NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

That Mooney fella did them no harm anyway.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Soju

Interesting article about the influence Dublin have over the GAA, how they are using it to their advantage and how that inevitably is ruining football.

https://punditarena.com/features/emackenna/mackenna-on-monday-dublin-financial-advantage-must-be-addressed/

TheGreatest

Quote from: Ringfort on February 12, 2019, 10:18:42 PM
I've really enjoyed the league again this year, three rounds in, plenty of stories and intrigue. The super 8s were introduced to try and improve the structural mess of the championship and there is constant talk of tiered championships. Maybe the powers that be were over complicating things. The perfect tiered competition is staring them in the face and more and more people are open about the league being the best competition we have. How about we just improve what we have???

Give the league more prominence.
Cut out the flab out of the championshiip.

I would run the league and championship concurrently. Three league divisions of 10,10,12 played from March to June. Championship starting in April and an open draw straight knockout played in between league games much like the soccer in England does the FA Cup. League semis and finals in July. AI final August bank holiday weekend.

Provincial championships played in Jan/Feb as stand alone competitions directly replacing FBD, McGrath cup etc.

Crucially, club leagues run in tandem with the county season from March to July. WITHOUT county panelists unless deliberately released by county management. Club championship played with full panel when county season over in August, Sept and October.

I know this is a bit off topic but I've just been thinking of ways to improve the league as you still get the very top teams (Kerry, Dublin ) giving it the "arra it's only the league we won't be getting excited" and "we're only back 4 weeks ie we don't give a shit" when for everyone else it's the best competition they have yet isn't given the full respect it deserves.

As Dublin fan and from a Dublin perspective, the league is a much better competition and worth more winning that the Leinster championship which is a dead competition and Dublin have 3 pre knock stage friendlies before the Super 8S, Lets be honest. Meath joint top of Div is a small hope.

The home and away format of the league is the way forward for the championship.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: TheGreatest on February 13, 2019, 08:12:22 AM
Quote from: Ringfort on February 12, 2019, 10:18:42 PM
I've really enjoyed the league again this year, three rounds in, plenty of stories and intrigue. The super 8s were introduced to try and improve the structural mess of the championship and there is constant talk of tiered championships. Maybe the powers that be were over complicating things. The perfect tiered competition is staring them in the face and more and more people are open about the league being the best competition we have. How about we just improve what we have???

Give the league more prominence.
Cut out the flab out of the championshiip.

I would run the league and championship concurrently. Three league divisions of 10,10,12 played from March to June. Championship starting in April and an open draw straight knockout played in between league games much like the soccer in England does the FA Cup. League semis and finals in July. AI final August bank holiday weekend.

Provincial championships played in Jan/Feb as stand alone competitions directly replacing FBD, McGrath cup etc.

Crucially, club leagues run in tandem with the county season from March to July. WITHOUT county panelists unless deliberately released by county management. Club championship played with full panel when county season over in August, Sept and October.

I know this is a bit off topic but I've just been thinking of ways to improve the league as you still get the very top teams (Kerry, Dublin ) giving it the "arra it's only the league we won't be getting excited" and "we're only back 4 weeks ie we don't give a shit" when for everyone else it's the best competition they have yet isn't given the full respect it deserves.

As Dublin fan and from a Dublin perspective, the league is a much better competition and worth more winning that the Leinster championship which is a dead competition and Dublin have 3 pre knock stage friendlies before the Super 8S, Lets be honest. Meath joint top of Div is a small hope.

The home and away format of the league is the way forward for the championship.
dead competition because ye play all the games at home
last time ye were in longford in 2006 ye barely got out of there and ye didn't have to play another game outside Croker for 10 years

northsideboy

Quote from: Soju on February 13, 2019, 03:05:17 AM
Interesting article about the influence Dublin have over the GAA, how they are using it to their advantage and how that inevitably is ruining football.

https://punditarena.com/features/emackenna/mackenna-on-monday-dublin-financial-advantage-must-be-addressed/
There is plenty that could be said about that writer. Interesting isn't the term that I would use though.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: northsideboy on February 13, 2019, 09:23:24 AM

There is plenty that could be said about that writer. Interesting isn't the term that I would use though.
attack the writer, classic deflection
why not debate the issues?

