Time to Split Dublin

Started by Dont Matter, September 22, 2013, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it right that Dublin got 7 million to implement a plan to dominate the GAA World?

Yes
42 (29%)
No
103 (71%)

Total Members Voted: 145

Bart McQueen

Need to split Dublin into 4 regions

From the Bunker

Quote from: westbound on July 21, 2016, 09:27:54 AM
How is Kerry's route so much easier than Dublin's or Mayo's for that matter?

or Tyrone? If you are good enough you will make your route to a semi final look easy!

Esmarelda

Quote from: Bart McQueen on August 09, 2017, 10:49:22 AM
I knew it'd be a simple solution that would solve it all in the end.

LeoMc

Quote from: Esmarelda on August 09, 2017, 11:00:12 AM
Quote from: Bart McQueen on August 09, 2017, 10:49:22 AM
I knew it'd be a simple solution that would solve it all in the end.
Perhaps we should have a boundary commission every 10 years to redraw the borders to ensure equal numbers in each "franchise".

westbound

Quote from: The Aristocrat on July 21, 2016, 11:42:11 AM

Please look at history, look through the 70s /80s, play Cork, then say play Antrim or another Nordie team and back then lets face it they were not great and then play a weakened team in the final unless it was Dublin.

3 games. 1 of them a handy number.

Some reading.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-lucky-kingdoms-allireland-route-proves-its-time-for-a-qualifier-rethink-34897898.html

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/340098/340098

How is that any different to Mayo in Connacht?

Or dublin who are streets ahead of the teams in leinster?

The point I'm making is the top 4 are miles ahead of everyone else. So they all have handy routes to the semi finals!

Also, you're argument about the 70/80's doesn't make sense. Are you saying that every year kerry (munster) were due to play the ulster champions they had a handy route to the final? Then surely every time dublin were due to play the ulster teams they had a handy route as well? Also, when did Antrim make an AI semi-final?

Or maybe the best teams make it look like they have easier routes?

I accept there is an imbalance in the number of games to be played by ulster and leinster counties, but that doesn't by itself make it more difficult for dublin to get to the AI semi.

My concern at the moment is that the top 4 are pulling miles ahead of everyone else, and there is no sign of the rest catching up!

Esmarelda

Quote from: westbound on August 09, 2017, 11:24:10 AM
Quote from: The Aristocrat on July 21, 2016, 11:42:11 AM

Please look at history, look through the 70s /80s, play Cork, then say play Antrim or another Nordie team and back then lets face it they were not great and then play a weakened team in the final unless it was Dublin.

3 games. 1 of them a handy number.

Some reading.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-lucky-kingdoms-allireland-route-proves-its-time-for-a-qualifier-rethink-34897898.html

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/340098/340098

How is that any different to Mayo in Connacht?

Or dublin who are streets ahead of the teams in leinster?

The point I'm making is the top 4 are miles ahead of everyone else. So they all have handy routes to the semi finals!

Also, you're argument about the 70/80's doesn't make sense. Are you saying that every year kerry (munster) were due to play the ulster champions they had a handy route to the final? Then surely every time dublin were due to play the ulster teams they had a handy route as well? Also, when did Antrim make an AI semi-final?

Or maybe the best teams make it look like they have easier routes?

I accept there is an imbalance in the number of games to be played by ulster and leinster counties, but that doesn't by itself make it more difficult for dublin to get to the AI semi.

My concern at the moment is that the top 4 are pulling miles ahead of everyone else, and there is no sign of the rest catching up!
Mayo lost to Galway in Connacht, squeezed by Derry after extra-time and beat Roscommon in a replay.

Tyrone are definitely the best team in Ulster but it's only two in a row they've won.

mrhardyannual

Splitting Dublin in two or four is not going to make weaker counties any stronger. In fact it could lead to two or three of the Dublin based teams dominating all competitions. It would also be a huge financial loss to the association as building a support base around Fingal or Dunlaoghaire/Rathdown might take a long time. I'm not sure that it's a runner to ask Dublin to consider it, any more than a parallel suggestion to amalgamate Sligo/Leitrim , Carlow/Kilkenny/Waterford  or Fermanagh/Monaghan.

seafoid

Tyrone might split Dublin, starting with Fenton
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyHarp

I read this on a Facebook post by GAA Weekly and my apologies if it has been shared before. But it would seem to me that if Dublin was ever split into two teams North and South, then we would run the risk of having a regular Dublin v Dublin All Ireland final. Though Dublin North in particular is very strong.

