NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southtyronegael

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on February 25, 2019, 04:55:49 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 25, 2019, 04:29:42 PM
Quote from: mouview on February 25, 2019, 04:04:13 PM
There wasn't an awfully bad home crowd there, but it's not an excuse to say that few are attracted to see this Galway team play. They are desperately hard to watch and I wouldn't have gone to see them play in Salthill, had it been there.

Look it's just my own personal opinion/frustration about the generally piss poor Galway support, felt more like a Kerry home match at times yesterday.
I've heard plenty of different reasons for this down through the years, always seems to be something and it was the same way when Galway played the nice traditional stuff as well.
It's always been the way as far as I can remember and I've been going to Galway matches for the best part of 40 years, notable exception being late 90s and early 00s for obvious reasons.  The hurling support had actually dwindled quite a lot in the late 90s so it's not surprising to see it all linked to relative success I guess.  Anyway, it is what is right now but hopeful of it growing in the next couple of years! 😉
i remember us playing galway in the 1995 semi final and out of an attendance of 37k there was def less than 5k from galway. was shocking. they won the ai 3 years later and had plenty of supporters.lol

Main Street

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 24, 2019, 07:46:55 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 24, 2019, 03:13:08 PM
Bad Day at Healy Park but despite the scoreboard discrepancy, a  low intensity mistake ridden performance, I thought there were a few bright notes for Monaghan. Plenty of improvement needed but not dead yet.
At least not as dead as the black card sin bin experiment.

Normal service in the process of being restored, keep calm and carry on :)
Tyrone are one trick pony,  a one trick which came good on the the night,  however I have faith in the more honest, expansive and creative game which Monaghan will employ to good effect by the time the championship comes around. You see,  part of the the challenge for Monaghan  is to  meet the  intensity of  lesser teams who can effectively compensate for the absence of brain with an abundance of brawn  Monaghan just need to up the intensity, not an impossible task for us as it is a part of the our  football dna, but Tyrone would need to discover a plan B,  and just how far do you think  a team of robots can go in the direction of creativity and ingenuity.

Even with your black card ,where  a Tyrone player gets tackled around the chest area, a yellow card  at best even to a gullible ref, but the tyrone player swings around violently and hits  the ground clutching his face as if he's been poleaxed by a clothesline tackle. This I presume is just the well funded theatrical  training kicking in,  but by some  queer happenstance he injures his shoulder in the fall. And thar on he lied on the floor writhing in agony, the poor fecker.  All of a sudden the deathly face injury did not matter any more.
And that's how Tyrone swing games into their favour. May the heroic team of '86 not be besmirched by the antics of these inferiors.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Main Street on February 26, 2019, 01:16:08 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 24, 2019, 07:46:55 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 24, 2019, 03:13:08 PM
Bad Day at Healy Park but despite the scoreboard discrepancy, a  low intensity mistake ridden performance, I thought there were a few bright notes for Monaghan. Plenty of improvement needed but not dead yet.
At least not as dead as the black card sin bin experiment.

Normal service in the process of being restored, keep calm and carry on :)
Tyrone are one trick pony,  a one trick which came good on the the night,  however I have faith in the more honest, expansive and creative game which Monaghan will employ to good effect by the time the championship comes around. You see,  part of the the challenge for Monaghan  is to  meet the  intensity of  lesser teams who can effectively compensate for the absence of brain with an abundance of brawn  Monaghan just need to up the intensity, not an impossible task for us as it is a part of the our  football dna, but Tyrone would need to discover a plan B,  and just how far do you think  a team of robots can go in the direction of creativity and ingenuity.

Even with your black card ,where  a Tyrone player gets tackled around the chest area, a yellow card  at best even to a gullible ref, but the tyrone player swings around violently and hits  the ground clutching his face as if he's been poleaxed by a clothesline tackle. This I presume is just the well funded theatrical  training kicking in,  but by some  queer happenstance he injures his shoulder in the fall. And thar on he lied on the floor writhing in agony, the poor fecker.  All of a sudden the deathly face injury did not matter any more.
And that's how Tyrone swing games into their favour. May the heroic team of '86 not be besmirched by the antics of these inferiors.

"We just need to up the intensity" The most bollocksy of all bollocksy GAA phrases. Strange how a county who has "intensity" as part of their DNA ( ;D) have always been found wanting when the games have been at their most intense against Tyrone in recent years at the business end of the championship.
That was never a square ball!!

seafoid

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 25, 2019, 09:17:34 PM
There wasn't an awfully bad home crowd there, but it's not an excuse to say that few are attracted to see this Galway team play. They are desperately hard to watch and I wouldn't have gone to see them play in Salthill, had it been there.

