Time to Split Dublin

Started by Dont Matter, September 22, 2013, 05:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it right that Dublin got 7 million to implement a plan to dominate the GAA World?

Yes
42 (29%)
No
103 (71%)

Total Members Voted: 145

INDIANA

Quote from: Rossfan on September 28, 2013, 05:42:34 PM
Tyrone put up half the price of it themselves - fund raising from their own supporters.

so - so have we all. i want to know what he thinks about them getting govt funding

Flutehook

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 28, 2013, 07:36:54 PM

Don't cry cause you don't like the result.

The 'result' is irrelevant because of the ambiguity in the question - were you asking if it was fair that we got €7 million? Or were you asking if it is correct that we got €7 million?

Cry you Say!!?? Yes, but only tears of joy at the pleasant memories of the long evenings in the jacuzzi, with the leggy east-European 'physical therapists' of course, that our club spent its share of the €7 mill on!

Dont Matter

Quote from: INDIANA on September 28, 2013, 08:01:30 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 28, 2013, 05:42:34 PM
Tyrone put up half the price of it themselves - fund raising from their own supporters.

so - so have we all. i want to know what he thinks about them getting govt funding

Start a thread on it.

Quote from: Flutehook on September 28, 2013, 08:31:00 PM
The 'result' is irrelevant because of the ambiguity in the question - were you asking if it was fair that we got €7 million? Or were you asking if it is correct that we got €7 million?

Cry you Say!!?? Yes, but only tears of joy at the pleasant memories of the long evenings in the jacuzzi, with the leggy east-European 'physical therapists' of course, that our club spent its share of the €7 mill on!

I hope you cover up your track marks when you're in the jacuzzi.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Did anyone hear Eugene McGee on the radio this morning? On today fm. He was talking about Dublin having unlimited money and having a 19 member backroom team. He also mentioned reading about splitting Dublin on message forums. He has obviously been reading the great Don't Matter.
Eugene I have a new championship proposal also that would revolutionise Gaelic Football, radical to the core. I'll be in contact soon about it.

Don't Matters message is hitting the airwaves boys, it's going big time. Marty Morrisey rang looking for an interview but I told him I'm waiting for the Late Late to call. Soon Don't Matter will solve all the issues of the GAA, Dublin will be split, the league and championship format will outstand and amaze all. People will be calling for Don't Matter to get the big job; President of the GAA. El Presidente Don't Matter!
Peter Quinn

Rodman

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 28, 2013, 02:30:36 PM
Quote from: Rodman on September 28, 2013, 12:12:58 AM
Please explain the connection between Dublin getting 7m and calling for them to split. There are loads of other counties that have spent far less and are more successful. Dublin will never dominate GAA no matter how much money they spend.
Maybe Dublin got the money to help them compete with other sports in the City. There is not the  same level of competition between sports as there is in Dublin.
As I said before, your argument about splitting Dublin is nonsense.

They have spent the money, it can't be unspent. This is not like the other advantages Dublin have, this money has bought them 2 senior All Irelands, a serious upturn in hurling (including their first real Leinster title) and a complete turn around at underage level.
If it was a 100 metre race, nearly everyone else is beginning on the start line while Dublin are on the 70 metre line. The fact that they've still lost that race numerous times is an embarrassment to them but this situation is unfair.
That's why they have to be split, it's the only solution. We play an amateur sport that's meant to be based on fair play. Dublin are competing contrary to this. Some people mightn't think splitting Dublin is the answer but it's clear everyone realises something needs to be done.
Let everyone compete for Provincial and All Ireland honours fairly.

You still don't make sense. All this money has done is put the GAA in Dubljn on a par with soccer & rugby in the Capital and ensures Dublin are not loosing young talent to other sports. This money has not and never will make them the dominate force in GAA you seem to think they are. Why don't we split Kerry/Tyrone/Cork as they are and always will be more successful than Dublin. Dublin have nothing like the setup that the likes if Tyrone have. It's up the each county board to fight for and secure their own funding for the development if the games in their county. To call for Dublin to split because they won 2 all Ireland's is nonsense. You obviously just don't like the dubs, as this is the worst argument I have ever read in this board.

