Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Antrim footballers came out of Armagh tonight with a lot of credit. We matched them for 60 minutes, toe to toe literally in a fairly tempestuous encounter. An awful lot to like about the spirit of this almost completely new look team....that's four games in a row now where we have held our own and some so called supporters are still not giving any kind of credit where it's due.

Talking to a lot of the players and it's clear there is a strong bond with management. And make no mistake they will be bursting their guts next Sunday against Longford to get the points that will keep us safe.

Anyone who thinks of calling themselves an Antrim supporter needs to get there next Sunday and support their team. If you were at the Athletic grounds tonight you would know that that's the least they deserve.

bannside

Many Antrim teams would have folded when Armagh went five clear.  But the last twenty minutes we really tore into them and at the end most Armagh supporters were glad to hear the final whistle. It was a tough environ, big noisy home support, Armagh still in hunt for promotion, and the game was very physical...but our lads stood strong and I'd say won over a lot of neutrals for the way they went at Armagh at the finish.

Only problem was the ten minutes at the start of the second half. We went into a shell and invited them onto us. They didn't look that gift horse in the mouth and reeled off five points in a row. That's what beat us in the end. We showed them to much respect if you ask me.

bannside

Conor Hamill and Peter Healy have turned out to be really good corner backs and are going from strength to strength.

The three Paddy's (Gallagher, Mc Bride and Mc Aleer) are also looking very comfortable playing NFL div 3 and not an inch out of their depth.

Up front CJ is doing his stuff consistently at last. I'm not sure about Tomas whether or not he's coming back but him and CJ and Ryan Murray would give us some threat up front if they were all on at the same time!

paddyjohn

County PRO doing a super job promoting the game this weekend, pity there is a full fixture list for Div3 & Div2 reserve at the same time.

Catch 22 for the fixture makers.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 28, 2017, 10:45:11 AM
County PRO doing a super job promoting the game this weekend, pity there is a full fixture list for Div3 & Div2 reserve at the same time.

Thats not a lot in fairness, you could have huring and all div football games going on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 28, 2017, 11:07:12 AM

Thats not a lot in fairness, you could have huring and all div football games going on

Do Div3 players and clubs not want to go and watch their county play?

takeyourpoint

Judging by previous crowds at Corrigan, no they don't.

country bumpkin

Agree our PRO is doing a splendid job....but seems some would refuse to give him any credit at all .

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 28, 2017, 11:39:55 AM

I dont know, but its never always been a closed date for games and county games... The Westmeath game was on at 1pm on Sunday and the Armagh match was on Saturday night... what was the crowds like at Armagh PJ?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 28, 2017, 01:14:05 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on March 28, 2017, 11:39:55 AM

I dont know, but its never always been a closed date for games and county games... The Westmeath game was on at 1pm on Sunday and the Armagh match was on Saturday night... what was the crowds like at Armagh PJ?

Going by twitter they were ok, unfortunately I was grafting at that time on Saturday night.

Hectic

Not sure what the big deal is - bit more daylight now - nothing to stop two competing teams knocking their heads together and agreeing to play their game a little later on Sunday if there is big interest in attending the county fixture. 

Might still knock a few thousand off the club gates though if supporters decide attending one game on the day is enough and opt for the county game as their first choice but sure even in that case the county could forgo the pre match meal and instead compensate the clubs for their loss of takings.

paddyjohn

Not really a big deal, highlights the issue that the CCC face.

Hectic

Yeah look PaddyJohn you probably know as well as me that there is always a lot of horse trading going on in the background around league fixtures, especially when you hit the summer.  I suppose there is also location of matches to consider - if a game is being played in Belfast then putting it back to 4pm could work for all parties for Sunday but a game being played on the reaches such as Ballycastle v Mitchells this becomes more of a difficulty.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Hectic on March 28, 2017, 02:42:35 PM
Yeah look PaddyJohn you probably know as well as me that there is always a lot of horse trading going on in the background around league fixtures, especially when you hit the summer.  I suppose there is also location of matches to consider - if a game is being played in Belfast then putting it back to 4pm could work for all parties for Sunday but a game being played on the reaches such as Ballycastle v Mitchells this becomes more of a difficulty.

There's some common sense in that post Hectic 👍

Milltown Row2

I think it very handy or petty, depends what way you'll take it, but certainly we've a couple of posters happy enough to stick the knife in at every opportunity they can at people giving up their time to help run the county and all it's needs while not using their own names!

Easy to knock I suppose