Look it's just my own personal opinion/frustration about the generally piss poor Galway support, felt more like a Kerry home match at times yesterday.
I've heard plenty of different reasons for this down through the years, always seems to be something and it was the same way when Galway played the nice traditional stuff as well.
It's always been the way as far as I can remember and I've been going to Galway matches for the best part of 40 years, notable exception being late 90s and early 00s for obvious reasons.  The hurling support had actually dwindled quite a lot in the late 90s so it's not surprising to see it all linked to relative success I guess.  Anyway, it is what is right now but hopeful of it growing in the next couple of years! 😉
i remember us playing galway in the 1995 semi final and out of an attendance of 37k there was def less than 5k from galway. was shocking. they won the ai 3 years later and had plenty of supporters.lol
I dunno
Maybe if Tyrone had a few more all Irelands the attendance patterns might be different.  :o
Tyrone had zero all Irelands in 95 and Galway had a few passengers on the team. 
History gives a different perspective on mediocrity. Tyrone are at a different stage of development. 

Ni uasal agus iseal ach thuas seal agus thios seal   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

Watched the game again, Galway were really dealt with harshly from McQuillan. McHugh must have got a black card for something he said unless it was something off the ball the camera's didn't pick up. Galway were on the wrong end of 4 very poor decisions which cost Galway, Kerry should have had 2 black cards for Crowley & Lynne and O'Shea scored from a free when Heaney was pulled for steps when he only took 4. Flynn's black card was very harsh too. Then you've got O'Se's score which is just a joke.

Flynn didn't have a great game defensively, a few scores came far too easily from the loose marking. I thought Kerin had an average game at the time but he had a great game. O'Brien fouled him when for O'Se's score, the only mistake he made all day was been turned too easily when O'Brien got away leading up to  Flynn's black card. He's clearly limited on the ball there's not many Galway defenders who can make turnovers like him when one on one with an opponent. Sean Andy had a good game apart from the first 15 minutes when he gave it away twice, looked a bit rusty.

Kickouts were a disappointment but Lavelle is completely blameless, seen enough of him the last 12 months to know he's improved his accuracy and more than capable of finding a team mate but the movement in front of him just wasn't there, don't know the stats but would assume Kerry retained a good deal more of their own kickouts then Galway did.

Kerry were just that more fluent on the ball, attacked with a bit more pace which is probably to be expected given so many of the players Galway have missing are quick. Would like to see John Daly get more time on the pitch, he offers a lot more going forward then O'Donnell & Duane; Sunday was just a combination of far too many players lacking pace around the middle 3rd. There was a noticeable difference when the quicker lads got on the ball when Galway transitioned and when Cunningham came on and added a physical presence to the full forward line. Got 2 balls, scored from one and won a free with the other.

The black cards were certainly the losing of the game, Kerry had 3 points in the first 27 minutes with a win and looked completely clueless had to break Galway down until McHugh's black card. So many times they just pumped an aimless ball into the full forward line that came to nothing;Galway clearly got to deal with going a man down a lot better.

Kevin Walsh will watch it and be even more determined to keep with the current tactics, that game will have done nothing to change his mind.

BennyHarp

Quote from: seafoid on February 26, 2019, 09:26:00 AM

I dunno
Maybe if Tyrone had a few more all Irelands the attendance patterns might be different.  :o
History gives a different perspective on mediocrity. Tyrone are at a different stage of development. 

Yeah, Galway supporters in 1995 must have been blasé about winning Sam Maguire given the fact that they won it 29 years previously.

seafoid

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 26, 2019, 11:00:06 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 26, 2019, 09:26:00 AM

I dunno

Yeah, Galway supporters in 1995 must have been blasé about winning Sam Maguire given the fact that they won it 29 years previously.

You know when the team isn't good enough. Nobody expected to win that semi as far as I was concerned. It was good to win Connacht and we had a good day out in Dublin.
But I remember talking to my father's uncles about the football when I was a teenager. And he said that when they got a good team together down past Clonberne they could beat anyone .
And that has a pedigree. Donnellan was on the 98 team. His father and grandfather won all Irelands before him.

