FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

I agree that McGeady was our best attacking outlet but really at this stage of his career he should have more consistency in his final ball. That's why I said he's the most frustrating type of player because he has ability but unless he has an epiphany in Moscow he'll remain like that

lynchbhoy

McGeady has always taken the wrong option. To be fair to him he is improving, but he and the rest of the Irish team need to take the simple option. Too slow to move the ball , the likes of mcgeady and lawrence need space and by the time the ball gets tothem they are closed down.
Thats brain dead soccer from Ireland - but its par for the course for a lot of modern teams.
Move the ball up, across midfield, an opponent comes within 20 yards, hit it back to the full back or centre half and then the keeper who bombs it up into the other box to his counterpart keeper. f**king hell.
This might be great practice for when Ireland play spain, but against andorra and armenia ffs !!

Ireland are improving I believe, but they need to up the tempo,move it wider sooner and have more movement from the two front men as Doyle with his back to goal knocking it on to Keane who may get in on goal , only to scuff it 9 times out of 10 is not a great attacking tactic imo.

If they cant get the ball early to mcgeady (in space) and cant play a faster tempo then its going to be more of the same.
However as international soccer is all on much the same level now, Ireland stand a good chance of qualifying. Only a few teams in the world are better than this it seems !

AZOffaly

That was fairly muck. McGeady was his usual self, but I think you know what you are getting with him at this stage. In fairness he was involved in most good things Ireland did.

We are awful to watch though. Jaysus.

Doogie Browser

Armenia showed last night they are no pushovers

AFS

Quote from: lynchbhoy on September 08, 2010, 09:47:36 AM
If they cant get the ball early to mcgeady (in space) and cant play a faster tempo then its going to be more of the same.

McGeady will be back on the bench as soon as Duff gets over his knock. A fit Hunt is ahead in the pecking order too.

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: AFS on September 08, 2010, 09:58:21 AM

McGeady will be back on the bench as soon as Duff gets over his knock. A fit Hunt is ahead in the pecking order too.

I would agree with that aswell. He looked good against andorra ffs. All this talk about the player he is/going to be! Overrated imo

Larry Duff

That's quite sad really. McGeady, who along with Duff is one of the few players with the ability to commit defenders and cause the opposition problems. Neither player is helped by the fact that they get very poor service as the distribution from the defence is crap coupled with the lack of any real passing ability throughout the team. But rather than appeal for a bit more creativity in the team, people are happy enough just to replace him with someone who may well run all day for the team but couldn't trap a bag of cement.

Declan

Quotebut couldn't trap a bag of cement.
:D :D :D

As Georgie said he traps the ball further than I can pass it!!

trileacman

That scares me. When Ireland have that team out remind me to be several hundred miles from a t.v. somewhere like Antarctica or a remote island. (Rathlin would do.)
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

lynchbhoy

Duff has played well for Fulham last season at times, but he hasnt been the same since he left chelsea and had that bad inj.
Hunt is woeful imo. he is a worse loser of the ball than mcgeady is and maybe even a worse crosser!!
If mcgeady cannot be coached then he has to be benched. He needs an end product and if they cant sort him out in Russia, he might be unfixable.

J OGorman

fierce bit of over reaction from last night. We've a very limited squad of average to decent players. Trap knows this more than you or I. Whilst its not pleasant on the eye (same as during Big Jack's tenure) we are set up to maximise what resources are available. So close to qualification for the world cup and 6 points from 2 games (one on the road). Whilst we were playing only Andorra last night, why would a manager (who has very limited time to work with a team and install a belief and certain playing style) change it to appease us or those 3 clowns in the studio (who are no more than human versions of the gutter press), then attempt to revert back to a more defence, battle hardy style when playing tougher opposition.

Id love to watch the boys in green play like Spain, but it wont happen. Have we been that brainwashed we're now disappointed with 6 points from 2 games with an average, but very big hearted team..honesty of effort Giles!

McGeady is fustrating at times for sure, but magical at times also. He has to be ahead of both Hunt and Duff. As it stands, we are 2 central midfielders away from a team that could compete with anyone

lolafrola

Would it not be possible to play Duff on one wing and McGeady on the other with the two defensive midfielders doing what they do best?
Be nice to the people you meet on the way up, because you may meet them on the way back down.

AFS

Quote from: J OGorman on September 08, 2010, 12:01:06 PM
fierce bit of over reaction from last night. We've a very limited squad of average to decent players. Trap knows this more than you or I. Whilst its not pleasant on the eye (same as during Big Jack's tenure) we are set up to maximise what resources are available. So close to qualification for the world cup and 6 points from 2 games (one on the road). Whilst we were playing only Andorra last night, why would a manager (who has very limited time to work with a team and install a belief and certain playing style) change it to appease us or those 3 clowns in the studio (who are no more than human versions of the gutter press), then attempt to revert back to a more defence, battle hardy style when playing tougher opposition.

Didn't catch all the analysis, but from what I saw Brady, in particular, seemed very supportive of Trapattoni's approach.

Quote from: J OGorman on September 08, 2010, 12:01:06 PM
McGeady is fustrating at times for sure, but magical at times also. He has to be ahead of both Hunt and Duff.

There's a reasonable argument that McGeady is a better option than Hunt, but he has a very long way to go to reach Duff's level in an Ireland jersey.

Main Street

Now official (after some optimistic reports)  Duff is out injured and Andrews not fit enough.

Marc Wilson called up as back up at CM. Things have been moving for Wilson this year. He has done well to get a call up ahead of McCarthy.
Treacy from Preston - like McCarthy did last May- has pulled out of the squad quoting tiredness. Bad move. When your country calls, you turn up and let the FAI medics assess the situation.

trileacman

Did you hear this rigmaroll of the four nations tournament. Suprised it didn't warrant one word on here last week for such a soccer (and nationalist) mad board. Are all 6 matches to be played in Aviva?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014