Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: TabClear on April 10, 2020, 03:55:59 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on April 06, 2020, 04:06:13 PM
anyone recommend a bluetooth MP3 player that you can use when running?
Don't want to bust the bank on an ipod touch as i feckin hate apple and all their tie ins.

On a similar note I am looking for a decent set of wireless headphones for running. I have bought a couple of cheap pairs that have worked well for a while but then just gave up for no reason so looking to get a pair that,s a bit more long lasting if anyone can recommend.  I usually just pair with the Iphone so just needs to be bluetooth

Depends on budget too but I use these for gym and running - jabra elite active 75t.

For some reason I struggle to get earbuds that fit well but these are great. Also have a set of these https://www.sony.ie/electronics/truly-wireless/wf-1000xm3, but even though they are class I wouldn't recommend for running or activities where you be sweating lots.

laoislad

Don't want to bust the bank on an ipod touch as i feckin hate apple and all their tie ins.

On a similar note I am looking for a decent set of wireless headphones for running. I have bought a couple of cheap pairs that have worked well for a while but then just gave up for no reason so looking to get a pair that,s a bit more long lasting if anyone can recommend.  I usually just pair with the Iphone so just needs to be bluetooth
I use these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DHMS6C3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Not completely wire free, but are bluetooth.
I couldn't use those little wire free buds at all.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

TabClear

Quote from: laoislad on April 10, 2020, 05:07:14 PM

I use these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DHMS6C3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Not completely wire free, but are bluetooth.
I couldn't use those little wire free buds at all.

Cheers LL, those are the kind of ones I am after. I tend to find when running that one keeps popping out occasionally so I would nt want the buds.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sportacus

5k brisk walk every day, or 5k run twice per week.  Which is better?  Any thoughts.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Sportacus on April 29, 2020, 01:26:39 PM
5k brisk walk every day, or 5k run twice per week.  Which is better?  Any thoughts.

On average since lockdown I've been doing on average 15 per day. So over 340 miles since I stopped working, mainly walking the dogs. So to answer that I'd say keeping fit I'd rather run 3 days a week than walk everyday as I would noticed a difference in my fitness over walking than running
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

dec

Whichever one you are more likely to keep doing.

Sportacus

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 29, 2020, 02:02:48 PM

On average since lockdown I've been doing on average 15 per day. So over 340 miles since I stopped working, mainly walking the dogs. So to answer that I'd say keeping fit I'd rather run 3 days a week than walk everyday as I would noticed a difference in my fitness over walking than running
We're walking 5k every day and my calves are in knots!  I think I'd feel fitter if I ran it 2 or 3 times a week, but then getting out for a walk every evening is good for the head as well.  I suppose it's all a trade off.

Sportacus

I could but that's a lot of wear and tear, I'm not as young as some of you bucks.

lurganblue

Like loads of others I suppose, I have been doing a bit of running over the past month.  Couple of 5k each week.  I was really starting to enjoy it and def starting to feel the fitness improve.  2 miles into my last run I felt a pain in my calf and had to stop.  I was able to slowly jog home.  It has eased up a good bit in the subsequent two days but I can still feel it.  Having googled it a little and going by location of pain I would assume it is actually the upper Achilles that is causing the problem.

Any tips on recovery for this?  Stretches, foam roller?  Should I concentrate on building calf strength before trying running again?

Milltown Row2

Foam roller right on the pain spot! Rest! Should it persist get a professional to look at it, Xmas should be next appointment lol

Lots of people out running I've never seen normally round my way, I'd say you'll not be on your own in relation to injuries, if it's not your normal then the body will react differently imagine to extra work load! Or if the trainers are just for show rather than for running I won't help. Seen a big lad running in a pair of converse! No support at all

imtommygunn

Calf problem is not necessarily a calf problem if that makes sense. If you are tight in the glutes or hamstrings you will use your calves more than you should be and they might not be up to it. Stretch out glutes / hamstrings / hip flexors and that should help a bit anyway. A good calf stretch is the heel drop off stairs.

screenexile

Quote from: lurganblue on April 30, 2020, 10:14:53 AM
Like loads of others I suppose, I have been doing a bit of running over the past month.  Couple of 5k each week.  I was really starting to enjoy it and def starting to feel the fitness improve.  2 miles into my last run I felt a pain in my calf and had to stop.  I was able to slowly jog home.  It has eased up a good bit in the subsequent two days but I can still feel it.  Having googled it a little and going by location of pain I would assume it is actually the upper Achilles that is causing the problem.

Any tips on recovery for this?  Stretches, foam roller?  Should I concentrate on building calf strength before trying running again?

Had the same type of problem 2 weeks ago after 1k I just felt it kind of pop a bit. Stopped straight away and haven't done any running since but it feels fine now so will probably try something this weekend. Felt like more of a calf strain to me but again I would have no idea what the difference is.

Rest seems to have done the trick need to do more stretching before I run!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on April 30, 2020, 02:27:06 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on April 30, 2020, 10:14:53 AM

Had the same type of problem 2 weeks ago after 1k I just felt it kind of pop a bit. Stopped straight away and haven't done any running since but it feels fine now so will probably try something this weekend. Felt like more of a calf strain to me but again I would have no idea what the difference is.

Rest seems to have done the trick need to do more stretching before I run!!

Stretching after I think is much better, start off slow that be your warm up then get into your stride! Good stretch afters

lurganblue

Thanks folks.  Running wouldn't be completely alien to me, it's just been a while.  But yes, flexibility in general is an issue.  I will get working on that over the next week.  A bit of foam rolling and some heel drops off the stairs once the pain eases a little more.