Colm O'Rourke vs. the GPA

Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Paul Flynn's reply to Joe Brolly's half truths:

"He's entitled to his opinion as much as anybody is. But there were a couple of things he outlined that were factually untrue. Things around our commercial independence. We don't actually have commercial independence, just to clarify that.

"We have through our agreement with the GAA, we aren't actually able to go out and engage with corporates on our own. We can do it through a joint venture that we have with the GAA.

"Also around 'unchecked, ungoverned'. We've very strong governing structures. You were at our AGM, we outlined it all in our annual report. We're fully compliant with the government code for sporting organisations.

"We're audited by Deloitte, a big four firm. We've a GAA representative on our finance committee. We've a remuneration committee with three independents, who decide on salaries, and all salaries are benchmarked against other sporting organisations and similar organisations that exist in our size.

"So when you read things that are factually incorrect, that kind of... because I know the good work that goes on, on our governance side of things, and it's something that I, coming into the role, would be proud of and always trying to strengthen. I suppose it's easy to kind of write an article and not be checked on it. That's the only part.

"Other than that, he's entitled to his opinion. Do you know what I mean? Like everyone else is. But I'll keep fighting the fight for the players and representing them, and what's best in their interest. And the players know that.

"It's actually a bit like when you're playing. There can be journalists out there who like you and don't like you as a player. And I've learned one thing in my football career – you can control the controllables.

"You focus on your strategy, your game plan, what you want to achieve and keep driving on. There's going to be people along the way who aren't going to agree with you, but you've got to keep driving it on.

"Once you have an informed strategy based on feedback from players, based off best practice, that's what we'll continue to do. Some people will agree, some people won't. Some people who don't might actually start agreeing with me in time, and some will never."

Good man Flynner! Feck the begrudgers, they've already lost. Keep up the great work (even though the begrudgers will completely ignore all you do, but they're irrelevant )

omaghjoe

Quote from: Hound on November 14, 2019, 09:54:23 PM
"We've a remuneration committee with three independents, who decide on salaries, and all salaries are benchmarked against other sporting organisations and similar organisations that exist in our size."

No need to tell us so much about salaries Paul just tell us the actual figure

five points

Quote"We're audited by Deloitte, a big four firm"

A telltale sign of an outfit with too much money

joemamas

Quote from: Hound on November 14, 2019, 09:54:23 PM
Paul Flynn's reply to Joe Brolly's half truths:

"He's entitled to his opinion as much as anybody is. But there were a couple of things he outlined that were factually untrue. Things around our commercial independence. We don't actually have commercial independence, just to clarify that.

"We have through our agreement with the GAA, we aren't actually able to go out and engage with corporates on our own. We can do it through a joint venture that we have with the GAA.

"Also around 'unchecked, ungoverned'. We've very strong governing structures. You were at our AGM, we outlined it all in our annual report. We're fully compliant with the government code for sporting organisations.

"We're audited by Deloitte, a big four firm. We've a GAA representative on our finance committee. We've a remuneration committee with three independents, who decide on salaries, and all salaries are benchmarked against other sporting organisations and similar organisations that exist in our size.

"So when you read things that are factually incorrect, that kind of... because I know the good work that goes on, on our governance side of things, and it's something that I, coming into the role, would be proud of and always trying to strengthen. I suppose it's easy to kind of write an article and not be checked on it. That's the only part.

"Other than that, he's entitled to his opinion. Do you know what I mean? Like everyone else is. But I'll keep fighting the fight for the players and representing them, and what's best in their interest. And the players know that.

"It's actually a bit like when you're playing. There can be journalists out there who like you and don't like you as a player. And I've learned one thing in my football career – you can control the controllables.

"You focus on your strategy, your game plan, what you want to achieve and keep driving on. There's going to be people along the way who aren't going to agree with you, but you've got to keep driving it on.

"Once you have an informed strategy based on feedback from players, based off best practice, that's what we'll continue to do. Some people will agree, some people won't. Some people who don't might actually start agreeing with me in time, and some will never."

Good man Flynner! Feck the begrudgers, they've already lost. Keep up the great work (even though the begrudgers will completely ignore all you do, but they're irrelevant )

You must be either a relative or on an employee

johnnycool

Quote from: five points on November 14, 2019, 11:00:30 PM

And available here;

https://www.gaelicplayers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Annual-Report-2018.pdf

Page 54 will take you to the employees and remuneration section.

