All Stars of the Sunday Game era.

Started by Estimator, April 28, 2020, 04:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tintin25

No harm, but if Tohill isn't one of the midfield pairing then the selection is a joke.

The Trap

I like articles written by Tomas and Dara and I liked them as footballers and people but I have said for a long time that I think the O'Se lads shouldn't all get on every one of these teams.......just seems that people put them down without putting any real thought into it.
Moynihan too, should not be full back but maybe somewhere else.....Fenton has to be midfield and for me with Tohill or Cavanagh but prob go to 2 Kerry men.....

marty34

Quote from: The Trap on May 01, 2020, 09:15:12 PM
I like articles written by Tomas and Dara and I liked them as footballers and people but I have said for a long time that I think the O'Se lads shouldn't all get on every one of these teams.......just seems that people put them down without putting any real thought into it.
Moynihan too, should not be full back but maybe somewhere else.....Fenton has to be midfield and for me with Tohill or Cavanagh but prob go to 2 Kerry men.....

To the victors, the spoils...and all that!

Estimator

Watched some of the podcast this morning about the midfielders. Voting at present is:
1. Jack O'Shea - 5500 votes
2. Brian Fenton - 4200
3. Dara O'Se - 2600
4. Anthony Tohill
5. Sean Cavanagh
6. Dermot Early
7. Aiden O'Se
8. WJ McPadden
9. John McDermott
10. Ciaran Whelan
Ulster League Champions 2009

seafoid

It is impossible to compare players from different eras.
It always has been.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

John McDermott was superb. He wasn't the cleanest at times but a great footballer. Deserves to be much higher up that list.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on May 02, 2020, 02:17:43 PM
It is impossible to compare players from different eras.
It always has been.

Television coverage was poor in the early days of the Sunday Game. Few games were covered.

40 years is too broad a timeline. If they went for best 15 of the 80's 90's 00's and 10's it would be more reflective of each era and the brand of football.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Estimator on May 02, 2020, 01:25:39 PM
Watched some of the podcast this morning about the midfielders. Voting at present is:
2. Brian Fenton - 4200
3. Dara O'Se - 2600
4. Anthony Tohill
5. Sean Cavanagh
6. Dermot Early
7. Aiden O'Se
8. WJ McPadden
9. John McDermott
10. Ciaran Whelan

The top ten midfielders of the All Star era and Brian Mullins isn't in it?

A joke! 

lenny

2. Brian Fenton - 4200
3. Dara O'Se - 2600
4. Anthony Tohill
5. Sean Cavanagh
6. Dermot Early
7. Aiden O'Se
8. WJ McPadden
9. John McDermott
10. Ciaran Whelan

Fenton and Tohill would be my choice. Two class, all round footballers who are/were good for 3/4 points a game while still dominating around the middle.

BennyCake

Fenton better than Tohill??? Seriously???

Tohill and Jacko are miles ahead of the rest.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 04, 2020, 01:20:26 PM
2. Brian Fenton - 4200
3. Dara O'Se - 2600
4. Anthony Tohill
5. Sean Cavanagh
6. Dermot Early
7. Aiden O'Se
8. WJ McPadden
9. John McDermott
10. Ciaran Whelan

The top ten midfielders of the All Star era and Brian Mullins isn't in it?

A joke!

In fairness Mullins had a bad Car accident in 1980 and never reached the heights of previous years.

Angelo

It should be two from Cavanagh/Fenton/Tohill for me.

Jack O'Shea a bit before my time.

Cavanagh achieved more than Tohill but probably isn't the most likeable individual. His performances in the big games at the biggest moments were absolutely clutch.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: Angelo on May 04, 2020, 07:21:32 PM
It should be two from Cavanagh/Fenton/Tohill for me.

Jack O'Shea a bit before my time to appreciate his peak.

Cavanagh achieved more than Tohill but probably isn't the most likeable individual. His performances in the big games at the biggest moments were absolutely clutch.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Estimator

You can take your pick of the half forwards now.
Looking at how the voting has gone so far, I'd say the HF line will be Spillane, Connolly and AN Other [but must be from Kerry or Dublin  ;) ]
Ulster League Champions 2009

mup

Quote from: Estimator on May 04, 2020, 08:27:52 PM
You can take your pick of the half forwards now.
Looking at how the voting has gone so far, I'd say the HF line will be Spillane, Connolly and AN Other [but must be from Kerry or Dublin  ;) ]

Connolly.  ::)

I would pick at least 10 of that list before him - Cavanagh, Spillane, Connor, Canavan, Giles, Donnellan, Dooher, Brogan, Flynn, Murphy, Kilkenny.