NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Gold on February 24, 2019, 10:38:32 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 24, 2019, 09:10:50 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 24, 2019, 08:05:06 PM

edit: Just seen their 2nd to last score, how has McQuillan not noticed he's taken 16 steps.

The enforcement of this specific fundamental rule by referees, and Mc Quillan is far from unique here, is generally atrocious. How refs of the 'highest standard' don't have that 5-steps/5-seconds rule running subconsciously at all times escapes me.

At least 16. Ridiculous

Boys on Sunday Game didn't even mention it despite looking at replays of it.

An Fhairche Abu

Very annoying not to get some form of a result in the finish but given the poor first half performance from Galway and on the overall balance of play Kerry just about deserved the two points although seeing the amount of steps taken by O'Sé for that lead Kerry point I'm tempted to argue with that.

In the first half Galway were so ponderous and some of the ball played into the forward line was absolutely dire, not even 50/50 and with two men around a Galway player at times, even the likes of Comer wouldn't win them.
Contrast with the first score for O'Laoi (which he finished beautifully) when it was a ball into space where the forward would have to make a hames of it to not claim possession. We didn't see enough of this today.
Sean Kelly's goal chance was a big moment in the match, he had way more time than he realised, looked like he swung straight away on the turn, putting it high and wide when he could have composed himself for a better effort. For all the talk about boring or overly defence systems the biggest issue with Galway is that our chance conversion rate consistently isn't high enough, although it possibly wasn't deserved we had more than enough chances to get at least a draw from that match.

The end of the first half when McHugh got the black was the losing of this match in truth, it was far too easy for Kerry at that point and they really made hay to get a sizeable 5 point lead.
Overall in the first half, Kerry were much better in the tackle, had a much quicker and more efficient transition from their defensive setup to attack than Galway, especially when they had their man advantage. Better usage of the ball in general although some of the aimless ball kicked in the Kerry FF line which went wide was puzzling. Their press on every Galway player in possession was very effective also, Sean Andy (who I thought had a reasonably good game tbf although he is still not confidently fetching high balls like he did at U21 level) and a couple of other players were very lucky not to get badly caught out on numerous occasions.

Better performance in the second half with the bit of wind but the game intelligence wasn't at the top level, a lot of the wrong options taken handing hard won possession straight back to Kerry, a quick free inside the 45 which wasn't to hand and should have been left to McHugh for a shot at the posts, passes going well astray from intended targets and some of the shot selection was way off. Kerin in injury time running into a tackle and losing the ball leading to the lead Kerry score - not the first time we've seen these mental errors. Not being able to hold the lead for any decent length of time after Cummins pretty fortunate goal (Kerry keeper about 90% to blame) was also disappointing.

I'm hoping that Galway are in a different place with regards to training compared to this time 12 months ago as they definitely looked a bit sluggish at times and some of their touches, both hand passing and kick passing, is definitely well off what it should be.

By Round 4 of the league you'd expect them to be motoring better than in the early rounds but in the Cavan, Monaghan and Kerry matches the first half performances have been well below the requisite standard for Division One, after an acceptable first half against the Dubs the second half was a horror show so there's a pattern there of only playing for one half. We'll need to see a more consistent 70+ minute performance next Saturday against Mayo in what's a big match for both. Horan and Mayo will want to reestablish dominance in Connacht and also look for a bounce back from the poor display in the Dublin match, there will be no league final this year for the maroon but Galway need a win to keep out of relegation danger and maintain the current good run against Mayo.

I haven't watched the match back yet but McQuillan did Galway some disservice not producing a black card for that Lyne body check, it was right in front of him, I couldn't believe my eyes when he did nothing. The lack of consistency in the application of the rules affecting team numbers during this league is infuriating, black cards cost Galway badly today and a cast iron black isn't given to the opposition at an absolutely crucial time in the match? McHugh hit off the ball as well in the second half and nothing happened either. Jokeshop.

The Kerry supporters were there in great numbers and were utterly partisan for their team. As a result there were some fairly entitled one eyed Kerry gombeens on the terrace that you'd wonder were they watching the same match as yourself but you couldn't fault their passion for their team.
Now as for the Galway support in Tuam today, we hear plenty of North Galway folk going on about how tough it is to get in and out of Pearse and that's the reason they don't travel, Tuam is the real "home of football" where matches should be played etc. Where were they today? It was 50/50 between the two counties and the opposition support drove all the way from Kerry, a fine, dry day as well - there should have been a bigger Galway crowd there. Hurlers were out at the same time as well but in a match against Offaly that they were always going to win and in the Galway football heartlands the preference should surely be the big ball. Excuses about the quality of Galway's play and issues with Kevin Walsh will no doubt be trotted out this time around but the Galway support is just so flaky, it's no wonder the refs don't feel under any pressure from the home support to give a few homer decisions that might swing a tight match.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 24, 2019, 11:40:25 PM
Very annoying not to get some form of a result in the finish but given the poor first half performance from Galway and on the overall balance of play Kerry just about deserved the two points although seeing the amount of steps taken by O'Sé for that lead Kerry point I'm tempted to argue with that.

