Jimmy McGuinness

Started by here comes 6, September 27, 2012, 08:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insane Bolt

yellowcard

Quote from: oakleaflad on December 07, 2018, 11:30:32 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on December 07, 2018, 11:15:05 AM
It's one hell of a story of Jim's life. I know him and his wife and kids and I remember how bleak things looked for him before he got the Donegal job. He had all these qualifications after spending ages in college and loads of self belief but no solid experience. He was sitting beside me at a wedding and he told me all his plans of what he was gonna do with Donegal and how he admired Mickey Harte and what he achieved with Tyrone.

i'd say that's why he is going to the US as his first soccer fits team coach job to get experience of being a head coach for the first time away from all the hype of Europe. Small fish in a big pond where he will learn his trade whilst earning huge money for his family.

I was amazed when he left Donegal first to go to Celtic as I knew how much living at home meant for him and his family but then even more shocked when he went to China but the man is ambitious and like Harte very single minded as Kevin Cassidy found out.
I will not be surprised if he becomes a top coach in the premier league some day. As he says himself above, its just people and life and managing them to get what ye need out of them.

However, unlike Getoverthebar, I think he went too far though with how he changed our GAA game and how we have went through a period of paralysis by analysis. Some can argue Kerry had wing forwards tracking back in the 70s and short kick outs and then many would say Armagh and Tyrone brought in a lot more tactics during the early 00's but I think Jim with his total defensive blanket changed our game forever. It has become much more soccer or basketball like I feel with it no longer a man on man scenario. Possession is king and so the joy of watching a player take on crazy passes or shots or try to beat his man is gone as there will be too many players back sweeping to catch him should he beat his man. Yes sensible and good defending but as a spectacle our game has gone backwards big time and I definitely lay a lot of that blame at Jim's door.
Even in his article in the Irish Times a few weeks before this years final about how he thinks Tyrone's best chance is to go ultra defensive, almost like that terrible low scoring game in 2011 was it? It almost sounded as if he wanted to still justify he was right to play that way.
Anyway fair play to him in the States and I hope he make a fist of it.
I'd say it's because he couldn't get a head coach role in Europe

I'd say you're right here, that combined with the financial package!! Dundalk have a vacancy at the minute and I'm not sure he would come under consideration for that job but it would have been an interesting prospect.

Has he even got full coaching qualifications yet, I'm not sure that he has.

The logical step would have been for him to take a LOI job at the likes of Finn Harps or Derry City (if qualifications even allow him) and learn the intricacies of professional football in a less pressurised environment. It would take a massive leap of faith to think that he can make a premier league manager but if he can prove himself and given his ties, then he could potentially be a Celtic manager at some stage in the future. However he is quite late coming to the gig and there is no guarantee he will make a success as a professional football manager.

Hope it works out for him though, always good to see a fellow Irishman doing well for himself abroad.

Taylor

Few people have managed the financial package he is on.

Has it been released somewhere or what sort of money would he be on?

seafoid

It's one hell of a story of Jim's life. I know him and his wife and kids and I remember how bleak things looked for him before he got the Donegal job. He had all these qualifications after spending ages in college and loads of self belief but no solid experience. He was sitting beside me at a wedding and he told me all his plans of what he was gonna do with Donegal and how he admired Mickey Harte and what he achieved with Tyrone.

i'd say that's why he is going to the US as his first soccer fits team coach job to get experience of being a head coach for the first time away from all the hype of Europe. Small fish in a big pond where he will learn his trade whilst earning huge money for his family.

I was amazed when he left Donegal first to go to Celtic as I knew how much living at home meant for him and his family but then even more shocked when he went to China but the man is ambitious and like Harte very single minded as Kevin Cassidy found out.
I will not be surprised if he becomes a top coach in the premier league some day. As he says himself above, its just people and life and managing them to get what ye need out of them.

