Players finally get their Grants

Started by boojangles, December 10, 2008, 06:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Sonny Joe on December 11, 2008, 11:37:48 AM
County player why are you even bothering your arse engaging with Hardy. He cant see the forest for the woods. He thinks you should drive the odd 20 mile to do weights in a gym on a saturday morning or Monday night and pay for the petrol yourself. He doesnt see that the boards doesnt pay for that expense. regardless of the fact that your prepared to put more voluntary time into the gaa than anyone else he has met other than another county player for the next 12 months. But hey your in a privledged postion so put up with it.

Thank you for telling me what I think. Yo go ahead and post for me from here on then.

Quote from: Sonny Joe on December 11, 2008, 11:57:21 AM
Orangeman club players dont bring millions of pounds in to the GAA. County players do that. That is the defining diffence and if you cant distinguish the difference, well it looks like the GPA has a future.

What do I think of this bullshit?

Fear ón Srath Bán

'dietry and hydration expenses' would be a term best avoided to avoid any 'elitist' labelling I'd say, and at the end of the day if it's not the love of the jersey, be that parish, county, province or country that energises the player then they'd be best not pulling on that jersey at all.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

County Player

Late entry for lamest cliche of the year category

magpie seanie

Quote from: Sonny Joe on December 11, 2008, 11:37:48 AM
County player why are you even bothering your arse engaging with Hardy. He cant see the forest for the woods. He thinks you should drive the odd 20 mile to do weights in a gym on a saturday morning or Monday night and pay for the petrol yourself. He doesnt see that the boards doesnt pay for that expense. regardless of the fact that your prepared to put more voluntary time into the gaa than anyone else he has met other than another county player for the next 12 months. But hey your in a privledged postion so put up with it.

You see this is the kind of stuff that really annoys me on here. People making stuff up out of thin are and voicing it as fact. Anyone who has been on this board for any length of time would know that simply does not represent Hardy's opinion at all. Even if you weren't on the board long you could just trawl back a few posts on this thread and see this "They're already reimbursed for their expenses and rightly so" So less of the blatant lies please.

The point Hardy makes is undeniable. County players are the least out of pocket group in the GAA. These grants are payment for playing gaelic games.

Bensars

Quote from: southoftheborder on December 11, 2008, 11:59:46 AM
agree with county player the hole way,

I work with a county player, during the months of jan/feb/march/april and may he is on a high protein diet, pure chicken.steak fish 3/4 times aday, now this costs an awful lot more than my paltry ham sandwich

do we begrudge these guys reimbursements of this expenses - he also pays out almost 55quid a month on vitamins!!!

Thats his choice. Nobody is making him eat it. most counties also provide food after training also.
Dont expect everyone else to cover the expenses of your diet, when your eating the best of the best.

Still cant get my head around rehydration expenses. Mr Mc Nulty first brought this little beauty to prominace last year when he was crying about how bad the life was for a county player.

Orangeman club players dont bring millions of pounds in to the GAA. County players do that. That is the defining diffence and if you cant distinguish the difference, well it looks like the GPA has a future.

Wrong.  County teams do and have done consistently for many years. If you dont like it, move aside, there will someone to replace you. Therefore it is not the players that people turn out to see, it is the county. When the current crop has retired the support will continue

orangeman

Quote from: orangeman on December 11, 2008, 11:44:31 AM
Do club players get expenses or would they be entitled to expenses ?

They put in a lot of time as well - a lot of voluntary time with no reward usually.

Should club players form a union as well then ?

I'm amused at the comment about dietary and hydration expenses as well.  ;) ;D

I was of the opinion that we were all equal. Maybe not.

The grants are essentially payment for playing for playing Gaelic games.

County Player

The revenue taken from county games is not an issue in this argument imo.

the argument that lads should quit if its costing us money is a nonsense. if you propogate this to its end then we'll simply hve the 15 richest lads representing each county.

there are no government grants - only government expenses.

the only grants i'm aware of are paid out by either the gaa or the gpa.

magpie seanie

Quotethere are no government grants - only government expenses

Grand so lads. The shops should relable them ould sausages that they haven't thrown out yet and call them steaks and sell away at them!

Onion Bag

Quote from: orangeman on December 11, 2008, 12:16:00 PM

They put in a lot of time as well - a lot of voluntary time with no reward usually.

Here Here, you can dress it up whatever way you want, but at the end of the day it is pay for play,
No county player is ever out of pocket for anything associated with their game,
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: County Player on December 11, 2008, 12:11:59 PM
Late entry for lamest cliche of the year category

Last time I'll offer you any advice!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

corn02

To be fair lad, County Player is making some valid points.

It is an issue that I am on the fence with. I would be all in support for the expense/grants/insert word here but when someone like Sonny Joe belittles club players like that, it just shifts me towards the other side. Joe's annoying posts aside, why shouldn't they get the grants , it is not as if it is a massive amount.

orangeman

Quote from: corn02 on December 11, 2008, 12:31:56 PM
To be fair lad, County Player is making some valid points.

It is an issue that I am on the fence with. I would be all in support for the expense/grants/insert word here but when someone like Sonny Joe belittles club players like that, it just shifts me towards the other side. Joe's annoying posts aside, why shouldn't they get the grants , it is not as if it is a massive amount.

You're right - it's not massive - but as you say, it's the annopying distinction that some try to make - if there were no club players or clubs, there'd be nothing, no county teams, no grants, no arguments.

But to try and make a marked difference between club players and county players is wrong.

I can show you examples of where county players can't make their club team !

County Player

Quote from: Onion Bag on December 11, 2008, 12:28:47 PM
Quote from: orangeman on December 11, 2008, 12:16:00 PM

Here Here, you can dress it up whatever way you want, but at the end of the day it is pay for play,
No county player is ever out of pocket for anything associated with their game,

The highlighted sentiment is one i frequently come across from people who don't really have a grasp of whats involved but thats an argument that will only be met with the usual "well quit then" response if i make it.

My comment that ms has picked up on was tongue in cheek of course.

Onion Bag

I know plenty of county players and i know as fact that they are not out of pocket, any place they go or have to buy, they are sorted out for it. im not disputing the effort they put in, to be honest dont think i would have the commitment for it (Coupled with my skill levels ;) ) but financially they are never out of pocket,

The grants/expenses or whatver you want to call them is simply "pay for play"
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

County Player

I don't accept your argument anyway but if i do... you know lads who are all ireland champions. is it the same for tyrone hurlers?