In the first half Galway were so ponderous and some of the ball played into the forward line was absolutely dire, not even 50/50 and with two men around a Galway player at times, even the likes of Comer wouldn't win them.
Contrast with the first score for O'Laoi (which he finished beautifully) when it was a ball into space where the forward would have to make a hames of it to not claim possession. We didn't see enough of this today.
Sean Kelly's goal chance was a big moment in the match, he had way more time than he realised, looked like he swung straight away on the turn, putting it high and wide when he could have composed himself for a better effort. For all the talk about boring or overly defence systems the biggest issue with Galway is that our chance conversion rate consistently isn't high enough, although it possibly wasn't deserved we had more than enough chances to get at least a draw from that match.

The end of the first half when McHugh got the black was the losing of this match in truth, it was far too easy for Kerry at that point and they really made hay to get a sizeable 5 point lead.
Overall in the first half, Kerry were much better in the tackle, had a much quicker and more efficient transition from their defensive setup to attack than Galway, especially when they had their man advantage. Better usage of the ball in general although some of the aimless ball kicked in the Kerry FF line which went wide was puzzling. Their press on every Galway player in possession was very effective also, Sean Andy (who I thought had a reasonably good game tbf although he is still not confidently fetching high balls like he did at U21 level) and a couple of other players were very lucky not to get badly caught out on numerous occasions.

Better performance in the second half with the bit of wind but the game intelligence wasn't at the top level, a lot of the wrong options taken handing hard won possession straight back to Kerry, a quick free inside the 45 which wasn't to hand and should have been left to McHugh for a shot at the posts, passes going well astray from intended targets and some of the shot selection was way off. Kerin in injury time running into a tackle and losing the ball leading to the lead Kerry score - not the first time we've seen these mental errors. Not being able to hold the lead for any decent length of time after Cummins pretty fortunate goal (Kerry keeper about 90% to blame) was also disappointing.

I'm hoping that Galway are in a different place with regards to training compared to this time 12 months ago as they definitely looked a bit sluggish at times and some of their touches, both hand passing and kick passing, is definitely well off what it should be.

By Round 4 of the league you'd expect them to be motoring better than in the early rounds but in the Cavan, Monaghan and Kerry matches the first half performances have been well below the requisite standard for Division One, after an acceptable first half against the Dubs the second half was a horror show so there's a pattern there of only playing for one half. We'll need to see a more consistent 70+ minute performance next Saturday against Mayo in what's a big match for both. Horan and Mayo will want to reestablish dominance in Connacht and also look for a bounce back from the poor display in the Dublin match, there will be no league final this year for the maroon but Galway need a win to keep out of relegation danger and maintain the current good run against Mayo.

I haven't watched the match back yet but McQuillan did Galway some disservice not producing a black card for that Lyne body check, it was right in front of him, I couldn't believe my eyes when he did nothing. The lack of consistency in the application of the rules affecting team numbers during this league is infuriating, black cards cost Galway badly today and a cast iron black isn't given to the opposition at an absolutely crucial time in the match? McHugh hit off the ball as well in the second half and nothing happened either. Jokeshop.

The Kerry supporters were there in great numbers and were utterly partisan for their team. As a result there were some fairly entitled one eyed Kerry gombeens on the terrace that you'd wonder were they watching the same match as yourself but you couldn't fault their passion for their team.
Now as for the Galway support in Tuam today, we hear plenty of North Galway folk going on about how tough it is to get in and out of Pearse and that's the reason they don't travel, Tuam is the real "home of football" where matches should be played etc. Where were they today? It was 50/50 between the two counties and the opposition support drove all the way from Kerry, a fine, dry day as well - there should have been a bigger Galway crowd there. Hurlers were out at the same time as well but in a match against Offaly that they were always going to win and in the Galway football heartlands the preference should surely be the big ball. Excuses about the quality of Galway's play and issues with Kevin Walsh will no doubt be trotted out this time around but the Galway support is just so flaky, it's no wonder the refs don't feel under any pressure from the home support to give a few homer decisions that might swing a tight match.

