Allianz Hurling League 2020

Started by Mossy Bruce, November 26, 2019, 10:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

on the hop

If Wexford had converted half their chances they would have put up
A huge score on us. It's going to tough with the current panel but we really need a lot of our senior players like paddy Purcell and Ryan to play better than they did tonight.

Ogie

@GAA I'll have some of them happy pills your havin, & a pair of those rose tinted glasses too!!
Best goal in in o Moore Park?? It wasn't even the best goal tonight !!

We should have been bet by over 20 points tonight if it wasn't for Wexford's misses, they had over 50 shots at target!! And a lot of those you mentioned were very poor, except for roddy who was excellent, carried the load alone up front, we are still way off this level in fitness & hurling, is the hunger there for this level? Cha will be a huge loss for the year, picky also, or must be so so frustrating for Brennan as it is for the rest of us to continuously not have our best available.

Foyle is injured, he is still part of panel.
Senior, Ryan, Bergin x 2, comerford looked way off this level tonight, podge Delaney poor at centre back, midfield non existent, Willie dunphy, paddy Purcell poor,
Tough year ahead again, hopefully a few more regulars back in the team as injuries clear up, fitness & hurling stays rising
Thought hartnett hurled them sweeper role poorly,
Carlow is our big target to avoid relegation in the league.

burdizzo

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on January 25, 2020, 11:43:06 PM

So can someone tell more about the circumstances of Enda Rowland's goal?

He played a short puck-out to Mullaney, who passed back to him, and he walloped it up the field from about the 21 yard line. He was obviously going for a point, but it dropped short. I suppose the Wexford goalie wasn't expecting it to go as far, and because it was so high, he may have got caught by the glare of those lights. Or maybe he had too long to think about it. Or perhaps he was aware Ross was ready to pounce on any slip. In any case, he dropped it and it trickled over the line! My young lad and his friend were hoarse from laughing at it!

Giovanni

Quote from: Ogie on January 26, 2020, 12:52:29 AM
@GAA I'll have some of them happy pills your havin, & a pair of those rose tinted glasses too!!

We should have been bet by over 20 points tonight if it wasn't for Wexford's misses, they had over 50 shots at target!! And a lot of those you mentioned were very poor, except for roddy who was excellent, carried the load alone up front, we are still way off this level in fitness & hurling, is the hunger there for this level? Cha will be a huge loss for the year, picky also, or must be so so frustrating for Brennan as it is for the rest of us to continuously not have our best available.

Senior, Ryan, Bergin x 2, comerford looked way off this level tonight, podge Delaney poor at centre back, midfield non existent, Willie dunphy, paddy Purcell poor,
Tough year ahead again, hopefully a few more regulars back in the team as injuries clear up, fitness & hurling stays rising

Pulling no punches there, are you??!

It could also be argued that we had two decent goal chances that on another day would have gone in and two scoreable frees. The score line is the score line and ifs and maybes are irrelevant. The fact is that there wasn't really a whole lot in it until the last 15 or 20 minutes when the difference in fitness really told.

I forgot to mention Eoin Gaughan yesterday who did very well when he came on.

High Fielder

We seem to be hit with defections on a scale far greater than most counties. That applies across both codes. My personal feeling is that Laois lads probably have bigger problems getting work in Laois, and have to commute a lot further than most. That's just a hunch, and I have no data or evidence to back that up. Whatever is going on, the CB need to investigate why we are being stung so badly, because all the high profile managers in the world won't disguise or make up for the fact that we are struggling to keep lads interested.

clonadmad

Quote from: High Fielder on January 26, 2020, 10:02:10 AM
We seem to be hit with defections on a scale far greater than most counties. That applies across both codes. My personal feeling is that Laois lads probably have bigger problems getting work in Laois, and have to commute a lot further than most. That's just a hunch, and I have no data or evidence to back that up. Whatever is going on, the CB need to investigate why we are being stung so badly, because all the high profile managers in the world won't disguise or make up for the fact that we are struggling to keep lads interested.

Be interested to see where all these defectors and refuseniks work for starters and did they actually refuse to come in on work related grounds?

If it's in Dublin or cork or limerick or anywhere in between they have weak enough grounds to be refusing considering how close we are in comparison to others with the motorway system passing through Laois

I said it before and will say it again,you could add up the lads that can't or won't commit in all the other league 1A and B hurling counties and it won't surpass the Laois total.

And this is after the year we had last year and the best set up we've ever had in place.

I hope I'm wrong but we will be lucky if we win one game this year (league game v Carlow)

High Fielder

I think a commute to Dublin 5 days a week would be tough enough going. It's something we need to look at, whatever the reasoning is. There seems to be this revolving door policy with regards to commitment, and we cannot build anything with that sort of mentality. Some of the lads walking away are not replaceable.

welcomehome

I think its a shame that players wont commit...Hopefully they will regret it,i thought after last year more would commit.Its just typical in laoise you get a great setup,and this happens,shame on them players...