However, unlike Getoverthebar, I think he went too far though with how he changed our GAA game and how we have went through a period of paralysis by analysis. Some can argue Kerry had wing forwards tracking back in the 70s and short kick outs and then many would say Armagh and Tyrone brought in a lot more tactics during the early 00's but I think Jim with his total defensive blanket changed our game forever. It has become much more soccer or basketball like I feel with it no longer a man on man scenario. Possession is king and so the joy of watching a player take on crazy passes or shots or try to beat his man is gone as there will be too many players back sweeping to catch him should he beat his man. Yes sensible and good defending but as a spectacle our game has gone backwards big time and I definitely lay a lot of that blame at Jim's door.
Even in his article in the Irish Times a few weeks before this years final about how he thinks Tyrone's best chance is to go ultra defensive, almost like that terrible low scoring game in 2011 was it? It almost sounded as if he wanted to still justify he was right to play that way.

Great post Fuzzman. McGuinness is very driven but the state of football isn't down to him alone.
Jim Gavin is no angel either but. there is more to it.  There is a thing in politics called a historical block where an idea becomes popular at an elite level and then dominant. I think that is what happened.

It would be great if he could make a success of it. I still don't understand how they only won the one Sam.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

JoG2

Quote from: yellowcard on December 07, 2018, 01:51:58 PM

I'd say you're right here, that combined with the financial package!! Dundalk have a vacancy at the minute and I'm not sure he would come under consideration for that job but it would have been an interesting prospect.

The logical step would have been for him to take a LOI job at the likes of Finn Harps or Derry City (if qualifications even allow him) and learn the intricacies of professional football in a less pressurised environment. It would take a massive leap of faith to think that he can make a premier league manager but if he can prove himself and given his ties, then he could potentially be a Celtic manager at some stage in the future. However he is quite late coming to the gig and there is no guarantee he will make a success as a professional football manager.

Hope it works out for him though, always good to see a fellow Irishman doing well for himself abroad.

Is this a joke question??

yellowcard

Quote from: Taylor on December 07, 2018, 01:53:30 PM

If it comes anywhere near the finacial package he was on in Beijing then it's winner winner chicken dinner for Jimmy!!

yellowcard

Quote from: JoG2 on December 07, 2018, 01:56:08 PM

No.

Main Street

Quote from: yellowcard on December 07, 2018, 01:58:13 PM

No.
He had the coaching equivalent of the L plate, the Uefa B level badge
He might have obtained his UEFA A level coaching badge this summer, which is basic requirement for coaching any team, any age, outside the top level.
But most definitely he has not got the uefa pro level license.

JoG2

Quote from: Main Street on December 07, 2018, 02:52:36 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on December 07, 2018, 01:58:13 PM

No.
He had the coaching equivalent of the L plate, the Uefa B level badge
He might have obtained his UEFA A level coaching badge this summer, which is basic requirement for coaching any team, any age, outside the top level.
But most definitely he has not got the uefa pro level license.

UEFA A to coach wains? There wouldn't be too many wains getting coached

rodney trotter

Wains? Are you Scotish

Fair play to McGuinness. It's a surprise he didn't put forward his name forward for the Dundalk job. They would have good backing with Peak 6.

Minder

Quote from: yellowcard on December 07, 2018, 01:56:13 PM

If it comes anywhere near the finacial package he was on in Beijing then it's winner winner chicken dinner for Jimmy!!

I doubt managing in the second tier of "soccer" in the US is too lucrative
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

J70

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 07, 2018, 03:32:47 PM
Wains? Are you Scotish

Fair play to McGuinness. It's a surprise he didn't put forward his name forward for the Dundalk job. They would have good backing with Peak 6.

Don't know about anywhere else, but "wains" (should it be spelt "weans"?) was very commonly used in south Donegal where I grew up.

Gabriel_Hurl

it isn't - USL players are probably making $2,000 to $3,000/month during the season

Main Street

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 07, 2018, 03:32:47 PM
Wains? Are you Scotish

Quote from: Minder on December 07, 2018, 04:00:07 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on December 07, 2018, 01:56:13 PM

I doubt managing in the second tier of "soccer" in the US is too lucrative
He can probably do the groundsman duties as well and pick up an extra few dollars. I'd say the motivational speech circuit is  choc a block in the USA

twohands!!!

Last year the Charlotte Independence's 18 home games had a total attendance of 29,858 or an average attendance per game of 1,659.

According to their website, season ticket prices start from €153.

I really can't see being head coach of this team as anything anyone would describe as lucrative.