Sexual harassment/assault allegations

Started by Eamonnca1, November 10, 2017, 10:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Bit of a tsunami underway now. Women starting to speak up and a lot of high profile people are getting implicated.

Louis CK and Steven "every film I make is a great big self-indulgent w***-fest about how tough I am" Seagal were hitting the headlines this morning.

I see now that Sepp Blatter has been accused by Hope Solo. Every day seems to be a case of "which high profile celebrity is going to be de-throned today"?

AZOffaly

Hope fecking Solo. She'd break your nose.

seafoid

Louis CK's press release was different

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/nov/10/louis-ck-statement-sexual-misconduct-allegations-these-stories-are-true

"These stories are true," he says. "At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn't a question. It's a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me.

"And I wielded that power irresponsibly. I have been remorseful of my actions. And I've tried to learn from them. And run from them. Now I'm aware of the extent of the impact of my actions. I learned yesterday the extent to which I left these women who admired me feeling badly about themselves and cautious around other men who would never have put them in that position."

The comedian, whose stand-up special with Netflix was dropped and new film I Love You Daddy is no longer being promoted, added: "I also took advantage of the fact that I was widely admired in my and their community, which disabled them from sharing their story and brought hardship to them when they tried because people who look up to me didn't want to hear it. I didn't think that I was doing any of that because my position allowed me not to think about it.

"There is nothing about this that I forgive myself for. And I have to reconcile it with who I am. Which is nothing compared to the task I left them with".

The statement continues: "I wish I had reacted to their admiration of me by being a good example to them as a man and given them some guidance as a comedian, including because I admired their work.

"The hardest regret to live with is what you've done to hurt someone else. And I can hardly wrap my head around the scope of hurt I brought on them. I'd be remiss to exclude the hurt that I've brought on people who I work with and have worked with who's professional and personal lives have been impacted by all of this, including projects currently in production: the cast and crew of Better Things, Baskets, The Cops, One Mississippi, and I Love You, Daddy."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/11/10/us/100000005547526.mobile.html

RESPONSE"Each of the women who have come forward used grains of truth to sell false narrative." »

RESPONSE"We are heartbroken and confounded by deliberate and cruel defamations," said his family in a statement. »

RESPONSE Many of his professional interactions with subjects were sexual and explicit in nature but all of the subjects of his work participated consensually," a spokeswoman said. 

RESPONSE For my offenses against some of my colleagues in the past I offer a shaken apology and ask for their forgiveness." »

RESPONSE  I fully recognize that I have tested certain boundaries, which I am working hard to correct." »

RESPONSE"I am very disturbed by these anonymous allegations, which make my heart ache. I take them very seriously." »
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

According to Sean Hannity and his guest the other evening, actual real assaults are"few and far between". This from the man and network who had wall to wall Harvey Weinstein a few weeks back (same week O'Reilly's 30+ million settlement came out). But when control of the US Senate is in play and a GOP candidate on the dock, character assasination of victims is the most important thing to get out there.

stew

Darling of darlings George Takei has now been accused of assaulting a 23 year old many years ago, drugged him no less and groped his willy according to the alleged victim, you gotta love hollywood people!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

nrico2006

As i said before, a lot of people being convicted by the media. It seems an accusation is enough; no evidence required.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Minder

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 11, 2017, 02:13:19 PM
As i said before, a lot of people being convicted by the media. It seems an accusation is enough; no evidence required.

Yep
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

A lot of them have admitted to what is alleged.

And the likes of Weinstein (and, arguably, Moore), how many people does it take before it is taken seriously?

The floodgates have opened, just like they did with the priests. Of course it is possible that some might be unfairly accused. But how are you going to prevent that in this day and age? I guess you can try to intimidate with threatened law suits, like Trump did (although he, strangely for such an accomplished litigant, never followed through).

Trump has faced down allegations. Bill Clinton has. It seems Roy Moore is going to try to.

With others, it appears that whatever people around them on the ground actually knew, they'd little choice but to resign or back down or whatever.

But I don't see much in the way of legal penalties or convictions coming the way of most of these people.

Not sure what the alternative is though to the way it is currently going down. A lot of people have evidently decided they won't be intimidated into maintaining silence any more.

Syferus

Quote from: Minder on November 11, 2017, 03:18:14 PM

Yep

Err, many of these are multiple accusations - very hard to manufacture.

I don't think either you have much underastanding of how difficult it is to bring an allegation of sexual assault against a public figure. In most if not all of these cases it's very obvious what is being claimed did indeed happen - these people have much more to lose than to gain from a false claim. You seriously think there's a big money racket in claiming Harvey Weinstein or Kevin Spacey sexually assaulted you? Cop on ffs.

Believe victims, not your own prejudices.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Syferus on November 11, 2017, 03:48:21 PM

Yep

I don't think either you have much conception of how difficult it is to bring an allegation of sexual assault against a public figure. In most if not all of these cases it's very obvious what is being claimed did indeed happen - these people have much more to lose than to gain from a false claim. You seriously think there's a big money racket in claiming Harvey Weinstein or Kevin Spacey sexually assaulted you? Cop on ffs.

So if 8 posters on here claimed you raped them and put it on Facebook that be true?

I'm not saying these sex allegations aren't by the way
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Syferus

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 11, 2017, 03:51:56 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 11, 2017, 03:48:21 PM

Yep

I don't think either you have much conception of how difficult it is to bring an allegation of sexual assault against a public figure. In most if not all of these cases it's very obvious what is being claimed did indeed happen - these people have much more to lose than to gain from a false claim. You seriously think there's a big money racket in claiming Harvey Weinstein or Kevin Spacey sexually assaulted you? Cop on ffs.

So if 8 posters on here claimed you raped them and put it on Facebook that be true?

I'm not saying these sex allegations aren't by the way

If it was eight people I was known to have met and had little or no ties to each other then, yes, it would be pretty damn clear something happened.

You've created an absurdist straw-man where eight disparate people have colluded to falsely claim sexual assault. Do you not get what a black mark on a woman (let alone a man) it is to come out and go public with such a horrible story? The victim blaming they know they will get from the mob and the vested interests? You are categorically looking at this issue from the wrong position.

Milltown Row2

If you were raped you'd come out and say it and have that person charged? Would you worry about how other people would think

Syferus

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 11, 2017, 04:11:08 PM
If you were raped you'd come out and say it and have that person charged? Would you worry about how other people would think

Do you genuinely think that it's that simple? Man.