Here are the two teams:

Dublin North

1. Stephen Cluxton (Parnells)

2. Jonny Cooper (Na Fianna)

3. Philly McMahon (Ballymun Kickhams)

4. Darren Daly (Fingal Ravens)

5. Eric Lowndes (St Peregrines)

6. John Small (Ballymun Kickhams)

7. Jack McCaffrey (Clontarf)

8. Brian Fenton (Raheny)

9. James McCarthy (Ballymun Kickhams)

10. Paul Flynn (Fingallians)

11. Diarmuid Connolly (St Vincent's)

12. Ciaran Kilkenny (Castleknock)

13. Bernard Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett's/ER)

14. Paddy Andrews (St Brigid's)

15. Dean Rock (Ballymun Kickhams)

Dublin South

1. Lorcan Molloy (St Anne's)

2. Mick Fitzsimons (Cuala)

3. David Byrne (St Olaf's)

4. Cillian O'SHea (Kilmacud Crokes)

5. Conor Mullally (Cuala)

6. Cian O'Sullivan (Kilmacud Crokes)

7. Nicky Devereux (Balinteer St John's)

8. Michael Darragh MacAuley (Ballyboden St Enda's)

9. Denis Bastick (Templeogue Synge Street)

10. Niall Scully (Templeogue Synge Street)

11. Con O'Callaghan (Cuala)

12. Mark Schutte (Cuala)

13. Paul Mannion (Kilmacud Crokes)

14. Eoghan O'Gara (Templeogue Synge Street)

15. Kevin McManamon (St Jude's)
That was never a square ball!!

Jell 0 Biafra

Yep, be careful what you wish for, lads.

RedHand88

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 10, 2017, 01:52:47 AM
I read this on a Facebook post by GAA Weekly and my apologies if it has been shared before. But it would seem to me that if Dublin was ever split into two teams North and South, then we would run the risk of having a regular Dublin v Dublin All Ireland final. Though Dublin North in particular is very strong.

Here are the two teams:

Dublin North

1. Stephen Cluxton (Parnells)

2. Jonny Cooper (Na Fianna)

3. Philly McMahon (Ballymun Kickhams)

4. Darren Daly (Fingal Ravens)

5. Eric Lowndes (St Peregrines)

6. John Small (Ballymun Kickhams)

7. Jack McCaffrey (Clontarf)

8. Brian Fenton (Raheny)

9. James McCarthy (Ballymun Kickhams)

10. Paul Flynn (Fingallians)

11. Diarmuid Connolly (St Vincent's)

12. Ciaran Kilkenny (Castleknock)

13. Bernard Brogan (St Oliver Plunkett's/ER)

14. Paddy Andrews (St Brigid's)

15. Dean Rock (Ballymun Kickhams)

Dublin South

1. Lorcan Molloy (St Anne's)

2. Mick Fitzsimons (Cuala)

3. David Byrne (St Olaf's)

4. Cillian O'SHea (Kilmacud Crokes)

5. Conor Mullally (Cuala)

6. Cian O'Sullivan (Kilmacud Crokes)

7. Nicky Devereux (Balinteer St John's)

8. Michael Darragh MacAuley (Ballyboden St Enda's)

9. Denis Bastick (Templeogue Synge Street)

10. Niall Scully (Templeogue Synge Street)

11. Con O'Callaghan (Cuala)

12. Mark Schutte (Cuala)

13. Paul Mannion (Kilmacud Crokes)

14. Eoghan O'Gara (Templeogue Synge Street)

15. Kevin McManamon (St Jude's)

Christ there's the all ireland final from hell. :-X

Never was a fan of splitting Dublin. Was it discussed when Kerry won 7 out of 9? I'm not old enough to know.

Syferus

The second team is plenty beatable. If you think that's an argument against splitting Dublin, you need to look at it again.

It bares repeating - Dublin is not a county. It hasn't been one for quite some time.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on September 10, 2017, 02:09:13 AM
The second team is plenty beatable. If you think that's an argument against splitting Dublin, you need to look at it again.

It may be beatable on paper as you look at it now but a South Dublin team would quickly develop. The money structures would be put in place fairly quickly to enable them to flourish and I believe that the two Dublin teams would be very competitive very quickly.
That was never a square ball!!

RedHand88

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 10, 2017, 02:17:35 AM

It may be beatable on paper as you look at it now but a South Dublin team would quickly develop. The money structures would be put in place fairly quickly to enable them to flourish and I believe that the two Dublin teams would be very competitive very quickly.

Especially considering the potential for expansion there is in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown. The talent is there 100%. They just are playing rugby at the minute.

Syferus

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 10, 2017, 02:31:27 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on September 10, 2017, 02:17:35 AM

Especially considering the potential for expansion there is in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown. The talent is there 100%. They just are playing rugby at the minute.

You say that as if they're ever going to stop. More chance of getting prods in the north to play. Dublin would be split into Fingal, Tallaght, South DC, North DC and Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown, much as it administrated as in every walk of life besides the GAA.

Anyone who thinks a split Dublin wouldn't be good for the competitiveness of the sport is engaging in some serious whataboutry.