Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markl121

I hired from can picafort but I think they've two shops in plays de muro and one in port alcudia, all along that road they seem to be everywhere.

grounded

Quote from: Orior on July 30, 2019, 12:51:12 PM
Is the cycle path well marked when cycling through Newry from the Canal towpath to Warrenpoint?

In short no.  Once you leave the towpath at Newry you are really on roads unless you cycle on footpaths. It takes you past the courthouse and then via abbey way
-William st- Kilmorey st and then to the dual carriageway to warrenpoint. There is a cycle lane on the inside of the carriageway. Once you leave the carriageway at warrenpoint join the main road again to reach wpoint.
                       There is a plan to have a dedicated cycling paths through newry which will connect the towpath to the newry-omeath Greenway(not fully completed) which will join to the existing omeath carlingford greenway and then go eventually to greenore and Dundalk(all in the future fingers crossed).
             See proposed greenways

https://nigreenways.com/newry-to-portadown-greenway/

illdecide

Quote from: JimStynes on July 30, 2019, 01:05:23 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on July 30, 2019, 12:47:38 PM
Doing the Majorca 312 next April, booked the trip for a week already. Torn between taking my own bike & bike hire, I'm mainly afraid of a bike hire place double booking the bike and leaving me in the lurch (as 9,000 do the 312 sportive). Looking at Bimont bike hire in Port Alcudia, looks vg. Anyone done the event or used Bimont? If I'm hiring I'm booking shortly.

Take your own bike definitely!

I've done two cycling holidays where i hired a bike and the other one where i brought my own bike...It is a lot less hassle hiring a bike TBH and yes a bit more expensive but it's the better option if i'm honest. I brought my bike to France 3-4 weeks ago and it was great having my own set up but see trailing that around with you and having to assemble it when you get there not to mention getting a 32 cassette fitted and then the same thing all over again for coming home...Hire if you can...BTW one of our guys had their bike frame squashed on return journey home (£3.5k bike)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

bennydorano

Yeah, I'm a convenience type of guy myself. The bike shop set ups are normally very professional, on the couple of trips to Tenerife I never had to adjust anything on my bikes after having emailed them my bike settings.

markl121

Quote from: bennydorano on July 31, 2019, 09:13:57 AM
Yeah, I'm a convenience type of guy myself. The bike shop set ups are normally very professional, on the couple of trips to Tenerife I never had to adjust anything on my bikes after having emailed them my bike settings.
Yeah most of the places seem good although I read some reviews of rad salon in playa de muro, they do BMC bikes but the lad that owns it appears to be a psychopath, the reviews are a good craic read but maybe best to avoid hiring from there.

markl121

Is anyone doing the nico roche and philipe gilbert ride on 20th october round the wicklow mountains? Looks like good craic. How tough is the climbing round there?

JimStynes

Lovely part of the world. Hope the weather is ok for you. The climbs are tight enough but nothing ridiculous As long as you've done a bit of training.

markl121

Quote from: JimStynes on September 13, 2019, 05:59:58 PM
Lovely part of the world. Hope the weather is ok for you. The climbs are tight enough but nothing ridiculous As long as you've done a bit of training.
I might get down and scout a bit of it, although with the recent attacks on cyclists on the sally gap I'd be a touch weary.

LeoMc

Quote from: bennydorano on July 30, 2019, 01:45:44 PM
What Resort is that in? We're in Playa Muro but close to Alcudia, Can Picafort.
I stayed in a couple of the Viva hotels in Alcudia and in Can Picafort. They have top class Cannondale and specialized bikes for hire.

bennydorano

Majorca 312 booked, 4500 spots gone already - opened this morning

grounded

Quote from: bennydorano on October 08, 2019, 01:22:38 PM
Majorca 312 booked, 4500 spots gone already - opened this morning

A few friends done this last year and thought it was fantastic. Hard going though!

screenexile

This Shane Sutton hearing seems to be gas craic!!

yellowcard

Quote from: screenexile on November 12, 2019, 03:09:09 PM

Mental, Sutton was always likely to completely lose it, volatile character at the best of times. He probably knows enough to bring the house of cards down completely. 

grounded

Quote from: screenexile on November 12, 2019, 03:09:09 PM

Yes bizarre behaviour altogether. Given its a general medical coucil ftp hearing, im not even sure if they have the authority to compel witnesses to come forward.

BenDover

fellas, I'm after recommendations for a waterproof jacket without breaking the bank.