Michael Rice--Hurling future in doubt!

Started by Absent, September 21, 2012, 11:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Absent

From The Hogan Stand today:

Crocked Rice fears for future
21 September 2012

Michael Rice admits that he has no idea when - or if - he will ever hurl again.

Kilkenny's All Star midfielder had his finger smashed by a reckless Padraic Maher swing during the All-Ireland semi-final win over Tipperary and the injury immediately ruled him out for the rest of the year. But there is also doubt over the player's future in the game as he confirmed in today's Star:

"I didn't ask that question. I was afraid to ask that question to be honest with you. I don't know how long it will take."

Rice, who spent three nights in hospital, also confirmed that he has not been contacted by the Premier County defender by way of an apology.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Absent on September 21, 2012, 11:47:56 AM
From The Hogan Stand today:

Crocked Rice fears for future
21 September 2012

Michael Rice admits that he has no idea when - or if - he will ever hurl again.

Kilkenny's All Star midfielder had his finger smashed by a reckless Padraic Maher swing during the All-Ireland semi-final win over Tipperary and the injury immediately ruled him out for the rest of the year. But there is also doubt over the player's future in the game as he confirmed in today's Star:

"I didn't ask that question. I was afraid to ask that question to be honest with you. I don't know how long it will take."

Rice, who spent three nights in hospital, also confirmed that he has not been contacted by the Premier County defender by way of an apology.

Ah jaysus, talk about 2+2 = 5. Rice 'didn't ask the question' and doesn't 'know how long it will take'. Therefore his future is in doubt. That's a bit of a stretch.

Asal Mor

It does sound pretty bad though. I was reading that his hand was so smashed up that they had to put in a plate and seven screws. I'm no doctor but that sounds career threatening to me. Very bad form on Maher's part not to have apologised by now.

theskull1

Mahers challenge on Rice that day was one of the worst I have ever seen. Swung a foot away from the ball with pure intent on inflicting pain/damage AFAIC
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Link

Terrible tackle. Hope he plays for the cats again!

Absent

Quote from: theskull1 on September 21, 2012, 03:00:36 PM
Mahers challenge on Rice that day was one of the worst I have ever seen. Swung a foot away from the ball with pure intent on inflicting pain/damage AFAIC

The result of the challenge was bad but I don't know if the tackle/pull was all that bad,did Mahers hurl not travel up Rices rather than a pull across the hand,it was a complete accident I'd say.

What about the apology though,is it expected nowadays,the KK lads have done a fair bit of rough tough and dangerous tackling to opponents over the past number of years,maybe they have apologized privately but I doubt it.

Did anyone see  Brian Hogans pull on Iarla Tannian in the first two minutes of the AI final,it fairly downed him but no lasting damage but I suppose that is the difference really,you are in the clear if there is no long term damage.

joe bloggs

At the very least what Maher did was dangerous play in that incident. He also nearly took the head of Power in the first half that day, along with two other wild pulls in the second half

theskull1

Maher pulled a good foot or more behind the ball absent so his bas went smashing right into MR's hand. It didnt travel up the stick.

It was a really low blow and one I'm fairly confident that was delivered with intent.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Premier Emperor

It was a wayward swing, but people are only saying it was dangerous because of the outcome.
You'd see half a dozen like it in a full blooded game and no one passes any remarks.