Previous topic - Next topic

bridgegael

Quote from: JMohan on October 20, 2008, 12:17:52 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 19, 2008, 01:59:45 PM
Hadn't been following this thread...
Quote from: bridgegael on October 08, 2008, 02:02:19 PM
Quote from: JMohan on October 08, 2008, 01:51:53 PM
Freeman never played
i think you'll find he played in the '03 series in australia.

Quote from: JMohan on October 08, 2008, 02:34:39 PM
If he did it was the stupidest decision ever by a rules manager
Why so?

Just had a read at the Irish News monthly sport magazine and Tommy did indeed play in 2003 and scored 2 points.
In my opinion he is not a Compromise Rules player ...
He's not physically strong enough for the Rules game
He hasn't the mentality to withstand the constant pyschological and physical taunting
He's too small to compete for his own ball

och  would ya quit.  from memory tommy did very well in the series,  why would you say he hasn't the mentality to deal with  the rough stuff??  have you anything to back that up??
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Jinxy

This is the way I see it going. If ticket sales for the 2nd game are reasonable then there won't be much trouble in the 1st game. If ticket sales are poor I GUARANTEE there will be a serious mill-up to generate a bit of interest for the 2nd test. Either that or some PR stunt will create tension between the two camps in the run-up to the 2nd game  (i.e. one of the Aussies saying someone is going to get it on the Irish team, like they did with Geraghty last time).
If you were any use you'd be playing.

bridgegael

i see the gaelic life are doing daily footage from the team down under on their website.  worth checking out.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

15 Johnny Blues

- Spotted this on Evening Herald website - Sheedy calls Boylan a Leprechaun!

FORMER Australia manager Kevin Sheedy has lit the torch paper for another potentially explosive International Rules series with some inflammatory comments that are sure to enrage the Irish party that has just landed in Perth.
Sheedy is particularly scathing of Seá Boylan - his opposite number for the ill-fated tour of Ireland in 2006 - and claims that he "ranted and raved" for an hour after the second test in Croke Park that year.
Meanwhile, a "leprechaun" reference to the former Meath boss, who has returned as Irish manager, could be deemed downright insulting.

Upped ante

The good news for the uncertain future of International Rules is that Sheedy is no longer involved, but he has certainly upped the ante ahead of the first test at the Subiaco Oval next Friday.
The former Essendon supremo was referring to the incredible press conference that followed the last infamous collision between Ireland and Australia.
At the time, Boylan was incandescent at some of the Australian antics, and the violent scenes that marred the tourists' cakewalk victory led directly to a postponement of the planned tour Down Under last year.
Only after much tough negotiations between GAA and Australian Football League chiefs, coupled with several rule changes, has the series been revived; but the hybrid code remains very much "on trial" over the coming fortnight.
Sheedy probably hasn't helped relations with his newspaper column advice to the Irish tourists. Writing in the Sunday Herald Sun, he suggests: "There is one thing I would like to pass on to the Irish ahead of the revived International Rules series. You can punch an Australian and we won't be totally insulted. But if you kick us, you are going the wrong way about it.
"After the last series was marred by controversial acts it would be disappointing if the Irish sought retribution.
"They should bump and tackle, but don't stick a leg out. If it's played in the right spirit, this will be a fantastic spectacle."
Recalling his own time as Australian coach, Sheedy claims there were some "over-reactions", adding: "Yes, Chris Johnson made a poor decision three years ago, but Danyle Pearce made a legitimate and honest tackle the last time the teams met.
"So at no other stage was I concerned about the way the game was being played.
"Irish coach Seán Boylan didn't see it that way and he ranted and raved for an hour after the match in Dublin.
"I almost fell asleep waiting for my turn and it was the first time I thought I had met a leprechaun," he writes.
""It could have easily been Ray 'Slug' Jordon giving me an earful. But at least there was passion and I'm thrilled the matches are back."
Australian vice-captain Adam Selwood - a veteran of the '06 series - has delivered a more conciliatory message while insisting the home side weren't thugs who simply wanted to "fight the Irish."
"We've gone through the rules and understand now what's acceptable and what's not compared to the last series," Selwood revealed.
"Obviously it did get out of hand a little bit for about ten minutes there, but I think the guys know where it stands. If something like that happens again, the series is off pretty much forever.
"So we're not here to fight the Irish or anything like that, we've got the utmost respect for them and I'm just hopeful it's going to be a good game and a fair game," he concluded.

full back

Quote from: 15 Johnny Blues on October 20, 2008, 05:40:36 PM
You can punch an Australian and we won't be totally insulted. But if you kick us, you are going the wrong way about it.
"After the last series was marred by controversial acts it would be disappointing if the Irish sought retribution.
"They should bump and tackle, but don't stick a leg out. If it's played in the right spirit, this will be a fantastic spectacle."

What is he talking about?
Who kicked who?

cavanmaniac

Sheedy's spot on there I think.

I mean anyone can see from the way, two years ago, that the Irish boys were talking about 'open slather' before the second test, and even targetting specific players before throw-in, that we clearly weren't intent on playing any football with the skilful Aussies who came here to play within the rules. Sheedy was at pains to underline this in every media interview he did at the time as well, and never once was evasive when quizzed on potential violence.

Sure, Johnson made a 'poor decision' (twice I think) the year previously, unfortunately 'deciding' to suffer a double reflex action due to a trapped nerve in his arm at precisely the time when an Irish player happened to be in the vicinity, with most accidental clotheslinings the result.

And then Boylan takes a misguided rant after the whole sorry show trying to cover up Ireland's naked agenda of thuggery with pure brass neck, while a clearly embarrassed Sheedy just sat there like the true Corinthian he is, only now letting his famous reputation for sportsmanship drop a little so he can lift the veil on what really happened two years ago.

Sheedy = champ.
Boylan = leprechaun.

corn02

Couldn't see it posted anywhere, but did anyone see McDonnells article on Hoganstand. Fighting talk. Very like Geezers from the last series.

Gold

when and what time is the first test on? Hopefully not when im at work!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

ExiledGael

Friday morning around lunchtime i think. Second test is the following Friday even earlier in the day.
Someone please tell me Setanta or someone is also showing this. Have big problems getting RTE.

stiffler

Quote from: stiffler on October 19, 2008, 07:10:16 PM
Does anyone know is there gonna be delayed coverage of this game shown sometime this weekend, so that all of us who have to work Fridays get to see the game????

??
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

From the Bunker

Thank god i will be working when this thuggery is on the Box >:(

magickingdom

looks like the first test will be a sell out (25k sold) with a crowd of 40k expected.

Puckoon

Im actually looking forward to watching the encounters, it will be very interesting to see the 4 hand passes then kick rule in play. How do you coach that one - just use three handpasses just incase someone hasnt counted correctly, or missed a handpass along the way?

Doire abú

I remember them doing something similar in the league about 13 years ago where you weren't allowed to handpass twice in a row.

thejuice

Actually starting to look forward to it a bit now, it got me in the end, Sadly i cant watch it. RTE's online coverage is Ireland only. Feckin' Setanta, could've had a peek during work. Hopefully RTE or AFL will have a tracker on the score
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016