Ireland V Austrailia International Rules Official Thread 2008

Started by BallyhaiseMan, September 11, 2008, 04:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

gerry

from todays indo, going by this nothing has changed, which leaves me with the question why are we there, or is it for a tan?

Aussies promise to get physical in Rules clashes

Monday October 20 2008

IRELAND'S International Rules squad arrived in Perth late last night to be told that the Australians were planning a heavy-duty, physical approach to the two Test games over the next two Fridays, WRITES MARTIN BREHENY.

The series was placed in jeopardy after disgracefully violent scenes marred the 2005 and 2006 games but Aussie captain Brent Harvey insisted that physicality would remain a major part of their approach.

"The advantage we'll have is being physical because their (Ireland) advantage is skill with the round ball but they're not used to tackling. So if we're to play our best we need to be hard in our attack on the ball. You can't not go in hard. We'll trust all the boys to do the right thing and going by the character of the players, it's not in anyone's make-up to go out and throw punches.

"We don't want to jeopardise the series for future players. But you try telling blokes like Shaun Burgoyne and Daniel Motlop to pull out of a contest -- you have no hope," said Harvey.

However, the fact that players from both countries who misbehave will, for the first time, have suspensions carried forward to their domestic programmes next year is expected to lead to improved discipline.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Main Street

Quote from: cavanmaniac on October 20, 2008, 06:03:37 PM
Sheedy's spot on there I think.

I mean anyone can see from the way, two years ago, that the Irish boys were talking about 'open slather' before the second test, and even targetting specific players before throw-in,
In particular, Geraghty's outrageously provocative comments were specifically designed to inflame an Aussie reaction.
His comments were made after he was cleared to play in the second test went something like. "I'm glad I'm cleared to play, now I can bring my 2 kids to watch their Daddy play in Croke Pk'.

Why else would he bring his kids to Croker except for them to see Daddy get the retaliation in first.

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Puckoon

cavanmaniac

Quote from: Main Street on October 20, 2008, 09:34:39 PM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on October 20, 2008, 06:03:37 PM
Sheedy's spot on there I think.

I mean anyone can see from the way, two years ago, that the Irish boys were talking about 'open slather' before the second test, and even targetting specific players before throw-in,
In particular, Geraghty's outrageously provocative comments were specifically designed to inflame an Aussie reaction.
His comments were made after he was cleared to play in the second test went something like. "I'm glad I'm cleared to play, now I can bring my 2 kids to watch their Daddy play in Croke Pk'.

Why else would he bring his kids to Croker except for them to see Daddy get the retaliation in first.

;D

DownFanatic

Australian Squad

Nathan Bock (Adelaide), Matthew Boyd (Western Bulldogs), Jared Brennan (Brisbane Lions), Campbell Brown (Hawthorn), Shaun Burgoyne (Port Adelaide), Matt Campbell (North Melbourne), Ryan Crowley (Fremantle), Michael Firrito (North Melbourne), Nathan Foley (Richmond), Brent Harvey (North Melbourne), Roger Hayden (Fremantle), Leigh Montagna (St Kilda), Daniel Motlop (Port Adelaide), Marc Murphy (Carlton), Michael Osborne (Hawthorn), Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood), Drew Petrie (North Melbourne), David Rodan (Port Adelaide), Max Rooke (Geelong), Brad Sewell (Hawthorn), Kade Simpson (Carlton), Adam Selwood (West Coast), Dale Thomas (Collingwood), Scott Thompson (Adelaide), Daniel Wells (North Melbourne)

Stay goalside of your man

Does anybody know what time the highlights are on rte (i presume they have the rights) on Friday night?

Tubberman

That p***k Sheedy is at it again. Can he not fck off now that he's not involved. Makes my blood boil, that w**ker. From today's independent:

Sheedy said the only concerns he had about the way the game was being played was Chris Johnson's fist frenzy in 2005 that earned him a hefty suspension.

"At no other stage was I concerned about the way the game was played. Sean Boylan didn't see it that way and he ranted and raved for an hour after the match in Dublin. I almost fell asleep waiting for my turn and it was the first time I thought I had met a leprechaun," recalled Sheedy.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Hardy

Why are we engaging with these people? Our sporting cultures have nothing in common. Theirs seems to be based on boorish, swaggering bravado and trash-talking the opposition as exemplified by that mouthy clown. That sort of bombastic shite is alien to the GAA way. We tend towards understatement, self-effacement and talking up the opposition - see Seán Cavanagh, Seán Boylan or just about any Irish player interviewed. What is this crap junket supposed to bring to our game or contribute to our sporting culture?

Jinxy

This "leprechaun" thing is exactly the kind of PR stunt I was talking about. Now Seán Boylan will be asked to comment on what was said.
This bastard game is all about money so whatever it takes to sell tickets is legit as far as the aussies are concerned.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

under the bar

QuoteIt's a disgrace that Ronan Clarke wasn't picked, he would have went if picked, stand by my arse!

Maybe his girlfriend wouldn't let him as the wags weren't invited?

full back

Quote from: under the bar on October 21, 2008, 10:11:19 AM
QuoteIt's a disgrace that Ronan Clarke wasn't picked, he would have went if picked, stand by my arse!

Maybe his girlfriend wouldn't let him as the wags weren't invited?

Should have been a stand up comedian ;)

full back

Armagh ace Steven McDonnell insists that Ireland will not lie down to the Australians in this year's International Rules series if the Tests take the same turn towards physicality as they did two years ago.

McDonnell was apart of the Irish team in 2006 where chaos had entered the two tests at Croke Park, forcing sporting bodies from both countries to abandon the series for the following year. Now the Irish team, managed by Sean Boylan, travel to Australia and McDonnell has confirmed that the side will not be lying down to any "bullyboy tactics" that the hosts might deploy.

"What went on two years ago is certainly in the back of players minds," McDonnell told the Irish Mail on Sunday. "It was disgraceful and we'll be going out to prove we're capable of winning. We aren't going to lie down, regardless of what tactics they take into the game.

"We're going out to beat them at playing football first and foremost but if they want to use their bullyboy tactics of two years ago then we'll act accordingly. Obviously, we're not as strong as them but we'll hit into them if we have to."

The Killeavy clubman recalls his last experience against the Aussies as one where the opposition didn't want to play "any kind of football".

"I was being pulled and hauled for three quarters of the game and it does get frustrating when the man you're marking doesn't want to play any kind of football.

"What can you do? At the end of the day, I wasn't going to let him push me around, and if I wasn't going to be allowed to play football then neither was he."

While this year, both the GAA and the AFL have pledged to clean up their acts so as the game can have some kind of future, McDonnell is hopeful that the opponents can stick to playing football over the two tests.

"I can't see the Australians lying down; I still think they're going to be physical but maybe they'll take more of the thuggery out of it."

Meanwhile, it has emerged that McDonnell's Armagh team mate Ronan Clarke is said to have snubbed Sean Boylan's offer of a trip Down Under as he refused to be held in reserve for the series.

After Kerry star Tommy Walsh had decided not to join up with Boylan's side, it was said that Clarke was offered his ticket but refused to be second choice and now lines out in the Armagh SFC final for Crossmaglen Rangers today.

Monaghan's Paul Finlay answered Boylan's call and has flown out with the squad this weekend.

I didnt know Clarke had snubbed Boylan
If the series passes off without incident & Ireland are beaten I think Boylan has a lot to answer for

ludermor

Anybody know the best place to watch the games in Las Vegas?