The Whiskey Thread

Started by gallsman, December 08, 2014, 03:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

One of my friends set up a whiskey blog and club a few years ago.  Was quite successful till he scaled it back for lockdown and family reasons but I have become a massive fan of whiskey as a result.  We used to meet once every three months and each of us would bring a bottle and do a blind tasting.  Over lockkdown what we did was order a tasting kit online in stead.  Some of them were excellent for 20-30 quid and allowed you to figure out exactly what you like.  As result I now feel the redbreast previously discussed is lovely as are any of Mack Mayra Swedish whiskies.

Have quite a collection now as well and my uncle just released his own whiskey under the Matt Darcy brand out of Newry.  Objectively been impressed with it too
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

gallsman

Where's the distillate sourced from? Bushmills?

The Celtic Whiskey Shop and L. Mulligan Grocer have been doing a roaring trade in online tastings during the pandemic. Some of them have been great value.

lurganblue

Quote from: David McKeown on December 22, 2020, 05:03:43 PM
One of my friends set up a whiskey blog and club a few years ago.  Was quite successful till he scaled it back for lockdown and family reasons but I have become a massive fan of whiskey as a result.  We used to meet once every three months and each of us would bring a bottle and do a blind tasting.  Over lockkdown what we did was order a tasting kit online in stead.  Some of them were excellent for 20-30 quid and allowed you to figure out exactly what you like.  As result I now feel the redbreast previously discussed is lovely as are any of Mack Mayra Swedish whiskies.

Have quite a collection now as well and my uncle just released his own whiskey under the Matt Darcy brand out of Newry.  Objectively been impressed with it too

Yes I saw this on a Facebook competition last week

gallsman

Taste is obviously the most important sense when it comes to anything you eat or drink. Smell is important, but clearly secondary. It's particularly relevant when doing tastings but anyone who properly noses a glass of whiskey every time they take a sip has too much time on their hands.

"Scottish single malts" is a broad brush. A lot of them are unpeated and as smooth as Irish whiskey. Auchentoshan is famously triple distilled like Irish whiskey and, for me at least, indistinguishable from it.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

What's this green spot stuff like

gallsman

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 24, 2020, 06:18:14 PM

Gorgeous. One of the best of all Irish whiskeys. Great value compared to what you can pay for some stuff.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: gallsman on December 24, 2020, 08:49:12 PM

Gorgeous. One of the best of all Irish whiskeys. Great value compared to what you can pay for some stuff.

Daughter bought me bottle there, just about to pour one

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: hardstation on December 25, 2020, 09:53:29 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 24, 2020, 09:19:13 PM
Quote from: gallsman on December 24, 2020, 08:49:12 PM

Daughter bought me bottle there, just about to pour one
......died.

;D

*Actually hope not.

Still here unfortunately for some. Have to say twas a nice tipple

David McKeown

Quote from: gallsman on December 22, 2020, 07:12:00 PM
Where's the distillate sourced from? Bushmills?

The Celtic Whiskey Shop and L. Mulligan Grocer have been doing a roaring trade in online tastings during the pandemic. Some of them have been great value.

I'm not sure I must ask. It didn't taste like Bushmills but I'll check. I think he's planning on having the old distillery opened again in 2022 or so.

Had quite a few tastings over lockdown. I think some of the Mackmyra ones were my favourite.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

weareros

Tried Connemara over the Christmas and was underwhelmed. I suppose if you get used to the stronger Islay peat whisky, it's got a weak taste in comparison. Certainly after drinking it next to Ardbeg Uigeadail, it paled in comparison. I did try Yellow Spot too and that's a fantastic single pot stil Irish whiskey and it's good to see an old Dublin whiskey revived - whether it tastes the same as it did when it was first established in 1805 is another question.

Hound

Quote from: weareros on January 01, 2021, 09:18:50 PM
Tried Connemara over the Christmas and was underwhelmed. I suppose if you get used to the stronger Islay peat whisky, it's got a weak taste in comparison. Certainly after drinking it next to Ardbeg Uigeadail, it paled in comparison. I did try Yellow Spot too and that's a fantastic single pot stil Irish whiskey and it's good to see an old Dublin whiskey revived - whether it tastes the same as it did when it was first established in 1805 is another question.
Connemara would be a pathway to Islay whisky. If you reached to liking Islay, then you'd never go back to Connemara. Personally I find Ardbeg 10 the peatist of all, so prefer it to Uigeadail.

Not a whiskey , but enjoying Chartreuse Green this Christmas break.  A stunning drink. 

lurganblue

Do any of you buy online? If so, any recommendations for sites.

I got a few good deals before Christmas on Amazon but now they don't seem to ship to NI.  I assume this is a Brexit consequence at the minute.

gallsman

Quote from: lurganblue on January 22, 2021, 01:24:10 PM
Do any of you buy online? If so, any recommendations for sites.

I got a few good deals before Christmas on Amazon but now they don't seem to ship to NI.  I assume this is a Brexit consequence at the minute.

A lot of sites have been buggered by brexit. Have used both master of malt and the whisky exchange before.

oakleaflad

Bit of advice. Complete novice when it comes to Whiskey.

Historically I wouldn't have had a drink too often when at home and if I did it would have been a beer or two. Over lockdown I've discovered that I much prefer having a whiskey whilst watching tv, especially in these wintery evenings.

I've had a couple bottles of Jameson which I liked alright but recently had a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 and really enjoyed it too. It's got me in the mood to branch out and try a few. Is Glenfiddich a typical example of a scotch? Any other recommended Irish ones I should try? Nothing too pricy until I find out what I like I suppose. Complete beginner here but open to try a few recommendations