are well versed in the home and away agreement in the Connacht championship and i think more supporters would attend this game if it was kept in Connacht.   
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 02, 2019, 01:03:49 PM

Can anyone elaborate why the Mayo county board weren't happy? both are well versed in the home and away agreement in the Connacht championship and i think more supporters would attend this game if it was kept in Connacht.

Poor record in Castlebar and Salthill. This is a do or die game, and they're entitled to a neutral venue.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

weareros

Although I said it jokingly, MacHale is not a happy hunting ground for Mayo of late against defensive teams like Galway. They were likely afraid they would get home advantage on this occasion.

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 02, 2019, 11:48:02 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 02, 2019, 10:31:08 AM
It will be the end of the line for Walsh if Galway lose, Galway certainly won't be rocked by any retirements after the game so not sure what McStay is on about; Bradshaw the only one at retirement age.

Yeah first thing I noticed from that. Galway lose and Walsh is almost certainly gone but they will hardly lose anyone to retirement. It's a fairly young squad still. Maybe Bradshaw or O'Donnell but you'll find plenty who think there are better players waiting in the wings for them anyway at this stage.
If Galway lose that will probably be the end of the road for KW. And players will be dropped by the incoming regime. The collapses are all in the head.  You can't build a winning mentality with fellas who don't believe in the team.  They should be able to to defend a 5 point lead but they can't. And that is not acceptable. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Blowitupref

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 02, 2019, 01:07:22 PM

Poor record in Castlebar and Salthill. This is a do or die game, and they're entitled to a neutral venue.

Mayo are unbeaten in qualifiers in Castlebar. Mayo have won 3 of their last 4 championship games v Galway in Salthill.

Rossfan

Horan probably wants to play on a full size pitch with a good surface.
McHale doesn't provide either.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 02, 2019, 01:14:44 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 02, 2019, 01:07:22 PM

Mayo are unbeaten in qualifiers in Castlebar. Mayo have won 3 of their last 4 championship games v Galway in Salthill.

That's so irrelevant in today's money , at present we struggle at mchale Park especially against a team like Galway who can set up accordingly for small pitch . This is a big game , win this and along with the league title it's a satisfactory season , doesn't really matter what happens in super 8 if we did win , it genuinely is bonus territory.  Btw I don't think we will win
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .