Lar Corbett quits Tipperary

Started by The Wedger, February 06, 2012, 09:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wedger

Corbett decision stuns Tipperary

Tipperary hurling was in shock tonight with the news that Lar Corbett is to walk away from the county scene. The 30-year-old informed manager Declan Ryan in person and is believed to have circulated a text message to his Tipperary teammates to make them aware of his decision.

The 2010 hurler of the year, who scored a hat-trick of goals against Kilkenny in that year's final as Tipperary reclaimed the All-Ireland after almost a decade in the wilderness, had yet to return to training with the county this year.

He was named in the Munster interprovincial squad for the recent challenge match against a Tipperary selection in aid of Breast Cancer Ireland, but did not feature in that game either.

It is understood that Corbett will continue to line out for his club Thurles Sarsfields but his decision to quit the Tipperary set-up will send shockwaves through the entire hurling community. He met with Ryan this evening to confirm he was calling it a day after letting his teammates know that he was unable to commit himself fully to the cause by sending a group text message.

His withdrawal comes shortly after boss Ryan cut seven players from an extended squad. Corbett now becomes the second player from last year's squad to announce his intercounty retirement, following in the footsteps of fellow 2010 All-Ireland medallist Benny Dunne.

Armagh CĂșchulainns

Its all about the Hurling.

gallsman

Shocking news and will be a huge loss to Tipp. Took him a while to become consistent but the last three or four years he was borderline unplayable. Except in last year's All-Ireland of course.  :)

Wish him all the best for the future.

Onlooker

Nobody saw this coming, but if he feels that he should retire surely he is the best judge.  Huge loss to Tipp in view of his super form over the last 3 years in particular.  All Ireland medal winner in 2001 and 2010  and a great servant to Tipp for over a decade.  Best wishes to him and if he decides to come back in a year's time that would be great. :( :( :(

Shamrock Shore

As they said in Fr. Ted

"Fuckkin Hell"

All the best to Lar. Class act

spuds

Big loss to Tipp and a big loss to followers of hurling. Mentioned on radio earlier that work commitments were a reason, he runs a pub in Thurles ??
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

imtommygunn

Yeah - doesn't say he's retiring so maybe he'll be back.

So 2 years ago KK were done and Tipp were going to dominate now KK have won the AI and (probably) Tipp's most influential forward of the last couple of years has chucked it in. This will make it interesting.

orangeman

Declan

Just shows how much time and commitment is needed for the inter county player nowadays - Best of luck to him

maxpower

Strange decision given his age and form over the last few years, he was favourite for the POTY award before the final last year.  I would have thought running a pub it would actually help with business to retain a high profile.

Maybe Thurles Sars can go onto win a Munster Champsionship their quality would suggest they should have already
What happens next????

Magicsponge

Really didn't see this coming at all. Huge loss for Tipperary, I hope he does come back, he was great last year and I think he had a few years left in him

AQMP

Wow!  Big surprise.  Hope all goes well for him with the club.

thejuice

Such a loss for Tipp and for intercounty hurling in general that he's decided to hang it up. He was in flying form these last few years, it seems that last years final really frustrated him.

The 2010 final will live long in the memory of all hurling fans.

Anyway, I'm sure he knows whats best for himself and I wish him all the best.

Honours:
Two All-Ireland SHC titles (2001, 2010);
Four Munster SHC titles (2001, 2008, 2009, 2011);
Two NHL titles (2001, 2008);
Three All Star awards (2009, 2010, 2011);
GAA, GPA and Texaco Hurler of the Year (2010);
Three Tipperary SHC titles (2005, 2009, 2010).
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Minder

Lar is turning his hand to being a music promoter according to the HoganStand.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thejuice

Fair play, not a business to get minted doing unless your a big player. I know lads who do it for the enjoyment who are lucky to break even most nights.

Best of luck to him.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016