Rory MacIlroy - Member of the order of the British Empire.

Started by Trout, December 31, 2011, 12:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

All of a Sludden

Nordies complaining that a fellow nordie got an award from their Queen.  ::)
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

Nally Stand

Quote from: All of a Sludden on January 03, 2012, 04:55:12 PM
Nordies complaining that a fellow nordie got an award from their Queen.  ::)

Haben Sie schon einmal gewonnen einem dieser?

Bundesverdienstkreuz
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

MW

Quote from: Orior on January 01, 2012, 05:26:55 PM
What exactly did Rory do to deserve an MBE?

Why is his efforts more deserving than Darren?

Who's saying that they are? Clarke has been awarded the more senior OBE.

Anyway, if Rory wants to bend the knee to Mrs Windsor and lick her arse then fair play to him. However there is no law against the rest of us giving our opinion.

Yet you appear not to the have the courage of your own convicitions enough to explain this opinion - specifically, what did you mean by McIlroy "selling his soul"?

(Who's this "Mrs Windsor", by the way?)

MW

Quote from: Orior on January 02, 2012, 12:52:13 PM
Being different is good, spice of life and all that. But shared future me arse. Do I have to have the same desires and aspirations as Peter Protestant, Gregory O'Campbell, Liam (Willie) Frazer and Seamus (Jim) Alistar? I'd rather not if you please. The past few years have proved that we can live together, but retain our different aspirations for the future.

There are those that have decided that being british way is best. Fair play to them.

Yet you pronounce that McIlroy has "sold his soul" - clearly you have some idea of what you think his true "soul" should be, and this outlook doesn't appear to chime with the idea of "being different is good", nor of "living together but retaining our different aspirations for the future".

Orior

Quote from: MW on January 04, 2012, 12:04:00 AM
Quote from: Orior on January 02, 2012, 12:52:13 PM
Being different is good, spice of life and all that. But shared future me arse. Do I have to have the same desires and aspirations as Peter Protestant, Gregory O'Campbell, Liam (Willie) Frazer and Seamus (Jim) Alistar? I'd rather not if you please. The past few years have proved that we can live together, but retain our different aspirations for the future.

There are those that have decided that being british way is best. Fair play to them.

Yet you pronounce that McIlroy has "sold his soul" - clearly you have some idea of what you think his true "soul" should be, and this outlook doesn't appear to chime with the idea of "being different is good", nor of "living together but retaining our different aspirations for the future".

Well fair enough then I'll retract that remark about selling his soul. 
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on January 04, 2012, 12:32:23 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declining_a_British_honour

Nigella Lawson - even more of a Goddess.
Famous anti-Establishment figure Nigella Lawson!  :D

Or to give her full title The Honourable Nigella Lawson, daughter of Margaret Thatcher's Chancellor of the Exchequer.

Rav67

I've yet to hear anyone criticise AP McCoy or Martin O'Neill for accepting their titles

HiMucker

Quote from: Rav67 on January 04, 2012, 02:18:35 AM
I've yet to hear anyone criticise AP McCoy or Martin O'Neill for accepting their titles
Thought he had one.  Looking forward to people sharing their views on this one

thewobbler

Do we really need this thread?

There are some numbnuts on this board, there really are.

LeoMc

Applesisapples

Quote from: Take Your Points on January 01, 2012, 02:58:14 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 01, 2012, 01:15:03 PM
I agree. MacIlroy didn't sell this soul in this occassion, that happened some time ago.

In the world that Rory inhabits, this award is no sell out it is considered to be a highlight of his career. 

In our "shared future" it is a test for others to accept that this s a reality for Rory and no attempt to insult others.  The acceptance of diversity is the first test for us all and acceptance of the equality of existence of diverse views, ideas and beliefs is the second test.  Pass both and we are on our way to a shared future.
Problem is 90% at least don't want a shared future. McIlroy like Mr Armstrong has employed an Uncle Tom approach to get on in his chosen career, why I don't know, but the Business World is full of such people although most of them are of a generation where it was the only way to get on. To my mind this shared future only seems to mean accepting a British Demention. Therefore when something as outrageous as an Irish Christmas Greeting is placed on Belfast City Hall we see really what a shared future is all about. Until there really is parity of aspiration/nationality/esteem etc people like McIlroy will always be seen as sellouts. The thing is he is a talent and he could have genuinely made a difference to mutual acceptance by being a little less obvious.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Rav67 on January 04, 2012, 02:18:35 AM
McCoy mentions O'Neill as one of the reasons why he accepted his in his recent autobiography, he said it was something to think about before accepting but looked at people like O'Neill who accepted in the past and thought what the hell.
Bit of a nothing story IMO these days.

AQMP

Never thought I'd agree with Michael Winner:

"An OBE is what you get if you clean the toilets well at King's Cross station."