The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

The Gooch is getting better but gave a Kerryman answer to the mood in the camp question.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

dublin7

I thought Michael Duignan was spot on when he hammered the GAA for selling the rights to sky. All games should be on free to air tv (doesn't have to be rte) and how much money do the GAA want/need to accept the deal from sky

highorlow

Harrison was getting choked and it's clear he didn't mean to do what he did. The boxer sexton had a hold of him.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

saffronandblue

They must be going mental over and reservoirdubs😂😂😂😂😂 It's fantastic that we get under their skin so much.....everyone should have a look at it every so often for to cheer themselves up👍

BennyHarp

Quote from: dublin7 on July 09, 2017, 11:36:28 PM
I thought Michael Duignan was spot on when he hammered the GAA for selling the rights to sky. All games should be on free to air tv (doesn't have to be rte) and how much money do the GAA want/need to accept the deal from sky

All games? Including those that aren't currently broadcast? How did these oul fellas survive when only a few games were ever shown. It's sentimental clap trap. The GAA enjoys a hefty payday from selling off a small number (of mainly low priority games it seems that gets exclusivity) and should milk it because most likely, Sky's interest won't last forever.
That was never a square ball!!

dublin7

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 09, 2017, 11:44:24 PM

All games? Including those that aren't currently broadcast? How did these oul fellas survive when only a few games were ever shown. It's sentimental clap trap. The GAA enjoys a hefty payday from selling off a small number (of mainly low priority games it seems that gets exclusivity) and should milk it because most likely, Sky's interest won't last forever.

My father is from wexford and doesn't have sky sports. He can't go to the pub so how can he watch wexford play kilkenny? GAA don't need th cash from sky. Might mean dubs get less cash from HQ but I'd that not a good thing considering how many posts appear on this mb complaining about it

Jinxy

They don't though, in relative terms at least.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Jinxy on July 09, 2017, 11:57:32 PM

They don't though, in relative terms at least.

More than TV3 or TG4?

Jinxy

Not much better than the TV3 deal.
At least, that was my understanding at the time.
We already have GAAGo for those watching overseas, why do we need SKY?

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

duignams rant about the sky sports live gaa games was sentimentalist playing to the gallery.

about 15 years ago there were no more than 16 fulltime gaa workers on the payroll....about 10 in Croke Park, and leinster council(Michael Delaney) and Munster Council (Donie Nealon) and full time secretaries in Dublin and Cork(dearest Frank).

Now virtually every individual county has at least on administrator on the payroll, some up to 3, all on 50k plus packages when you include pension, and then add in all the full time coaches in each county, and the full time pay roll in Croke Park is near the 50 mark.

If you increase from 16 to 200 or more full time staff, the culminate wage bill rockets and every avenue of revenue must be milked.
That is why the GAA does need the funds from Sky and the concerts etc.........and given that most if not all of these salaried officials make up a large percentage of those attending congress, there is not a chance in hell of them biting the hands that feed them.

I do have sympathy for the older folk who don't have subscription tv, however an overload of live matches simply breed armchair "fans", when the truth is that nothing beats being present at a game in person.  Lots of sports in the country are starting to suffer because despite the fact that sports have many followers, the followers are of the armchair variety as distinct from gate paying variety.

Duignam might be better off having a cut at RTE for their laughable 90 second package coverage each weekend of the non live shoulder games.

criostlinn

How about Michael Duignan and all the other cheap skates fork out a few pound to cover the cost of Sky sports for 3 months to let their auld fellas watch these games over the summer.

Jinxy

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on July 10, 2017, 12:03:44 AM
duignams rant about the sky sports live gaa games was sentimentalist playing to the gallery.

about 15 years ago there were no more than 16 fulltime gaa workers on the payroll....about 10 in Croke Park, and leinster council(Michael Delaney) and Munster Council (Donie Nealon) and full time secretaries in Dublin and Cork(dearest Frank).

Now virtually every individual county has at least on administrator on the payroll, some up to 3, all on 50k plus packages when you include pension, and then add in all the full time coaches in each county, and the full time pay roll in Croke Park is near the 50 mark.

If you increase from 16 to 200 or more full time staff, the culminate wage bill rockets and every avenue of revenue must be milked.
That is why the GAA does need the funds from Sky and the concerts etc.........and given that most if not all of these salaried officials make up a large percentage of those attending congress, there is not a chance in hell of them biting the hands that feed them.

I do have sympathy for the older folk who don't have subscription tv, however an overload of live matches simply breed armchair "fans", when the truth is that nothing beats being present at a game in person.  Lots of sports in the country are starting to suffer because despite the fact that sports have many followers, the followers are of the armchair variety as distinct from gate paying variety.

Duignam might be better off having a cut at RTE for their laughable 90 second package coverage each weekend of the non live shoulder games.

That would only be a valid defence of the SKY deal if they were paying significantly more for the rights than TV3.
Which, and I'm open to correction here, they are not.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Jinxy on July 10, 2017, 12:03:32 AM
Not much better than the TV3 deal.
At least, that was my understanding at the time.
We already have GAAGo for those watching overseas, why do we need SKY?

Where TV3 prepared to pay €55m over 5 years? (I don't know, it's an genuine question but I'd be surprised if they were in a position to afford that.)

https://amp.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/fans-set-for-five-more-years-of-sky-with-gaa-on-the-brink-of-55m-rights-deal-35162069.html

armaghniac

Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on July 10, 2017, 12:03:44 AM

There were large numbers at games attending this weekend, some of the grounds could not have held more.

The GAA, if not so focused on getting in money to pay for more administrators, might give some weight to the provision of magazine programs and the like when deciding which broadcaster to use. TV3 (and RTÉ) have multiple channels nowadays, they could have extended hurling highlights on Tuesday and extended football highlights on Wednesday and a preview programme on Thursday.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

I am no fan of Sky.....but in the Sky v TV3 debate it is a no brainer at the same level of remuneration..........Sky opens up the UK market and a wider world of potential advertising revenue(for a variety of sellers of the GAA product) as compared to TV3 which has the same domestic limitations as RTE.