mylestheslasher

Quote from: corn02 on January 09, 2009, 10:36:08 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 09, 2009, 10:10:14 AM
Quote from: kumquat on January 08, 2009, 07:41:49 PM
Abroad - Hamburg
Scotland - Edinburgh
England - Newcastle

three gret cities for a stag

Was on a stag there 3 months ago. Half of us couldn't get into a pub with no drink on us and the hotel we were staying in refused to let us into the residents bar. We were an old enough crew and while people had a few onboard we were good mannered. Everyone we came across in Dundalk acted like we were a stag so were nothing but trouble. I  take no pleasure in saying this about Dubdalk since my father is from there. Carlingford on the 2nd night was the complete opposite and was might craic.

I thought they were all abroad?

Carlingford is a great spot for a stag. Had a great time there earlier in the year. Stay away from Dundalk though cos it is not friendly place

Old belief. I have been going to Dundalk for the last two years reguarly and have seen about two fights.

bennydorano

Quote from: full back on January 09, 2009, 11:12:55 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 09, 2009, 11:06:32 AM
Maybe we were unlucky in Newcastle but different members of our group were hounded by squaddies on 3 or 4 ocassions

You group must have some lookers for the squaddies to hound you 3/4 times, after all there is plenty of birds floating about...........
Well, my Ma says I'm a cracker, cant speak for the rest of them. :P

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Canalman on January 09, 2009, 09:25:11 AM
Galwaybayboy, imo you are in living in cloud cuckooland if you think that Irish is still widely spoken in Galway city . Have visited Galway at least twice a year (bar a stint in Oz) since the 70s and imo the use of Irish in the city has all but finished since the late 1980s when you heard the use of Irish by muintir Chonamara everywhere. My Irish is a bit stale but I still reckon after 14 years at Gaelscoileanna that I can recognize the language.

I humbly apologize for giving my opinion on Galway City......... obviously another Irish Sacred Cow immune to criticism.

Well it still is widely spoken in relation to other Irish cities but that doesn't mean that the girl behind the bar or the security guard will have any Irish. They probably won't. I'm not sure what you were expecting to be honest. Big groups of Gaelgoirs walking down Shop Street wearing Aran sweaters? It just doesn't work like that. It might only be two old ones in a shop or two fella's at the counter of a pub. Depending where you go you could hear Irish every day in Galway city but you won't hear it at the counter of Boots or Easons. At least not usually. You have to know where to go.

Certainly over the Christmas period I heard Irish being spoken on the streets most days as they were obviously in from the Gaeltacht doing their shopping but you have to remember the population of the entire Galway Gaeltacht is only 40,000 people and only a couple thousand of those may be in Galway city any given day and they can easily become lost in the city.

Back in the 1970's the population of Galway city was far smaller with no foreigners around. Irish was much more noticeable on the streets. It's been the fastest growing city in Ireland though for pretty much the entire last 20 years and the growth in population hasn't come from the Gaeltacht but from immigrants both foreign and domestic and there isn't too many Irish speakers amongst that lot.

Again not saying you will be served in a shop or pub through Irish but I still hear it on the streets fairly regularly albeit it might only be a family or two people talking and I don't even hang out in Irish speaking circles. If I made a bigger effort to I would probably hear even more.

Anyway this is taking the thread off subject.

corn02

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 09, 2009, 11:20:59 AM
Quote from: corn02 on January 09, 2009, 10:36:08 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 09, 2009, 10:10:14 AM
Quote from: kumquat on January 08, 2009, 07:41:49 PM
Abroad - Hamburg
Scotland - Edinburgh
England - Newcastle

three gret cities for a stag

Was on a stag there 3 months ago. Half of us couldn't get into a pub with no drink on us and the hotel we were staying in refused to let us into the residents bar. We were an old enough crew and while people had a few onboard we were good mannered. Everyone we came across in Dundalk acted like we were a stag so were nothing but trouble. I  take no pleasure in saying this about Dubdalk since my father is from there. Carlingford on the 2nd night was the complete opposite and was might craic.

I thought they were all abroad?

Carlingford is a great spot for a stag. Had a great time there earlier in the year. Stay away from Dundalk though cos it is not friendly place

Old belief. I have been going to Dundalk for the last two years reguarly and have seen about two fights.

Oh right, yes Dundalk it the worst spot for bouncers 'exerting' their power and refusing entry. I thought you meant rows, but if you go to Dindalk with a northern accent expect to be stopped.

Tony Baloney

What would attract you to Dundalk?!