Orchardman

I's say this guy didn't come cheap for the dubs! Time for Don't Matter to investigate this set up!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/champions-secret-weapon-29618504.html

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: Orchardman on September 29, 2013, 11:56:59 AM
I's say this guy didn't come cheap for the dubs! Time for Don't Matter to investigate this set up!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/champions-secret-weapon-29618504.html

Oh god, here we go. This reminds me of gaa journalism circa Armaghs win in 2002

"McConville and McGeeney sat in the canteen watching Bridgid make the tea. They knew the sacrifices she had made. In the clubhouse three hours before each training session.Not home till midnight. They knew the tough choices she had to make. Lyons or Barrys, Lyons or Barrys....the intensity of it all....how  it kept her awake at night. To others it was just a cuppa... but McGeeney knew. McConville knew. Brigid knew. It was not just a cuppa.It was the cuppa that would bring Sam home so they could drink from him one more time.The ultimate cuppa "
<picture of Brigid looking flinty eyed at the camera>

INDIANA

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 29, 2013, 10:45:07 AM
Did anyone hear Eugene McGee on the radio this morning? On today fm. He was talking about Dublin having unlimited money and having a 19 member backroom team. He also mentioned reading about splitting Dublin on message forums. He has obviously been reading the great Don't Matter.
Eugene I have a new championship proposal also that would revolutionise Gaelic Football, radical to the core. I'll be in contact soon about it.

Don't Matters message is hitting the airwaves boys, it's going big time. Marty Morrisey rang looking for an interview but I told him I'm waiting for the Late Late to call. Soon Don't Matter will solve all the issues of the GAA, Dublin will be split, the league and championship format will outstand and amaze all. People will be calling for Don't Matter to get the big job; President of the GAA. El Presidente Don't Matter!

You're probably him! You're certainly as delusional as he is

Dont Matter

Peter Quinn

Dont Matter

Quote from: INDIANA on September 29, 2013, 04:54:57 PM

I wouldn't be Eugenes greatest fan but the man knows what's what when discussing the Dubs. The lack of talk about the amount of money available to Dublin amongst the media is disapointing. They're more concerned with getting interviews than doing their jobs. Maybe a Prime Time special report is needed, investigate this scam, show all the gory details. There's more than just financial cheating going on!
Peter Quinn

Eamonnca1

Bit of a serious allegation. Got any proof of that? Why don't you tell PrimeTime everything you know? In fact why do you need them to investigate? You have all the evidence.

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 30, 2013, 11:22:51 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on September 29, 2013, 04:54:57 PM

I wouldn't be Eugenes greatest fan but the man knows what's what when discussing the Dubs. The lack of talk about the amount of money available to Dublin amongst the media is disapointing. They're more concerned with getting interviews than doing their jobs. Maybe a Prime Time special report is needed, investigate this scam, show all the gory details. There's more than just financial cheating going on!
your being a bit silly now!
How much did Laois get for the redevelopment of OMoore Park ?  ;D

Jinxy

Quote from: Dont Matter on September 29, 2013, 10:45:07 AM

Why are you talking like a wrestler?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mike Sheehy

You know what is even more unjust ? The way Nordie teams get money from the British government AND the GAA. This surely gives them a huge advantage over southern teams. I think if you took away that funding they'd have no AI in recent years.

Lone Shark

It's in everyone's interests that Dublin remains a single county, no rational GAA person would advocate a split. They've always had way more people, way more clubs, and they've always been successful as a consequence, but the GAA scene would be far weaker for their absence.

On a personal level, I've no problem either with a huge amount of money being spent on coaching and training in the city. Young kids in Dublin deserve the same focus and attention as is given to kids down the country and it benefits everyone if playing underage GAA is seen as an attractive option.

On the other side of the coin, there is one area where Dublin spending massive amounts of money on their development is a very unfair advantage, and one that's easily rectified. Because Dublin have a huge budget for coaching, it means that they can employ players who are struggling for work and keep them in the city. Smaller counties lose players all the time due to emigration, or else they might stay around but can't commit to county football because they work long or awkward hours and simply don't have the spare time to compete with teachers/students/coaches, who have massive amounts of free time for training.

In Offaly, we have one full time coach in football and one in hurling. Dublin have, to my knowledge, at least six members of the county hurling panel employed as coaches, and I can only guess that there are several football panelists similarly employed. I have heard a number that there are over 100 people in total employed by the DCB, which is where the real advantage lies. When a promising young player in Offaly (for example) struggles to find work, they have to head to Australia/US/London. At any given time we've three or four probably starters on foreign shores. Then you have all the self-employed guys who can't train five or six times a week because they work sixty hours, and they pull out too. Dublin gets to give these guys handy jobs.

The answer for me is simple. The same amount should be spent per head on coaching and development everywhere, and county identities should be retained. However all staffing should be centralised, or else there should be a training centre somewhere so that the player from Wicklow or Louth is just as likely to get the job as coach for the greater Blanchardstown area as the player from Dublin.

Equally, there should be a leveling mechanism set up for teams that want to spend huge amounts on team preparation. No matter how lean and mean you run things, you will spend €100k a year on a county adult team. However it shouldn't be the case that some have to work like dogs to earn that, while others can spend half a million and more. If we set a rule that for every €2 you spent over €100k per year, you had to pay another €1 into a centralised fund that could then be spent around the country on teams that don't get the same attention, that could also be another reasonably fair way of balancing things up.