So you might find Mayo posters laughing about how shite Galway have been over the last 15 years. And they have been abysmal
But when they get a team going they can go all the way. And not many other counties can say that. Down can also do it.  The Galway hurlers can't do it BTW
Mayo leave it behind them as well.

It remains to be seen if Tyrone can deliver on demand 

seafoid

And BTW Benny I think Galway lost the super 8 match against Monaghan because they didn't want to play the Dubs in the final. They knew the team wasn't ready.
Tyrone got all excited about being in the final and got pasted. 

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on February 26, 2019, 11:34:09 AM
And BTW Benny I think Galway lost the super 8 match against Monaghan because they didn't want to play the Dubs in the final. They knew the team wasn't ready.

Smart move by Galway holding back last year. Much better to get a paisting in a semi-final.  :P

Are Galway ready this year? Or will they throw a few more games to avoid getting to an All Ireland final v the Dubs?  ;D

BennyHarp

Great thinking from a proud GAA county. 😂

Manning18

Stop embarrassing us with that nonsense Seafoid.

Galway's support is dodgy because the city is the ultimate transient town, filled with blow in's and students, that somehow has to try split support out amongst 4 separate teams, one of which (Rugby) is newly in vogue. Go into the hurling or football areas, which basically don't overlap whatsoever, and there isnt actually that many people there. Add in that we've an exciting top class hurling team which the county now follows heavily (including football fans), and add in that hurling people wouldn't watch a football game if it was in the next field. Then we've Galway being the festival capital of Ireland during the height of GAA season, with something constantly going on. Many factors behind a poor support.

Semi final versus Dublin, which the lack of attracted much criticism, is a perfect example. Few made the obvious connection that it was a few days removed from race week in the city, and that we'd a hurling All ireland final a weekend later. It's understandable how peoples pockets, time and social energy were well used up to be going up to Dublin watching a game as rank outsiders. Galways attendances have always dipped in late July and early August with so much going on

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Manning18 on February 26, 2019, 03:49:01 PM
Stop embarrassing us with that nonsense Seafoid.

Galway's support is dodgy because the city is the ultimate transient town, filled with blow in's and students, that somehow has to try split support out amongst 4 separate teams, one of which (Rugby) is newly in vogue. Go into the hurling or football areas, which basically don't overlap whatsoever, and there isnt actually that many people there. Add in that we've an exciting top class hurling team which the county now follows heavily (including football fans), and add in that hurling people wouldn't watch a football game if it was in the next field. Then we've Galway being the festival capital of Ireland during the height of GAA season, with something constantly going on. Many factors behind a poor support.

Semi final versus Dublin, which the lack of attracted much criticism, is a perfect example. Few made the obvious connection that it was a few days removed from race week in the city, and that we'd a hurling All ireland final a weekend later. It's understandable how peoples pockets, time and social energy were well used up to be going up to Dublin watching a game as rank outsiders. Galways attendances have always dipped in late July and early August with so much going on

There is a kernal of truth in this. Galway is a big county but the hurling half of the county have next to no interest in football. They might shout for Galway if they are watching them on telly but the vast majority of them wouldn't dream of paying into a football game. You could walk around Galway city and you'd probably meet more non Galweigans than locals. The football support is drawn almost exclusively from the north and the west of the county and the west in particular is sparsely enough populated despite being a large area on the map.

That said it should be better but it rises and falls depending on the fortunes of the team. And the current product is not enticing too many floating voters in through the gate.

galwayman

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 26, 2019, 12:42:28 PM

Great thinking from a proud GAA county. 😂
Oh for the love of God stop seafoid - such nonsense talk.

Farrandeelin

Fair play to the Galway bucks. Kinda putting the game on Saturday night in the background. Thankfully.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

Kerry would have won the All-Ireland last year only it started raining.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/osullivan-i-genuinely-thought-wed-win-allireland-37859374.html

"Coming through Munster I was like, this team has what it takes to win an All-Ireland.

"I thought we were never as well prepared in terms of what we needed, we couldn't have asked for more with the back room team, medical team, nutritionists and then we hit a stumbling block.

"We prepared unbelievably well for Galway but we got to Croke Park and it started to rain.

"Now it's a funny thing to blame rain in Ireland but when your game-plan is based around playing a certain way and you get to Croke Park and you can't do that because of the skid off the ball ... we just didn't adapt.

"You go to Clones then, a place you haven't played championship before, and are chasing a result against a strong Monaghan team and the doubt just crept in to fellas."
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."