A comprehensive review of the game as usual. Anyone any idea what McHugh's black card was for?

Turnover wise Kerin was unlucky when O'Brien dispossessed him near the end, it was a clear foul before O'Se literally got the ball and just ran with it. Duane got caught in the first half, after his good game the last day I thought he was poor enough yesterday. Duggan every match so far has been turned over in the middle of the pitch, would like to see Cooke given a chance to partner Flynn before the end of the league. Walsh had one of those days where he gave it away too much but in fairness he was trying to make things happen as opposed to the other turnovers we suffered. Duggan, O'Donnell & Duane find themselves all too often on the ball in the middle 3rd and their all a bit one paced and one dimensional on the ball; I'm fairly confident to state that only one of them at most would be starting come the height of summer should Galway get that far. Then when you add in Kerin's limitations on the ball and Wynne's too it doesn't make a great mix especially when you consider the way Galway play. I don't think yesterday will have done anything to deter Kevin Walsh on Galways pattern of play, Kerry took advantage when they had the man extra but when it was 15 on 15 they really struggled to make any sort of inroads.

We all know what to expect from Galway in terms of style but finding only performing in one half is even more frustrating at this stage, with all the injuries and with the Corofin players missing it really it is likely going to be June 16th before we know where Galway are at.

Itchy

Delighted with the Cavan performance yesterday although still plenty of improvement possible as we kicked a huge amount of wides. Played into the wind in the 1st half and were the better team but Ros kept in it with some great point taking. Then Maddens fantastic  goal before half time set us up well. Ros had their purple patch just after half time and got back in front but only to be undone by Maddens 2nd goal against the run of play at the time. What a ball from Murray to Madden for that one. Harney sending off killed Ros, I was right beside it and while he didnt make a strong contact with Brady he did strike out at him into his face. Stupid stuff, right in front of the linesman and Gough was watching them too following a seperate incident a few seconds before. I doubt they will succeed in overturning that. For Cavan Killiam Clarke was massive at midfield, winning his contest with Enda Smith. I though Murray and Moyagh were excellent also as was McVitty who is really potentially one of the best players in Ireland in my opinion. Great to see Gerry Smith back, a guy who I would have put above McVitty in those U21 teams - really hope he can get up to speed quickly and fulfil his potential.  Ross have a lot of good players, didnt happen for them yesterday and they seemed very dodgy under the high ball especially. Still its league football and you dont know what training is happening. Realistically we are still hot favourites for the drop and we possibly need 3 points from our games away to Tyrone and Monaghan. The last game at home to Dublin likely a write off. Still feels good to produce a very good performance in the top tier.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 25, 2019, 10:09:33 AM
Anyone any idea what McHugh's black card was for?

No more than myself no one around me at the match seemed to see what happened there. I thought McQuillan was initially going to go back to book/card a Kerry player who upended Duggan in the previous passage of play but the McHugh card has to be for something off the ball, although it surely wasn't an illegal body check anyway given that Lyne got away scot free with that down the stretch  ::)

Duggan every match so far has been turned over in the middle of the pitch, would like to see Cooke given a chance to partner Flynn before the end of the league.

I think he needs to make a change up here also or revert to playing another genuine midfielder in the half forward line as he did in most games last year. One of the key takeaways from yesterday was when Galway absolutely had to get possession from their own kickout during injury time that we don't seem to have the set plays that put players into a position where they are an 80:20 favourite for the ball. Even with 14 players there should be something in the locker that can be called upon when badly needed. This has been an ongoing issue and while the restarts have certainly improved a bit since KW came in, Galway's setup for kickouts by bunching one side of the pitch with the midfielders and the rest of the players going for the breaks is - while effective enough - completely predictable at this point so teams will have well planned out how to they can best set themselves up to combat it. Some refinement is absolutely required here for the championship.

I don't think yesterday will have done anything to deter Kevin Walsh on Galways pattern of play, Kerry took advantage when they had the man extra but when it was 15 on 15 they really struggled to make any sort of inroads.

We all know what to expect from Galway in terms of style but finding only performing in one half is even more frustrating at this stage, with all the injuries and with the Corofin players missing it really it is likely going to be June 16th before we know where Galway are at.

