Leinster U-20 Football Championship 2019

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, April 23, 2019, 02:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: The PRO on July 10, 2019, 12:59:07 PM
Great win last night. I'll try and do ratings (someone here used to do it before) but I know it's completely dangerous! Don't attack me. Do your own ratings!  ;D

Byron 8 – Excellent kickouts and two top class saves. I'd imagine he will become Brody's number two sooner rather than later.

Dowling 8 – Great little bit of stuff. Sticky as hell. Another off the Portlaoise conveyor belt.

Lacey 8 – Plays quite like the da who I'm old enough to remember well. Tough, fast, sticky. Good prospect.

Mohan 7.5 – Solid, unspectacular. Rarely got turned and good passer out from the back.

Slevin 8 – Lively, very skilful. Nice point too.

O'Flynn 8.5 – Some prospect. Gives it everything and has all the skills too. Made one mistake at the very end when game was in the bag anyway.

Brophy 7 – Good display. Solid and willing to get forward

E Dunne 7.5 – Very good, hardworking display. Does all the simple things well.

Tyrell 7.5 – Remarks would be almost interchangeable with Dunne. Needs to work on the tackling. Having gotten an early yellow last night, another ref could well have given him another before half time.

Barry 7 – A mixed bag. Three fine frees but thought from play he was sloppy. The game will improve him.

Doran 7 – One really good point just after half time but the game bypassed him a lot otherwise.

Coffey 9 – Edged Kinsella for man of the match. Covered a lot of ground, two fine points, brilliant pass for the goal, never wasted a ball.

Kinsella 8.5 – Brilliant. Hardworker, tricky on the ball, always gives the right pass and can score too.

McCormack 7.5 – Big Dan! Reminds me of another former underage prospect Daryl Hayden who disappeared off the scene completely. Nice fisted point. Good awareness for the goal but there's something missing I think in terms of the way the team play.

Whelan 7.5 – Bad night on the frees but two great scores from play. Great to win with him a bit below par.

Owens 8 – Looked very lively when he came on, took a great score, but ran into tackles unnecessarily a few times.

N Dunne 7.5  - Looked good both times he came on. Definitely an option in midfield or anywhere in the forwards.

I couldn't rate the other subs. Too short a time on the field.

Very good assessment there Pro, just reposted it here as it might get more views on this thread.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

This seems to be a very strong Dublin side and we will have to be at our very best to beat them. We certainly have the players to do it but for once they are going to have to do it for the full hour, not in patches like they have been doing up till now.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/u-20-gaelic-football/ciarn-archer-stars-as-dublin-beat-wexford-to-make-u20-leinster-final-38297976.html
https://www.the42.ie/dublin-wexford-u20-football-report-parnell-park-4716734-Jul2019/

High Fielder

Hopefully Laois people will come out. It's at a nice time, near enough to us and no work the next day. Don't just settle for TG4. A good crowd supporting the lads could make a significant difference, and we don't get many chances like this. So come on folks, get off yer arses and give these lads some proper backing.

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

High Fielder

We were 1/8 to win in Mullingar. At this level, those sort of prices can mean very little. Meath were favourites the other night. It's like the Kildare forum after we beat them. A poster wrote something like Kildare should be beating Laois no matter what team they put out. You will get a lot of that GAA snobbery these days. I'd be amazed if those odds actually reflected a proper assessment of ability. They say more about the GAA world's obsession with all things Dublin to me. We'll be alright if we focus on out own game. We won't be too far off.

Unlaoised

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on July 11, 2019, 01:40:54 AM
Quote from: The PRO on July 10, 2019, 12:59:07 PM
Great win last night. I'll try and do ratings (someone here used to do it before) but I know it's completely dangerous! Don't attack me. Do your own ratings!  ;D

Byron 8 – Excellent kickouts and two top class saves. I'd imagine he will become Brody's number two sooner rather than later.

Dowling 8 – Great little bit of stuff. Sticky as hell. Another off the Portlaoise conveyor belt.

Lacey 8 – Plays quite like the da who I'm old enough to remember well. Tough, fast, sticky. Good prospect.

Mohan 7.5 – Solid, unspectacular. Rarely got turned and good passer out from the back.

