Latest Developments In Galway Hurling Saga Show How Bleak The Situation Is

Started by MoChara, November 12, 2015, 01:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoChara

Latest Developments In Galway Hurling Saga Show How Bleak The Situation Is

With Anthony Cunningham effectively prevented from taking his place in the dugout at Fenway Park for the AIG Hurling Classic, it was clear that additional time had done little to cool tensions. The players vs Cunningham row was not about to sort itself out. And that's clear more than ever now that the mediation process has come to an end.

The following statement has been released on Thursday morning after the end of the mediation process.

The Galway County Committee met last evening to discuss the full background of the current impasse between the 2015 Senior Hurling Panel and the Senior Management Team and to hear the outcome of the mediation process.

The mediation process has concluded and the Independent Mediator has determined that despite best efforts there was little, if no, possibility of the Parties reaching common agreement, on the substantive issue.

At this stage all reasonable efforts have been made to resolve the impasse.

The County Committee will meet again on Monday evening next, 16th November, to make a decision on the matter.

All of us appreciate how difficult this situation has been, not least for the our Players, the Management Team and their families. We are hopeful that the matter will be concluded on Monday next so that we can begin to rebuild and look to the Hurling season ahead, with confidence.
The players aren't changing their mind and Cunningham seems to be in no mood to back down. Mediation was unlikely to ever have an effect and now that has proven to be the case. All that's left seems to be for the county board to make a final decision. It seems we'll get that after next Monday's meeting and one way or another, the bitter row is unlikely to be sorted out with everyone duly pleased.

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/latest-developments-in-galway-hurling-saga-show-how-bleak-the-situation-is/315645

theskull1

Is there monies or principles involved in the managerial stance here?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Bord na Mona man

Cunningham can either walk the plank now or drag it out and go down with the sinking ship.

johnneycool

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 12, 2015, 02:56:44 PM
Cunningham can either walk the plank now or drag it out and go down with the sinking ship.

I can't see what Cunningham has to gain by dragging this out, he's on a hiding to nothing. Time to let the players paddle their own canoe, but rest assured if they come up short again next year it'll be someone elses fault, and if they go out and win the AI, then the players will be vindicated!

theskull1

2 possible reasons

The players are doing 'a cork' and he wants to show them up, or there might be severance pay if he holds his ground and is forced out by the county board?

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: johnneycool on November 12, 2015, 03:01:07 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 12, 2015, 02:56:44 PM

I can't see what Cunningham has to gain by dragging this out, he's on a hiding to nothing. Time to let the players paddle their own canoe, but rest assured if they come up short again next year it'll be someone elses fault, and if they go out and win the AI, then the players will be vindicated!
Yeah, Justin McCarthy gained little from sticking it out in Limerick and fielding a rabble.

theskull1

I think you know what I mean by AZ. I'm only wondering.

Plenty of managers like to make good money from the GAA although its not a world I know much about. I know nothing about AC, so its just an innocent query.

deiseach

How has this been difficult for the players? It seems to me in these situations that it's tails they win heads he loses.

Syferus

Quote from: theskull1 on November 12, 2015, 03:28:09 PM
I think you know what I mean by AZ. I'm only wondering.

Plenty of managers like to make good money from the GAA although its not a world I know much about. I know nothing about AC, so its just an innocent query.

Cunningham isn't in this for money. Would be demand in many counties in both codes and he'd have far less headaches from petulant players. He is about the most passionate man about Galway hurling that you'll find.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: deiseach on November 13, 2015, 09:08:23 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 12, 2015, 07:38:59 PM
Wouldn't happen in Kilkenny

Of course it would.
Take out the freak Cody factor and Kilkenny was as toxic as any other county back in the day.
The difference being that the hurling folk there never left it ambiguous when a manager's time was up.

deiseach

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 13, 2015, 11:19:14 AM
Take out the freak Cody factor and Kilkenny was as toxic as any other county back in the day.
The difference being that the hurling folk there never left it ambiguous when a manager's time was up.

Just ask Nickey Brennan. And Canice, for good measure.