The official Premier League 2018/19 Thread

Started by heganboy, July 03, 2018, 12:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Birmingham City fans might not agree but good to see Aston Villa back in the Premier league. Villa park one of those old grounds that has a bit of character.

ziggy90

As a Birmingham fan I'm glad to see the back of them.
And I do think Vile Park is probably the best football ground in the country.
I do hope they get relegated next season though.  ;)
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

TabClear

Kolasinac always struck me as a bit of a madman.  :D

Arsenal's Sead Kolasinac fights off armed men trying to rob Mesut Özil's car

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/25/arsenal-sead-kolasinac-armed-robbery-mesut-ozil-car-london

Arsenal's Sead Kolasinac fights off armed men trying to rob Mesut Özil's car

The Arsenal full-back Sead Kolasinac fought off two men wielding knives after he and his teammate Mesut Özil were attacked in north London on Thursday.

In a video of the incident, Kolasinac can be seen jumping out of a vehicle to confront the masked aggressors, who had pulled alongside the car on mopeds.

In the footage, both men were seen brandishing knives at 26-year-old Kolasinac, who ran at them regardless.

A witness, Azuka Alintah, told the Daily Mail that Özil had subsequently spoken to police outside a nearby Turkish restaurant, from which staff had come to the players' aid. "Özil looked absolutely terrified, as anybody would after being chased by men with knives. He looked like he was running for his life."

An Arsenal spokesperson said: "We have been in contact with both players and they are fine."

Kolasinac and midfielder Özil are not the first London-based footballers to be targeted on the road. In 2016, then West Ham striker Andy Carroll was threatened at gunpoint on his way home from training.

Police, who had received reports of an attempted robbery, went to Platts Lane, in north-west London, shortly before 5pm, according to Scotland Yard.

A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: "It was reported that suspects on motorbikes had attempted to rob a man who was driving a car. The driver, along with his passenger, managed to get away unharmed and travelled to a restaurant in Golders Green, where they were spoken to by officers." The spokesman said there have been no arrests and officers are still investigating the incident.

Topics

Tony Baloney

In hindsight he probably thinks it was a stupid thing to do. They would have been better staying in the safety of the G wagon, slipping it into gear and leaving he fellas with knives tyre marks across their head.

lurganblue

It's almost time for this to kick off and the transfer window is fairly heating up.  Lots of big deals look to be gathering pace but mayb e that is more media hype than anything.  Coutinho to either arsenal or spurs?  Eriksen to utd? Dybala somethere. Zaha with a transfer request....

Anyway my early predictions for top four would be...
1. City
2. Liverpool
3. Spurs
4. Utd

Relegation i'd go,
Sheff Utd
Norwich
Newcastle

(unfortunately villa will probably be well in the mix for the botttom 3 too).

Farrandeelin

1 Liverpool
2 city
3 Spurs
4 Chelsea

18 Burnley
19 Norwich
20 Sheff Utd.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

An Watcher

Maybe I'm getting old but the premier league and football in general is not what it used to be. Crazy money, lack of physical challenges, dour atmospheres at fancy new stadiums etc. etc.
Give me Keane v Viera at the old highbury any day in comparison to Henderson v fernandinho at the etihad.
Slightly off topic but just giving my tuppence worth!!

BennyCake

It's no longer the working mans game. Football sold its soul to Murdoch.

GJL

Quote from: An Watcher on August 07, 2019, 05:17:02 PM
Maybe I'm getting old but the premier league and football in general is not what it used to be. Crazy money, lack of physical challenges, dour atmospheres at fancy new stadiums etc. etc.
Give me Keane v Viera at the old highbury any day in comparison to Henderson v fernandinho at the etihad.

+1.

Nowhere near as entertaining as it used to be.

Cunny Funt

screenexile

Go away and shite lads if you think the standard of football hasn't improved in the last 20 years you're deluded!!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on August 07, 2019, 10:07:42 PM
Go away and shite lads if you think the standard of football hasn't improved in the last 20 years you're deluded!!!

The standard is better but maybe not as entertaining with less characters, sanitised
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Theres a forward line of Sturridge Andy Carroll and Berahino sittin waitin for a team with the balls to do it

Would be fun to watch for sure  :D

GJL

Quote from: screenexile on August 07, 2019, 10:07:42 PM

Go back and read what was said...

lurganblue

Quote from: An Watcher on August 07, 2019, 05:17:02 PM

Highbury the library?

I know what you are saying though.  The physicality has left the game in general i would say.

Quality is still there though.  City and Liverpool could be building a nice wee rivalry too.  All we need is for the two managers to go head to head and rip into each other!