Slevin 8 – Lively, very skilful. Nice point too.

O'Flynn 8.5 – Some prospect. Gives it everything and has all the skills too. Made one mistake at the very end when game was in the bag anyway.

Brophy 7 – Good display. Solid and willing to get forward

E Dunne 7.5 – Very good, hardworking display. Does all the simple things well.

Tyrell 7.5 – Remarks would be almost interchangeable with Dunne. Needs to work on the tackling. Having gotten an early yellow last night, another ref could well have given him another before half time.

Barry 7 – A mixed bag. Three fine frees but thought from play he was sloppy. The game will improve him.

Doran 7 – One really good point just after half time but the game bypassed him a lot otherwise.

Coffey 9 – Edged Kinsella for man of the match. Covered a lot of ground, two fine points, brilliant pass for the goal, never wasted a ball.

Kinsella 8.5 – Brilliant. Hardworker, tricky on the ball, always gives the right pass and can score too.

McCormack 7.5 – Big Dan! Reminds me of another former underage prospect Daryl Hayden who disappeared off the scene completely. Nice fisted point. Good awareness for the goal but there's something missing I think in terms of the way the team play.

Whelan 7.5 – Bad night on the frees but two great scores from play. Great to win with him a bit below par.

Owens 8 – Looked very lively when he came on, took a great score, but ran into tackles unnecessarily a few times.

N Dunne 7.5  - Looked good both times he came on. Definitely an option in midfield or anywhere in the forwards.

I couldn't rate the other subs. Too short a time on the field.

Very good assessment there Pro, just reposted it here as it might get more views on this thread.

Hard to argue with that...A tad generous with Tyrell I thought he wasnt up too much .
LAOIS ABÚ

Joeythelips

Joeythelips

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2019/07/19/profiled-the-laois-u-20-footballers-vying-for-leinster-championship-glory/

Sounds like a fine squad of players, and so many are still underage next year there is a bright future for some of these lads. Is also good for them that we have a senior manager who does not go on reputation, these lads know if they put in the hard yards Sugrue will give them their chance. Exciting times.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

They are a fine squad of players, a lot of big, useful players which is what's needed at this level.
Best of luck to them tonight, they are well capable of beating the dubs in this one..

GAA-SMART

Mixed first half, slow start and handed them a goal.. 6 down but the game is still there for us.

Don Draper

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on July 19, 2019, 03:14:49 PM
They are a fine squad of players, a lot of big, useful players which is what's needed at this level.
Best of luck to them tonight, they are well capable of beating the dubs in this one..
You see this is what we need to temper in Laois. These lads have a bit of potential, but they've a huge way to go to make it as senior intercounty players. A few of them got tough lessons tonight, I couldn't give a f**k about the result if they learn from them. You'd hope they're humble enough to do so. If they're not, they'll do sweet f**k all.

Giovanni

And no one's more temperate than your good self. As a matter of interest, what did you learn from the result?

High Fielder

Very similar problems to the Seniors. Nowhere near good enough getting primary or secondary possession, and as a result, a tsunami is thrown at our backs. Sometimes we allowed them far too much freedom, but in fairness, they were slick and really well prepared. Our tackling at all levels is ridiculously bad, and we have to, just have to find a way to stop getting beaten so badly. I felt we could have done to Meath what was done to us tonight, but we didn't, and for me that's weak.

The players in this team are all well capable. The same is true of a lot of players in Laois. The level of coaching is poor however, and there's no point sugaring that pill. Mental scarring after mental scarring is taking its toll.

As for Dublin, clearly nervy being run at. Freakishly mobile and strong. Looked like men against boys or professionals against amateurs at times. Well drilled, clever movement and always supporting. I don't think they'd beat Cork on what I saw of Cork last night, but they have areas they could improve on and I'm sure they will. The ref didn't alter the result, but he was a disgrace. I hope he has to sit and watch an equally inept display some time, just so he knows how it feels. It's hard enough getting any traction in a game like that without someone like him glorying in the limelight. As I said, he didn't beat us, but he was a disgrace.

Don Draper

Quote from: Giovanni on July 19, 2019, 10:00:37 PM
And no one's more temperate than your good self. As a matter of interest, what did you learn from the result?
Don't f**k up short kick outs