5 Sams

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 09, 2009, 01:03:57 PM
Galwaybayboy, imo you are in living in cloud cuckooland if you think that Irish is still widely spoken in Galway city . Have visited Galway at least twice a year (bar a stint in Oz) since the 70s and imo the use of Irish in the city has all but finished since the late 1980s when you heard the use of Irish by muintir Chonamara everywhere. My Irish is a bit stale but I still reckon after 14 years at Gaelscoileanna that I can recognize the language.

I humbly apologize for giving my opinion on Galway City......... obviously another Irish Sacred Cow immune to criticism.

Well it still is widely spoken in relation to other Irish cities but that doesn't mean that the girl behind the bar or the security guard will have any Irish. They probably won't. I'm not sure what you were expecting to be honest. Big groups of Gaelgoirs walking down Shop Street wearing Aran sweaters? It just doesn't work like that. It might only be two old ones in a shop or two fella's at the counter of a pub. Depending where you go you could hear Irish every day in Galway city but you won't hear it at the counter of Boots or Easons. At least not usually. You have to know where to go.

Certainly over the Christmas period I heard Irish being spoken on the streets most days as they were obviously in from the Gaeltacht doing their shopping but you have to remember the population of the entire Galway Gaeltacht is only 40,000 people and only a couple thousand of those may be in Galway city any given day and they can easily become lost in the city.

Back in the 1970's the population of Galway city was far smaller with no foreigners around. Irish was much more noticeable on the streets. It's been the fastest growing city in Ireland though for pretty much the entire last 20 years and the growth in population hasn't come from the Gaeltacht but from immigrants both foreign and domestic and there isn't too many Irish speakers amongst that lot.

Again not saying you will be served in a shop or pub through Irish but I still hear it on the streets fairly regularly albeit it might only be a family or two people talking and I don't even hang out in Irish speaking circles. If I made a bigger effort to I would probably hear even more.

Can t remember what you call him but I remember a series on the telly about a guy trying to make his way around Ireland without speaking English. I seem to remember he got a positive response as Gaeilge in every shop he went into in Galway city.
The Aristocrat Years

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 09, 2009, 01:57:20 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 09, 2009, 01:03:57 PM

Can t remember what you call him but I remember a series on the telly about a guy trying to make his way around Ireland without speaking English. I seem to remember he got a positive response as Gaeilge in every shop he went into in Galway city.

That was No BĂ©arla wasn't it? Heard about it alright but didn't see it.

5 Sams

Quote from: hardstation on January 09, 2009, 02:15:19 PM
Manchan something or other. A buckin ballix. He got a good response outside Curley's too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_B%C3%A9arla

Sin an fear
The Aristocrat Years

Onion Bag

Heading to Kilkenny in May, anyone got any suggestions for cheap accomodation?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Onion Bag on January 13, 2009, 12:52:56 PM
Heading to Kilkenny in May, anyone got any suggestions for cheap accomodation?

The River Court hotel is right in the middle of the city,I never stayed there but it is a nice Hotel,plus I'd say there are great deals nowadays with hotels
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Onion Bag

Cheers, i will check that out, tell me is there any Lappers in Kilkenny, how much would you expected to pay for a dance

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Onion Bag on January 13, 2009, 01:00:10 PM
Cheers, i will check that out, tell me is there any Lappers in Kilkenny, how much would you expected to pay for a dance

Yeah there's one on Parliament street,I have never been in that one as I'm too well known in Kilkenny,you wouldn't know who be walking past as you came of the club..(pardon the pun  ;))
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Onion Bag

Is it an expnsive spot? pints and grub etc.

The Real Laoislad

Aye it can be,but no more than anywhere else..
Good grub place's are..

Ripleys Steakhouse..its on Rose Inn street across from Dunnes Stores
Italian Connection its on Parliment Street
Fredricks Steakhouse in the Ormonde Hotel
Langtons Bar on John's street..Probably the best for grub and most reasonable

Good pubs for beer

Syd's....  a great pub to start the night off in,it is a quiet pub as in there is no loud music banging out but it has the best pint of Guinness in Kilkenny IMHO

Tynans on the Bridge
The Left Bank
Langtons
Kytlyers Inn
Maggies
Carpe Diem
You'll Never Walk Alone.

bigfrank

was wonderin where is the best place to price flighst to liverpool/manchester??is there a site that gets u the best possible price at that time??someone said it best to book one way and then get a return flight on its own,says it works out cheaper??im thinkin bout st pats comin up just,cheers