BennyHarp

I've little time for McKenna generally but ffs, how can you argue against the points raised in this article? The GAA set up committees to make endless baffling changes to the rules, under the guise of saving the game, whilst they continue to actively fund, promote and facilitate its biggest killer. Its unreal.
That was never a square ball!!

seafoid

Predicting the league this year is hard
Irish Times from Saturday

Monaghan v Galway, Inniskeen [Live, TG4] – Two teams with a 50-50 record to date and a fair bit of recent history. The evening Galway's progressive 2018 went off the rails was when Monaghan arrived in Salthill for the last of the All-Ireland quarter-final round robins. The home side's performance was astonishingly poor and it was downhill from there. Against Dublin they flattered to deceive and have now been further reduced by injuries to Cillian McDaid, who was impressive early on last week but now needs surgery on his foot, former All Star nominee Declan Kyne (ankle injury), and full back Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh (shoulder). At home Monaghan will want to get back on the track that led them to beat Dublin on opening day. Verdict: Monaghan
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Tubberman

Quote from: seafoid on February 13, 2019, 09:53:53 AM
Predicting the league this year is hard
Irish Times from Saturday

Monaghan v Galway, Inniskeen [Live, TG4] – Two teams with a 50-50 record to date and a fair bit of recent history. The evening Galway's progressive 2018 went off the rails was when Monaghan arrived in Salthill for the last of the All-Ireland quarter-final round robins. The home side's performance was astonishingly poor and it was downhill from there. Against Dublin they flattered to deceive and have now been further reduced by injuries to Cillian McDaid, who was impressive early on last week but now needs surgery on his foot, former All Star nominee Declan Kyne (ankle injury), and full back Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh (shoulder). At home Monaghan will want to get back on the track that led them to beat Dublin on opening day. Verdict: Monaghan

Hindsight is you've engaged in there.
The league is always difficult to predict, that's why people enjoy it. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

manfromdelmonte

The biggest issue in Dublin  is not enough clubs

macdanger2

Was there much discussion of the schemozzle on RTÉ on Saturday night? It was passed over completely on Sunday evening by the Dolan & Brolly. Tbh, I've no problem with that as I don't think there was a lot in it but hopefully they'll be consistent when it's two other counties.....

northsideboy

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 13, 2019, 09:25:05 AM

When a writer is so embittered as he is, he best left ignored

From the Bunker

Quote from: northsideboy on February 13, 2019, 12:12:22 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 13, 2019, 09:25:05 AM

When a writer is so embittered as he is, he best left ignored

When i seen "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche" it shows he definitely reads GAABOARD. ;)

A great concise piece. There are a growing amount of us bitters. And for good reason. 

Maroon Manc

What was MacKenna getting at the other day with his tweet about Lee Keegan? He deleted it the next day.

Whilst we're on about Mayo I read the other day that there charging $25000 for a table of 10 at a fundraiser in the states!! If they can sell all those tables for that amount then you'd have to take your hat off to them. I can't understand their county board though, they've a huge diaspora which is probably bigger than anyone elses that they could take more advantage off. Their lack of a commercial manager is baffling, they should have been taking advantage of this team since 2012.

weareros

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 13, 2019, 12:19:18 PM
What was MacKenna getting at the other day with his tweet about Lee Keegan? He deleted it the next day.

Whilst we're on about Mayo I read the other day that there charging $25000 for a table of 10 at a fundraiser in the states!! If they can sell all those tables for that amount then you'd have to take your hat off to them. I can't understand their county board though, they've a huge diaspora which is probably bigger than anyone elses that they could take more advantage off. Their lack of a commercial manager is baffling, they should have been taking advantage of this team since 2012.

Was there some brouhaha with the Mayo county board trying to get the team attend a function right before the championship match in NY, and the team rightly declined. Or was that us the Rossies. I can never remember which county board annoys their supporters the most.