I think you're spot on there to be honest. The general pattern of play is not certainly not going to change but if the transition speed and the attacking impetus when on the ball improves then in a one off match with a full deck I think Kevin Walsh genuinely believes that system will put Galway in a position to beat any team not named Dublin. The reality of that is certainly open to question however.

galwayman

Some good posts there lads.
I don't have an issue with us getting bodies back - but when we win the ball back we don't break at pace and give any early ball inside.
Someone always turns back or sideways and slows it all down.
Some recurring issues...
1. As per above - the speed or lack thereof in our counter attacking play.
2. Some of our backs' discomfort in possession is hurting us.
Kerin got caught yesterday yes - but every time Seán Andy carries the ball he looks like he is either going to give a bad pass away or get bottled up and turn it over.
These two guys simply  have to pop off a short ball before  they attract traffic.
They're costing us scores.
Brads and Duane got caught a few times also yesterday but it's less of a recurring issue for these lads.
3. Our chance conversion ratio is terrible.

mouview

Given that Galway typically set up very defensively, I don't think the black card for McHugh (a forward), was necessarily the turning of the game. It was more due to Kerry settling into the match (with the breeze) I think, and exposing our poor FB line, even if SAOC had one of his better outings. Not a good day for the Annaghdown contingent; both got caught badly by bringing the ball into contact, and Kerins and his mouth got a good chasing by O'Brien et al.

There wasn't an awfully bad home crowd there, but it's not an excuse to say that few are attracted to see this Galway team play. They are desperately hard to watch and I wouldn't have gone to see them play in Salthill, had it been there.

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on February 25, 2019, 04:04:13 PM

Given that Galway typically set up very defensively, I don't think the black card for McHugh (a forward), was necessarily the turning of the game. It was more due to Kerry settling into the match (with the breeze) I think, and exposing our poor FB line, even if SAOC had one of his better outings. Not a good day for the Annaghdown contingent; both got caught badly by bringing the ball into contact, and Kerins and his mouth got a good chasing by O'Brien et al.

There wasn't an awfully bad home crowd there, but it's not an excuse to say that few are attracted to see this Galway team play. They are desperately hard to watch and I wouldn't have gone to see them play in Salthill, had it been there.
Kerry owned the Galway kickouts at the start and the runners didn't get a look in.
It's great to be in Division 1 for that kind of experience if they can learn from it. Winning is all about learning.

As regards the fans I remember maybe 1993 when Tomas Mannion's sister was complaining that nobody
was going to see them. And who was to know what would later transpire ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Fhairche Abu

Look it's just my own personal opinion/frustration about the generally piss poor Galway support, felt more like a Kerry home match at times yesterday.
I've heard plenty of different reasons for this down through the years, always seems to be something and it was the same way when Galway played the nice traditional stuff as well.

Rossfan

Have ye still got just 90 (Ninety) season ticket holders???
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 25, 2019, 04:29:42 PM

Look it's just my own personal opinion/frustration about the generally piss poor Galway support, felt more like a Kerry home match at times yesterday.
I've heard plenty of different reasons for this down through the years, always seems to be something and it was the same way when Galway played the nice traditional stuff as well.
It's always been the way as far as I can remember and I've been going to Galway matches for the best part of 40 years, notable exception being late 90s and early 00s for obvious reasons.  The hurling support had actually dwindled quite a lot in the late 90s so it's not surprising to see it all linked to relative success I guess.  Anyway, it is what is right now but hopeful of it growing in the next couple of years! 😉

galwayman

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on February 25, 2019, 04:55:49 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 25, 2019, 04:29:42 PM

It's always been the way as far as I can remember and I've been going to Galway matches for the best part of 40 years, notable exception being late 90s and early 00s for obvious reasons.  The hurling support had actually dwindled quite a lot in the late 90s so it's not surprising to see it all linked to relative success I guess.  Anyway, it is what is right now but hopeful of it growing in the next couple of years! 😉
Hurlers have had the same over the years.
When it looks like they might do something the crowds will come out - otherwise they stay away.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Rossfan on February 25, 2019, 04:46:23 PM

Might even be fewer people since ;D

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Rossfan on February 25, 2019, 04:46:23 PM

Never heard that. I'd be surprised if it's true despite the limited entertainment value of Walsh ball.

The hurlers season ticket was completely sold out this year. I know a fair few people who couldn't even get one.

larryin89

Galway support has always been relatively poor but Roscommon support is exaggerated too , many championship games I can recall in recent years with rossie numbers way down on what they'd have today.But qf two years ago was the most I ever witnessed , I'd guess it's a record per population ,had to be 35k ros there that day. Mayo probably the most consistent but again exaggerated as in the league games for example these last few years has been phenomenal compared to when I was young ,Christ you could nearly count them at away games back in the 90s, nowadays it's near 5k plus no matter where we go  .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .