Started by Estimator, April 28, 2020, 04:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maiden1

Quote from: Angelo on May 01, 2020, 07:28:44 AM
Quote from: shark on April 30, 2020, 05:50:24 PM
Quote from: Angelo on April 30, 2020, 05:29:35 PM
Aidan Walsh?

Seriously?

I guess from 2010 to 2012 his performances were top class. Since then, not so much.

With all due respect his performances were not top class. He had a good game in the final against a Down side that had no real midfield and the chap could not kick a ball straight. He was a big mullocker in a team of big mullockers for a side who won the softest All Ireland in the last 40 years.
He was 19 in 2009 when won U21 AI and was 1 of Corks main players when Cork won the AI in 2010 (winning 2 Allstars and young player of the year wasn't controversial). He won National League medals as well in 2010, 2011, 2012. He might not have been the Gooch in terms of skill but he was good at what he was good at which was winning the ball and giving it to someone else and getting up and down the pitch. If anything leaving the football panel and switching to hurling in 2014 was a surprise.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

trailer

When you look at who they've selected so far,  this process would appear to have no credibility.

Angelo

Quote from: Maiden1 on May 01, 2020, 10:56:50 AM
Quote from: Angelo on May 01, 2020, 07:28:44 AM
Quote from: shark on April 30, 2020, 05:50:24 PM
Quote from: Angelo on April 30, 2020, 05:29:35 PM
Aidan Walsh?

Seriously?

I guess from 2010 to 2012 his performances were top class. Since then, not so much.

With all due respect his performances were not top class. He had a good game in the final against a Down side that had no real midfield and the chap could not kick a ball straight. He was a big mullocker in a team of big mullockers for a side who won the softest All Ireland in the last 40 years.
He was 19 in 2009 when won U21 AI and was 1 of Corks main players when Cork won the AI in 2010 (winning 2 Allstars and young player of the year wasn't controversial). He won National League medals as well in 2010, 2011, 2012. He might not have been the Gooch in terms of skill but he was good at what he was good at which was winning the ball and giving it to someone else and getting up and down the pitch. If anything leaving the football panel and switching to hurling in 2014 was a surprise.

He was a very average player who played on an average team that won the softest All Ireland on record in the past 30-40 years. His decision making was terrible, he was very poor at kicking the ball. He was a big lad who could cover a bit of ground and win some ball but he wasn't a good or overly effective player. It's one thing having your limitations - you could level that against a good few of those names there but they tended to know what they were good at and covered that ground - Walsh was the type of player who would make you pull your hair out such was the amount of stupid things he would do routinely on a GAA pitch.

Someone like Rory Kavanagh was a far superior player without any of the fanfare that Walsh got.

He was basically Dick Clerkin with a mop of hair.

Would he have got near any of the other All Ireland winning teams of that time? I don't think he would have.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Wee Roddy

I would suggest that none of that full back line are worth a place in those positions. Moynahan for me at 6 instead of Keegan although James McCarthy would be unlucky to lose out to Tomas. Conor Gormley for me in anywhere in the full back line. He was Tyrone's go to man marker not Ricey (who was a brilliant player in his own respect). Johnny Cooper likewise would have to be in there and the third would be Tony Scullion. You could play any off them in anyone of the three positions.
The halfback line is a mine field to pick.

What are the odds on Darragh O'Se making it three brothers from Donnybrook with the media darlings the Brogans both getting on the forward line.

imtommygunn

I've read Johnny cooper mentioned a few times but really don't think he is up there with this level of player. No doubt he is a good man to do a job but not this calibre of player imo. When Donegal did Dublin in that quarter final in 2012 the main reason imo was cooper was chb and Donegal raided right through the centre at will where he was meant to be. Clifford made him look very average in last year's final(though to be fair would do that to most).

Moynihan for me is a 5. He went to fb when Kerry had a big gap there but not his best position.

Agree about gormley. Versatility possibly his undoing in these things.

J70

Midfield O'Shea and O'Se for me

Tohill unlucky

Angelo

It wouldn't be RTE if it wasn't a Dublin and Kerry love in.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

trailer

Quote from: J70 on May 01, 2020, 01:37:09 PM

Tohill unlucky

Darragh O'Se very over rated. When it was properly put up to him he never won the battle. Played in an alright Kerry side that when tested usually lost.

omaghjoe

Quote from: trailer on May 01, 2020, 02:39:53 PM

Tohill unlucky

Darragh O'Se very over rated. When it was properly put up to him he never won the battle. Played in an alright Kerry side that when tested usually lost.

That's about the tall and short of it for Dara, v good but not elite on a par with Paul McGrane, John McDermott ... Tohill easily better not even a question. J70 prob still smarting from all those Donegal men bouncing of him in the 93 UF

omaghjoe

Quote from: Tatler Jack on May 01, 2020, 10:55:35 AM
Quote from: ardtole on May 01, 2020, 10:15:12 AM
I'm 45 years of age and the best full back I've seen was Barry Owens  (fermanagh), class act. Seamus Moynihan was a centre half back, he was only plugging gaps at full back. Ronan Clarke and Pauric Joyce both took him to the cleaners in All Ireland finals.

I would have Darren Fay well ahead of Moynihan who was a filler in as a FB.

To me the media love in with Moynihan started with one catch. An all Kerry full back line is hilarious, any average all star full forward line would make mince meat out of them.

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 01, 2020, 03:39:32 PM

Tohill unlucky

That's about the tall and short of it for Dara, v good but not elite on a par with Paul McGrane, John McDermott ... Tohill easily better not even a question. J70 prob still smarting from all those Donegal men bouncing of him in the 93 UF

I'll grant you that that was about the most awesome single senior football performance I've ever seen.

In terms of single-handedly dominating a game, a few of Murphy's performances last year would come close, but not quite. Whelan against us in the 2002 quarter final replay too.

omaghjoe

Quote from: J70 on May 01, 2020, 04:03:29 PM

Tohill unlucky

I'll grant you that that was about the most awesome single senior football performance I've ever seen.

In terms of single-handedly dominating a game, a few of Murphy's performances last year would come close, but not quite. Whelan against us in the 2002 quarter final replay too.

Dooher 07 gotta be in there too?  ;)

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 01, 2020, 04:08:11 PM

Tohill unlucky

I think the game was over by the time he mouthed his way into an uppercut from Colm McFadden.  ;) ;D

omaghjoe

Quote from: J70 on May 01, 2020, 05:58:00 PM

Tohill unlucky

I think the game was over by the time he mouthed his way into an uppercut from Colm McFadden.  ;) ;D

Pure Donegal ignorance, made all the worse by the fact it was meant for Coldrick.

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 01, 2020, 06:46:22 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 01, 2020, 05:58:00 PM

Tohill unlucky

Pure Donegal ignorance, made all the worse by the fact it was meant for Coldrick.

;D