Tyrone v Monaghan - Healy Park, Omagh - 16/04/2023 16:00

Started by CK_Redhand, April 12, 2023, 04:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Jim Bob on April 16, 2023, 10:07:38 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 16, 2023, 09:43:15 PM
Just looking back the the Sunday Game that goal was never on how he had the balls to go for it I'll
never know.

Fair play to him!

One of those scores  you'd get once every 10 attempts. In that regard he was lucky.
Wonder what his manager would want him to do if a similar situation arose in to Derry game

What does it tell you about the lack of spantaneity in the modern game the fact that an awful lot of people are focusing more on his decision to go for goal rather than the quality of the actual finish. He struck it perfectly and despite some people criticising Morgan, it was struck with such pace and precision that I don't think he could really do much with it.

Schkite

Just looking back the the Sunday Game that goal was never on how he had the balls to go for it I'll
never know.

Fair play to him!

One of those scores  you'd get once every 10 attempts. In that regard he was lucky.
Wonder what his manager would want him to do if a similar situation arose in to Derry game

Funny enough he scored a very similar goal only a few weeks ago against Mayo
- https://youtu.be/B2rqqBd2s80

Of course the circumstances were very different in that this was early in the game - but for a defender, he doesn't mind taking on a shot

armaghniac

Quote from: yellowcard on April 16, 2023, 10:45:18 PM
never know.

Fair play to him!

What does it tell you about the lack of spantaneity in the modern game the fact that an awful lot of people are focusing more on his decision to go for goal rather than the quality of the actual finish. He struck it perfectly and despite some people criticising Morgan, it was struck with such pace and precision that I don't think he could really do much with it.

In terms of that goal, had it been saved then there was a substantial chance that Morgan would parry it out, either back into the path of O'Toole or else it might go out for a 45, which would likely be a point anyway.But it is easy for me to say that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 16, 2023, 10:41:54 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 16, 2023, 10:30:13 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 16, 2023, 10:25:40 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 16, 2023, 08:20:27 PM.

I don't see them having much of an impact on the AI series either, they could make a quarter final but based on all known form they will probably limp out. Unlike Mayo, the 5 week gap will be of no benefit to them.

Don't see much of a difference between Mayo, Tyrone, both will be talked up as possible contenders especially if hit a run of form in the round robin however are either strong enough in midfield or defensively to win the All-Ireland this year?

I'd have Mayo a lot further up the list than Tyrone at the minute based on the past year and a half's
football.
be very little between the 2 if they played next week imo. Still think Tyrone the more likely of the 2 to beat Kerry.

Tyrone are a few levels below Kerry and Dublin. They got lucky in 2021 and fair play to them, nobody can take that AI off them. But they have done nothing to disprove the belief that they were one of the most mediocre AI champions in a generation.

In the race for Sam it's Kerry, Dublin, Galway and Mayo in that order and then there is a cluster of 4 Ulster teams plus Roscommon a bit below that top level. That's how I see it anyway.

WT4E

I don't see them having much of an impact on the AI series either, they could make a quarter final but based on all known form they will probably limp out. Unlike Mayo, the 5 week gap will be of no benefit to them.

Don't see much of a difference between Mayo, Tyrone, both will be talked up as possible contenders especially if hit a run of form in the round robin however are either strong enough in midfield or defensively to win the All-Ireland this year?

Did u see the tyrone half forward line???

An Watcher

Lucky all ireland champions don't beat 5 division one teams in the shape of cavan, donegal, monaghan, kerry and mayo.  I'd say a lucky all ireland was the year the dubs won in 3020 beating westmeath, laois, meath, cavan and mayo.  Jesus christ.  So Tyrone beat donegal, monaghan and kerry while the dubs beat westmeath, laois and meath.  Such a difference.  Luck my arse

Wildweasel74

BennyHarp

Well done to Monaghan, showed great fighting qualities to get through in a tremendously entertaining game of football. I really hope we meet them again in an All Ireland quarter final in Croke Park.

The bizarre nature of this championship structure is that Tyrone are no better or no worse off now than they were this morning. They will still be in the round robin stages, will win enough games to get out of the group and then the really championship begins. Everything up to that point is pretty meaningless.

I hope the 5 weeks off enable Tyrone to build on the positives today. I was much happier with our attacking play, getting the ball forward much more quickly and we created scores more easily than we have done lately. Clearly there are issues defensively and big gaps which means we are shipping goals but hopefully that can be worked on.
That was never a square ball!!

PMG1

Watched the reply there and the Monaghan 20 took 10 steps with the ball before laying it off for the last goal. Have a look, it's comical that he got away with it

RedHand88

Quote from: yellowcard on April 16, 2023, 10:51:54 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 16, 2023, 10:41:54 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 16, 2023, 10:30:13 PM

I'd have Mayo a lot further up the list than Tyrone at the minute based on the past year and a half's
football.
be very little between the 2 if they played next week imo. Still think Tyrone the more likely of the 2 to beat Kerry.

Tyrone are a few levels below Kerry and Dublin. They got lucky in 2021 and fair play to them, nobody can take that AI off them. But they have done nothing to disprove the belief that they were one of the most mediocre AI champions in a generation.

In the race for Sam it's Kerry, Dublin, Galway and Mayo in that order and then there is a cluster of 4 Ulster teams plus Roscommon a bit below that top level. That's how I see it anyway.

Sorry but that's just rubbish. They had the toughest run of fixtures of any all ireland ever. Prove me wrong.

Edit - and did it with a string of players missing in parts of July and August due to Covid isolation rules.

Gold

The goal was a FLUKE! Poor and insane  shot straight up the middle that flukley went through Morgans legs

Was absolute madness....But class at the same time

Everyone expected a handpassed point for a draw but The Monaghan no 14 was actually standing at the edge of the small square for an easy open net palmed in Ryan McHugh goal....O Toole had the blinkers on though, clearly never played BBall in his life....ask Stephen O Hanlon what he thought of that decision to shoot!

But here thankfully he did, incredible drama

Hope Monaghan kick on now
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

J70

Quote from: Gold on April 17, 2023, 12:25:35 AM
The goal was a FLUKE! Poor and insane  shot straight up the middle that flukley went through Morgans legs

Everyone expected a handpassed point for a draw but The Monaghan no 14 was actually standing at the edge of the small square for an easy open net palmed in Ryan McHugh goal....O Toole had the blinkers on though, clearly never played BBall in his life....ask Stephen O Hanlon what he thought of that decision to shoot!

Both McManus and Corey said he scored the same goal a few weeks back against Mayo.

Not bad for a fluke!

Schkite

Quote from: J70 on April 17, 2023, 12:29:59 AM
Quote from: Gold on April 17, 2023, 12:25:35 AM

Both McManus and Corey said he scored the same goal a few weeks back against Mayo.

Not bad for a fluke!

https://youtu.be/B2rqqBd2s80

Main Street

i didn't see that 2nd half performance coming after the first half. This time I'd have to say Tyrone played the game fair and square, I don't know what happened to them in the 2nd half in particular but just happy enough with Monaghan's approach which was evident from  the 2nd half throw in.
We will need 2 good halves to beat Derry.

seafoid

The new championship structure will favour the big teams like Tyrone. It's closer to a soccer tournament like the old World Cup with a group stage and knockout over a relatively short time period.
Tyrone are not the finished article yet.
But they have time to get up to speed. The goal was top notch.
https://twitter.com/RTEgaa/status/1647614391561383937