UK v Russia

Started by bennydorano, March 17, 2018, 01:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

What do people think of this? The UK seemed to have reached conclusions long before anything has been proven. Woe betide anybody who doesn't weigh in behind the jingoistic Government line. The rapidity & rashness  of the response is worrying imo. Boris and the Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson 2 utter clowns as per normal.

Syferus

Quote from: bennydorano on March 17, 2018, 01:20:21 PM
What do people think of this? The UK seemed to have reached conclusions long before anything has been proven. Woe betide anybody who doesn't weigh in behind the jingoistic Government line. The rapidity & rashness  of the response is worrying imo. Boris and the Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson 2 utter clowns as per normal.

You're off your tits if you think it wasn't Putin. Even the Russian scientist who help develop the nerve agents thinks it's absurd a non-State actor could have carried out the attempted assassination - it's incredibly hard to weaponise this stuff.

The thread should read the West v. Russia and the OP should not contain the nonsense of yet more Brit bashing. Not the topic to be trying those tired old tricks on.

Putin has some serious contempt for democracy and the West to be so brazen in assassinating another country's citizen again. Russia are a shïtshow.

bennydorano

Measured, non emotional response as expected. You're jumping to more conclusions there than the UK so you're good bedfellows.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: bennydorano on March 17, 2018, 02:17:29 PM
Measured, non emotional response as expected. You're jumping to more conclusions there than the UK so you're good bedfellows.

You expect anything different?

Syferus

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 17, 2018, 02:18:18 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 17, 2018, 02:17:29 PM

You expect anything different?

Do you think Russia aren't behind it? Because that's utterly incredible.

bennydorano

I was waiting for someone to come along and say this is bullshit, but apparently not. Trivial enough in the grand scheme but wtf

https://twitter.com/JohnClarke1960/status/974766676213420033?s=19

BennyCake

If they reported Putin strangles kittens while watching Countdown people would believe it. Don't underestimate the ability of Britain in their use of propaganda. They've been at it for centuries.

Rossfan

Takes the Brits minds off the Brexit fiasco and rallies them all behind the "war effort".
When do they start bombing Moscow??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Maybe England really wants this World Cup?

Syferus

Quote from: bennydorano on March 17, 2018, 02:34:51 PM
I was waiting for someone to come along and say this is bullshit, but apparently not. Trivial enough in the grand scheme but wtf

https://twitter.com/JohnClarke1960/status/974766676213420033?s=19

Err, they do a lot of fanciful splashes for news stories. Unless you think the red Kremlin background is a legit photo fixating on 'photoshopping' a hat is high on the absurdity scale. It's not photoshopping to make you think it's a real photo when it's obviously a graphic design.

You'd have liked Corbyn's opinion piece in the Guardian where he said they shouldn't rush to judgement about the source of the nerve agent assassination. It doesn't help his image as 'Red Jeremy' to say the least. The evidence was there before he even put pen to paper so it will have went down like a lead balloon with voters.

Russia have been waging a proxy war with the West for a long time now and if you want to put your head in the sand be my guest, but don't expect people not to pull you up on it and the biases that made you make this as an anti-UK thread rather than one commenting on Russia's abhorant behaviour.

bennydorano

Funny enough if you follow UK politics on this board you'd know I'm not in anyway a fan of Corbyn, so barking up the wrong tree again.

Also, if you read my opening post you'd realise I haven't in anyway said Russia are innocent, it's the UK Government's actions / reactions that I'm questioning. It's like a PR war being hastily waged by a flailing & failing Government and dissenting voices are being demonised.

Rossfan

Quote from: bennydorano on March 17, 2018, 03:01:30 PM
t, it's the UK Government's actions / reactions that I'm questioning. It's like a PR war being hastily waged by a flailing & failing Government and dissenting voices are being demonised.

Exactly.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: bennydorano on March 17, 2018, 03:01:30 PM
Funny enough if you follow UK politics on this board you'd know I'm not in anyway a fan of Corbyn, so barking up the wrong tree again.

