American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Auburn were excellent. Stidham might be the best QB in the class of 19. Great for ND to beat Michigan, but I wasn't overly impressed with Wimbush or the Offensive Line in the second half when that good Michigan D finally decided to turn up.

Alabama are fearsome still though.

Gmac

Quote from: Syferus on September 04, 2018, 07:48:54 PM
I have to say I'm amazed by the balls of Nike to make Kaepernick the face of their 30th anniversary campaign. There's no way they didn't know the firestorm they were walking into and still went ahead and did it. Sometimes even megacorpations can surprise you in good ways.

Also Auburn got off to a flier beating another top ten team in Washington at the weekend. Don't pencil in a Georgia-Bama rematch in the SEC championship just yet.
kapernick has got offers to play but turned them down and why wouldn't he when Nike  were bank rolling him all the time (sacrifice everything what a load of bollox)
Eric Reid the former 49ers safety who also protested is not on a roster which is much worse as he can really play .

lurganblue

Quote from: Gmac on September 06, 2018, 11:43:51 AM
I have to say I'm amazed by the balls of Nike to make Kaepernick the face of their 30th anniversary campaign. There's no way they didn't know the firestorm they were walking into and still went ahead and did it. Sometimes even megacorpations can surprise you in good ways.

Also Auburn got off to a flier beating another top ten team in Washington at the weekend. Don't pencil in a Georgia-Bama rematch in the SEC championship just yet.
kapernick has got offers to play but turned them down and why wouldn't he when Nike  were bank rolling him all the time (sacrifice everything what a load of bollox)
Eric Reid the former 49ers safety who also protested is not on a roster which is much worse as he can really play .

At least any potential clubs have seen what the reaction would be to offering him a contract.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Gmac on September 06, 2018, 11:43:51 AM

He has sacrificed a lot for his beliefs. He'd definitely be with a team now if he didn't protest or stopped when he was told to. Kaep was wealthy either way and he does an awful lot more for those less well off and less fortunate than most millionaires. He's not the problem here.

Reid is an even more scandalous situation. He's undoubtedly starter quality.

I like the Nike ad. Shaquem Griffin is starting at the weekend and it's good to highlight that. Clearly they're a big corporation so their bottom line is profit but they could easily have avoided this issue.

dec

Quote from: Gmac on September 06, 2018, 11:43:51 AMkapernick has got offers to play but turned them down 

From which teams?

Syferus

Quote from: dec on September 06, 2018, 02:10:53 PM
Quote from: Gmac on September 06, 2018, 11:43:51 AMkapernick has got offers to play but turned them down 

From which teams?

John Elway offered to take millions of his existing salary away for the honour playing for him, before the whole fuss got going.. some people really like clutching at straws because they don't like someone who doesn't just shit up and maintain the status quo.

dec

Quote from: Syferus on September 06, 2018, 02:14:44 PM
Quote from: dec on September 06, 2018, 02:10:53 PM

From which teams?

John Elway offered to take millions of his existing salary away for the honour playing for him, before the whole fuss got going.. some people really like clutching at straws because they don't like someone who doesn't just shit up and maintain the status quo.

That was a potential trade deal while he was still signed with the 49ers.

Gmac

Kaps girlfriend doesn't want him signing as a back up he's not as useful to her on a team as a second string Qb . I will be changing the channel when I see his advert coming on  tonight

Therealdonald

Quote from: Gmac on September 06, 2018, 07:48:24 PM
Kaps girlfriend doesn't want him signing as a back up he's not as useful to her on a team as a second string Qb . I will be changing the channel when I see his advert coming on  tonight

Why Gmac?

heganboy

i firmly believe that the NFL are more than happy for the blackballing case go to court. CK will be too old to play by the time the case and the appeal are done, and NFL will pay and walk and not care.

and I firmly believe he is being blackballed
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Therealdonald

Quote from: heganboy on September 06, 2018, 09:11:57 PM
i firmly believe that the NFL are more than happy for the blackballing case go to court. CK will be too old to play by the time the case and the appeal are done, and NFL will pay and walk and not care.

Without a doubt he is being blackballed. Look at how Ben Roethlisberger, Winston, Greg Hardy all still have jobs.

gallsman

Quote from: Therealdonald on September 06, 2018, 09:20:45 PM
Quote from: heganboy on September 06, 2018, 09:11:57 PM

Without a doubt he is being blackballed. Look at how Ben Roethlisberger, Winston, Greg Hardy all still have jobs.

Winston might not have a job much longer by all accounts...

Minder

If he was really good, Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady good, he would be starting. He isn't so the owners obviously don't see it as being worth the hassle. He would be a marginal starter/good back up in my opinion.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rois

Going to USC at Stanford on Saturday...excited!

Oraisteach

Should be a great game, Rois. A rivalry match-up with PAC implications.