Gypsy Camp on M50

Started by Sky Blue, July 18, 2007, 12:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Blacksheep on July 20, 2007, 12:10:48 PM
There is a poll on the RTE news home page on this. They aren't getting much sympathy.
And they deserve none either. Typical chancers playing the sympathy/bleeding hearts card to force the state to indulge their whims, off with them back to Romania.

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: 5iveTimes on July 23, 2007, 11:14:38 AM
The extended Roma family who have been living in a makeshift camp on a roundabout in north Dublin are reportedly set to take High Court action this week in an effort to prevent their deportation.

Eighty-six Romanian immigrants have been living on the M50 roundabout in Ballymun for several weeks.

Last week, gardaí served them with deportation orders.

The immigrants have 15 days to appeal and reports this morning say lawyers have volunteered to take up their case in the courts this week.

Meanwhile, some members of the community will also seek a court order looking for emergency accommodation for some of the children living in the camp.

The family have been given widespread media coverage since news emerged of their appalling living conditions.

However, the Roma Support Group says the families fear they would face worse conditions if they were deported back to Romania.

This will keep the bleeding hearts busy for a while.I wonder who will pay for their day/days in courts????? .....oh does this mean i have toput my hand into my pocket again for another one of these pointless cases... Off home with them.

downredblack

The land of the 1000 welcomes my hole , never ceases to amaze me how racist this country is . Parochial , little people who will never know any other way and who will hand their bigotry on to their kids the exact same way it was handed onto them .
Sure If this gang went out to work they would be accused of stealing "our Jobs" by some . The Nordies have had it for 30 odd years and they are only 100 miles up the road . These poor f**kers from Romania / Latvia / Poland etc etc have no chance .

Hardy

It's a form of bigotry (and a sure sign of the lack of a decent argument to support your position) to label people as racists for no good reason.

On what basis can it be considered racist to suggest that it's not a reasonable immigration policy to "welcome" (1000 times, no less) nomads to come here to set up transient camps in the midst of traffic? But sure it's great for the ould self esteem to consider oneself righteous and good. Labelling those who disagree as racist and bigoted further enhances the effect.

downredblack

I am not labeling people racists for no good reason , I see it every day of my life in one way or another and I think it stinks . If its not the kids on the roundabout today it will be some other "foreigner " tomorrow who will be on the receiving end of our legendary welcomes .
My self esteem has nothing to do with it but sure if it makes you feel better away you go .

Hardy

Your post was on the thread about the Romanian immigrants camping on the M50 and seemed to imply that those who thought it wasn't a good idea were racists and bigots. It also seemed to imply that they should have been accorded "1000 welcomes". If that's not what your post meant, perhaps you'd clarify, because it's confused the hell out of me otherwise.

armaghniac

Ireland has by any measure had a large amount of immigration in recent years, without major incident, so while not perfect and capable of improvement is hardly an especially racist place. As for nordies, as one such I can say that DownredBlack is talking bollix, and the election of a president from your own county suggests otherwise. Ireland is a relatively small country and cannot accommodate all of the unfortunates in the world, we have set up laws to regulate people coming to the country and it is reasonable for people to respect those laws. It is also reasonable for Irish people to take a negative attitude to people that give two fingers to those laws.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

downredblack

Of course I don't want to see kids (no matter where they are from ) living on a roundabout and I didn't mean to imply that people who thought it wasn't a good idea as racist . But reading trough the posts did leave me with the impression of intolerance . " off home with them " being a sentiment that a few on here would seem to hold .

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: downredblack on July 23, 2007, 02:57:46 PM
The land of the 1000 welcomes my hole , never ceases to amaze me how racist this country is . Parochial , little people who will never know any other way and who will hand their bigotry on to their kids the exact same way it was handed onto them .
Sure If this gang went out to work they would be accused of stealing "our Jobs" by some . The Nordies have had it for 30 odd years and they are only 100 miles up the road . These poor f**kers from Romania / Latvia / Poland etc etc have no chance .
I have no problem with anyone who wants to come to this country within our legal parameters and work and try and better themselves,but lets not kid ourselves about these gypsies,they do not want to come here to work or try to better their situtation,they want handouts and social welfare. By the way i am getting a pain in my hole about this racisim card been raised at every turn, these people should be sent back to the country from where they came or else back to their homeland. They enetered this country illegally and contrivened not just Irish law but European law as well. i see you are from the north downblackred,how about we send them up to you and let your taxes fund their court cases? or even better maybe you will let them live in your back garden. But dont come on here claiming that everybody who doesnt agree with an open borders policy is racist, thats just a stupid and a lazy retort.

armaghniac

Quotehow about we send them up to you and let your taxes fund their court cases

Actually if they we clued in they should head for the North and create further legal confusion. Don't suppose they read GAAboard though.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Pangurban

Anyone who denys that there is an extremely high level of racism within Ireland is simply not living in the real world. Throughout this discussion there has been a failure to draw proper distinction between illegal immigrants and asylum seekers. This is in part due to our archaic immigration laws, which render it virtually impossible for any of these groups to enter the Country legally. Those who do succeed in gaining access,albeit illegally, or kept waiting years for their case to be heard and throughout this time or denied the right to work, thus becoming a burden on the state, which few of them wish to be.

Colonel Cool

50 Romas leave M50 roundabout
Tuesday, 24 July 2007 07:26

Around 50 members of the Roma community living on the roundabout off the M50 at Ballymun have left the area under garda supervision.

Members of the Garda National Immigration Bureau and the Dublin Metropolitan North Division went to the roundabout at 5am this morning.

Gardaí say around 50 people voluntarily left the area, boarded buses and were taken to accommodation where they are currently being cared for.

AdvertisementThey will remain there until they are repatriated to northern Romania.

It is believed there are still around 20 people left at the camp.

Last night, the Minister for Justice, Brian Lenihan, said he had served deportation notices on members of the Roma community encamped on the roundabout.

Minister Lenihan said the Roma community there would be removed from the State unless they could give a valid reason to remain.

Speaking on RTÉ's Questions and Answers, Mr Lenihan said the Romanian community in Ireland had advised him that if the State allowed the Roma people into Ireland, thousands more would follow.

Representatives of the Roma community had said a number of those living at the roundabout had agreed to be repatriated to Romania.

The rest of the community had decided to remain at the camp, saying they did not want to return to Romania.

RTE
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

downredblack

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on July 23, 2007, 04:36:42 PM
Quote from: downredblack on July 23, 2007, 02:57:46 PM
I have no problem with anyone who wants to come to this country within our legal parameters and work and try and better themselves,but lets not kid ourselves about these gypsies,they do not want to come here to work or try to better their situtation,they want handouts and social welfare. By the way i am getting a pain in my hole about this racisim card been raised at every turn, these people should be sent back to the country from where they came or else back to their homeland. They enetered this country illegally and contrivened not just Irish law but European law as well. i see you are from the north downblackred,how about we send them up to you and let your taxes fund their court cases? or even better maybe you will let them live in your back garden. But dont come on here claiming that everybody who doesnt agree with an open borders policy is racist, thats just a stupid and a lazy retort.

I don't agree with an open borders policy ( there is only one border I would like to see removed ) and I did not claim that everybody who doesn't agree with an open borders policy is a racist , please don't put words in my mouth . Maybe I went off topic with my initial post but it was due to a perceived level of intolerance I thought some posters were expressing towards immigrants .
Should all Irish illegals be sent home from the US ?

Gaeilgoir , I pay my taxes to the same place as yourself and have done all my working life .

stephenite

Are you the same Downredblack that was part of the protest against the Northern Irish soccer team in Chicago last year?