Saying the rosary doesn't work. Fact

Started by smelmoth, August 27, 2017, 04:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

armaghniac

Prayer brings rewards, but not to sinners who do not repent of their evil ways.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

It depends which God is on call at the time. Allah doesn't mind the Rosary but Shiva hates it .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Wildweasel74

God called it wrong in the paper yesterday anyway

rosnarun

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

APM

On a serious note, am I the only one that found this practice wrong.  Is it fair to assume that everyone that plays county football for Tyrone is a catholic or a lapsed catholic who has no objection to saying the rosary.  Are players from other religions and none welcome in Mickey's changing room?  If he had a conscientious objector, how would he cater for them. 

BennyHarp

Quote from: APM on August 28, 2017, 03:58:02 PM
On a serious note, am I the only one that found this practice wrong.  Is it fair to assume that everyone that plays county football for Tyrone is a catholic or a lapsed catholic who has no objection to saying the rosary.  Are players from other religions and none welcome in Mickey's changing room?  If he had a conscientious objector, how would he cater for them.

How do you know he didn't?

It was a method of focusing the mind pre match. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't get too worked up about it.
That was never a square ball!!

Esmarelda

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 28, 2017, 04:16:13 PM

It was a method of focusing the mind pre match. Nothing more, nothing less. Don't get too worked up about it.
He asked them to say a prayer from his chosen religion. That is certainly more than a method of focusing the mind. That's not to say there were any objections of course.

APM

Let's say Mickey suggested it and you weren't comfortable? Do you say something? Do you say nothing?

Let's say there was someone that wasn't comfortable with it and said so. What options does he give them? OK then, we won't bother saying the Rosary?  Do you want to stand outside during the Rosary?  Just stand there and say nothing?
What if someone new is invited onto the panel. Do I have to say the Rosary if I play for Tyrone? I'm not comfortable with that, Can I say something?

Then you think about what kind of message this sends out to non-catholics within the GAA and outside it. 

I'm sure if you wanted a method of focusing the mind pre-match you could find all kinds of techniques without drawing them from religion. 

Finally, to address your little patronising comment at the end; I'm not worked up about it.  I just find it wrong and disagree with it.

Esmarelda

On a similar topic, does anyone know if it's G.A.A. policy to use the term ar dheis de go raibh a h-anam before a minute's silence for someone that's died?

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 28, 2017, 04:37:28 PM
On a similar topic, does anyone know if it's G.A.A. policy to use the term ar dheis de go raibh a h-anam before a minute's silence for someone that's died?
It's not GAA policy but is the customary blessing/saying as Gaeilge. Dia duit as hello has the same religious terminology if looked at pedantically but unless you anglicise the language I'm not sure what you can do.

Esmarelda

Quote from: mrhardyannual on August 28, 2017, 05:30:12 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on August 28, 2017, 04:37:28 PM
It's not GAA policy but is the customary blessing/saying as Gaeilge. Dia duit as hello has the same religious terminology if looked at pedantically but unless you anglicise the language I'm not sure what you can do.
Good point. Just seems odd if the person that died, or his/her family, isn't of that persuasion.

Eamonnca1

I was looking at some old RTE news footage from the 80s recently on youtube and found a report saying Cardinal Daly issued a statement saying there was to be no more personal eulogies at funerals. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Is this really a thing in the catholic church? You're not allowed to talk about the deceased at their own bloody funeral?!

southtyronegael

focusing the mind on what? God? Religion? What about focusing on your opponent, seems that was lacking yesterday.

BennyHarp

Quote from: APM on August 28, 2017, 04:29:07 PM

Let's say Mickey suggested it and you weren't comfortable? Do you say something? Do you say nothing?

Let's say there was someone that wasn't comfortable with it and said so. What options does he give them? OK then, we won't bother saying the Rosary?  Do you want to stand outside during the Rosary?  Just stand there and say nothing?
What if someone new is invited onto the panel. Do I have to say the Rosary if I play for Tyrone? I'm not comfortable with that, Can I say something?

Then you think about what kind of message this sends out to non-catholics within the GAA and outside it. 

I'm sure if you wanted a method of focusing the mind pre-match you could find all kinds of techniques without drawing them from religion. 

Finally, to address your little patronising comment at the end; I'm not worked up about it.  I just find it wrong and disagree with it.

Ah sure it's some mess, I don't possibly know how they functioned as a panel. Or maybe it isn't all that big a deal and it was discussed before hand and most of the players bought into it and an arrangement was made for those that weren't comfortable with it.
That was never a square ball!!