No specific details given as per each individuals income but a generic statement;

The total remuneration for key management personnel for the financial year amounted to €412,109
(2017: €471,806).

That could be one person, two, maybe 6, who knows!

WRT the Remuneration committee, not sure how Paul can say the committee has more independents that members but that's maybe only relevant when the decisions around salaries are discussed.

REMUNERATION, PEOPLE & CHANGE COMMITTEE
Sean Murphy     Chairman        Independent
Paul Flynn         Member          Director (resigned 24 September 2018)
Fergus Clancy    Member          Director
Patricia Gordon  Member          Independent (appointed 30 April 2019)
Philip Greene     Member          Director (appointed 30 April 2019)

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: johnnycool on November 15, 2019, 09:13:01 AM

And available here;

https://www.gaelicplayers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Annual-Report-2018.pdf

Page 54 will take you to the employees and remuneration section.

No specific details given as per each individuals income but a generic statement;

The total remuneration for key management personnel for the financial year amounted to €412,109
(2017: €471,806).

That could be one person, two, maybe 6, who knows!

WRT the Remuneration committee, not sure how Paul can say the committee has more independents that members but that's maybe only relevant when the decisions around salaries are discussed.

REMUNERATION, PEOPLE & CHANGE COMMITTEE
Sean Murphy     Chairman        Independent
Paul Flynn         Member          Director (resigned 24 September 2018)
Fergus Clancy    Member          Director
Patricia Gordon  Member          Independent (appointed 30 April 2019)
Philip Greene     Member          Director (appointed 30 April 2019)
so could be almost 70k each?
nice work if you can get it

plus bonuses for the CEO bringing in more corporate clients? plus a car? health insurance? pension contributions?

I hope its not John Delaney that they were benchmarking their salaries against?

Esmarelda

Yeah, better to get a small time crowd that won't raise too much suspicion. Damned if you do and all that.

So they GPA are probably overpaid in many people's views.

Are they representing their members well or what is that people think they should be doing, other than declaring how much each individual is getting paid?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Esmarelda on November 15, 2019, 11:57:16 AM

Yeah, better to get a small time crowd that won't raise too much suspicion. Damned if you do and all that.

So they GPA are probably overpaid in many people's views.

Are they representing their members well or what is that people think they should be doing, other than declaring how much each individual is getting paid?
Representing?
They are trying to fundraise to increase their commercial revenue and pushing elitism within the GAA

I doubt they are too worried about the Leitrim hurlers

Rossfan

They have to be if Zac and the lads are paid up members.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

Good to see we keeping up the good ole amateur team ethos of the Gaa. Where it all go wrong.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 16, 2019, 12:54:26 AM
Good to see we keeping up the good ole amateur team ethos of the Gaa. Where it all go wrong.

Sentences with words missing was the start...

joemamas

Guess who was in NY for their annual "Dinner" this past weekend.
Absolutely disgraceful, at a time when the NY GAA are in the midst of trying to finance the rebuilding of Gaelic Park. Sums it all up.

Would love to hear the comments of the GPA defenders on the prior few pages on this latest event.

twohands!!!

Quote from: joemamas on November 17, 2019, 01:49:44 PM
Guess who was in NY for their annual "Dinner" this past weekend.
Absolutely disgraceful, at a time when the NY GAA are in the midst of trying to finance the rebuilding of Gaelic Park. Sums it all up.

Would love to hear the comments of the GPA defenders on the prior few pages on this latest event.

There does seem to be a strong whiff of junket to some of these trips - is there an element of going on trips to the US to raise money to go on trips to the US?

Hound

It's the whiff of pure begrudgery and ignorance on this thread that is hilarious.

You should read more Joe Brolly. You'll lap up his lies like the sheep you are.

The GPA are the driving force behind USA fundraising trips and have been for half a century. Ha Ha  ;D ;D

trailer

Quote from: Hound on November 18, 2019, 12:59:39 PM
It's the whiff of pure begrudgery and ignorance on this thread that is hilarious.

You should read more Joe Brolly. You'll lap up his lies like the sheep you are.

The GPA are the driving force behind USA fundraising trips and have been for half a century. Ha Ha  ;D ;D

The GPA have existed for half a century?