Also, if you read my opening post you'd realise I haven't in anyway said Russia are innocent, it's the UK Government's actions / reactions that I'm questioning. It's like a PR war being hastily waged by a flailing & failing Government and dissenting voices are being demonised.

I think Corbyn is a better alternative to May and the Tories which is why I think it's even sadder that he played into the worst perceptions about himself. What he did was more damaging than saying nothing at all.

Russia have been engaging in a proxy war with the West for years - ffs, they helped that cowboy in America get elected and have been implicated in many hacks of governmental organisations and large corperations. Forget about PR wars - the West have let Russia get away with being a bad actor for too long because we don't want the hassle of a trade or energy war.

There should be no dissent on the fact that Russia is behind the attack - everything points towards that. But that won't stop people using their biases and to justify ignoring the evidence because they don't like the injured party. This is bigger than the Tories v the Left or even the UK v Russia. It's western values versus Russian lies and violence.

Itchy

Quote from: Syferus on March 17, 2018, 01:55:37 PM

You're off your tits if you think it wasn't Putin. Even the Russian scientist who help develop the nerve agents thinks it's absurd a non-State actor could have carried out the attempted assassination - it's incredibly hard to weaponise this stuff.

The thread should read the West v. Russia and the OP should not contain the nonsense of yet more Brit bashing. Not the topic to be trying those tired old tricks on.

Putin has some serious contempt for democracy and the West to be so brazen in assassinating another country's citizen again. Russia are a shïtshow.

You don't believe the Brits and others are capable of dirty tricks? The guys who sent the SAS into Ireland and said they didnt. The guys who helped murder many irish people in Dublin and Monaghan bombings. The people who discovered weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and used this evidence to start a war resulting in countless deaths - Disgusting spooks. You'd just believe anything  they release to the press?

Personally I dont know what to believe but I have to say I find it a bit odd. If i were Russian head of KGB and I wanted this double agent dead would Id have him shot, stabbed, kidnapped and buried in concrete? I would not poison him with a bizarrre & rare nerve agent that was developed and used only in Russia so I could make sure that my country would be suspected when the murder happened. Perhaps the KGB are really really stupid? Who knows the truth but I wouldnt  believe anything British "intelligence" feeds to the dumb press and the even dumber general public.

Syferus

Quote from: Itchy on March 17, 2018, 03:49:34 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 17, 2018, 01:55:37 PM

You don't believe the Brits and others are capable of dirty tricks? The guys who sent the SAS into Ireland and said they didnt. The guys who helped murder many irish people in Dublin and Monaghan bombings. The people who discovered weapons of mass destruction in Iraq and used this evidence to start a war resulting in countless deaths - Disgusting spooks. You'd just believe anything  they release to the press?

Personally I dont know what to believe but I have to say I find it a bit odd. If i were Russian head of KGB and I wanted this double agent dead would Id have him shot, stabbed, kidnapped and buried in concrete? I would not poison him with a bizarrre & rare nerve agent that was developed and used only in Russia so I could make sure that my country would be suspected when the murder happened. Perhaps the KGB are really really stupid? Who knows the truth but I wouldnt  believe anything British "intelligence" feeds to the dumb press and the even dumber general public.

I beleive the Brits are very capable of dirty tricks. This isn't really about the dirt under their fingernails, though. It's that Russia are on another level with this James Bonds-esque spycraft.

Be it Syria, Trump, Europe or the Ukraine they've had their hand in so much dirt recently that it's reached a point where they have no benefit of the doubt, not that there really is much doubt on this one. The sheer arrogance that they would make this attempted asssisnation with something so easily traceable back to them shows how little fûcks they have about democratic norms or even avoiding annoying their trade partners or forcing them to take action. Who else gained anything from assassinating a defected Russian spy but Putin's Russia? And who else even has the weaponised version of this nerve agent?