G@@

Quote from: Ogie on January 26, 2020, 12:52:29 AM

I suppose we were very lucky Dublin hit those wides last year in OMP and that Tipp decided to take it easy on us in the AIQF. God forbid that Laois were actually able to hurl a decent game. Eddie Brennan out now.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Ogie

Not a bit, but let's be realistic too & factual
We need our best 15 on the field all the time, especially at this level, missing 8 of last years team we don't have the strength in dept
Mentally & physically these games are coming too early for us, but of course it is a big learning curve.

G@@

Quote from: Ogie on January 26, 2020, 01:27:46 PM
Not a bit, but let's be realistic too & factual
We need our best 15 on the field all the time, especially at this level, missing 8 of last years team we don't have the strength in dept
Mentally & physically these games are coming too early for us, but of course it is a big learning curve.

Of course we do, but the fifteen that were there last night tried hard and probably punched a little above their weight in some quarters. I think Cha would have had an immense game last night if he were there.

Then again, if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle and all that.

The squad that is there now is doing really well and look like they're on the right path.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: burdizzo on January 26, 2020, 09:13:17 AM
Quote from: Mossy Bruce on January 25, 2020, 11:43:06 PM

So can someone tell more about the circumstances of Enda Rowland's goal?

He played a short puck-out to Mullaney, who passed back to him, and he walloped it up the field from about the 21 yard line. He was obviously going for a point, but it dropped short. I suppose the Wexford goalie wasn't expecting it to go as far, and because it was so high, he may have got caught by the glare of those lights. Or maybe he had too long to think about it. Or perhaps he was aware Ross was ready to pounce on any slip. In any case, he dropped it and it trickled over the line! My young lad and his friend were hoarse from laughing at it!
Thanks, Burdizzo!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

blueandwhite1

Quote from: G@@ on January 25, 2020, 10:11:41 PM
Laois 2-16 v 2-27 Wexford.

First of all, that scoreline doesn't do us justice, but such is the game of hurling that a scoreline can be cruel none-the-less.

Laois were fantastic in the first half in particular and gave Wexford plenty of hurling and were unlucky not to be going in 2pts up instead of 2pts down. We seemed to lack another player or two who are confident enough to take a long range pop at a point, particularly when we have a breeze on our back. Wexford showed this in the last fifteen minutes by reeling off several long range points, though the breeze was gaining more momentum towards the full time whistle as the drizzle sprayed across the field.

Wexford's fitness and conditioning certainly showed in it's superiority over Laois from around 55mins onwards. Laois lads were getting weary and seemed energy sapped at that stage. However, compared to this time last year I think Laois look a bit better in this department. The game was played at near-championship pace and both teams served us up a good battling game despite the heavy underfoot conditions.

For Laois, Enda Roland's 1-01 was a joy to watch as was Willie Dunphy's goal. Who was it that robbed and lobbed the Wexford player before laying it off for Dunphy to score? Excellent skill! Dunphy had to pull a bit of magic too to finish it off. One of the nicest goals Laois have scored in OMP!

I felt Senior in the No.2 shirt was very good and he certainly is a prospect for the future. Delaney in the No.6 shirt did well for his debut there (don't recall him at No.6 in recent games). Paddy Purcell was very good and is an old reliable at this stage. Roddy was class in the first half, pity about his missed frees in the second half and he seemed quieter (but not totally quiet either).

Overall not a bad night at the races and I'd say Brennan is happy with the performance overall. Good crowd there tonight.

No offence G@@ but you sound like a propaganda minister for the county board. I thought Laois were very very poor and we should have been beaten by 20+ points. We were charmed. We should have been 10 points down at half time. Amazing that with all the possession and running Wexford had that they didn't have a heap of goals and have us out of sight. They were hurling at 100 miles an hour and we were just chasing shadows. The worse thing that could happen is for Laois to believe that we were good enough at any point in that match, we were a distant second best.

My thoughts - first the negative and then the hopeful.

- Our hurling skills are miles off. None of our forwards can catch a ball unless they are completely unmarked. Our touch is woeful with the odd exception. We really miss the likes of Cha, Aaron Dunphy, John Lennon, Mark Kavanagh. At least 3 of the 4 will be back. Ross King was the only forward we had on Saturday night. Both our goals were highly fortuitous although the first was well finished.
- Our decision making with the ball in the hand is brutal. We are too easily turned over and our passing from the half back line into the forwards was just amateurish. Why pass it into space when you can pass it to a man with two Wexford lads stuck to him.
- I won't name names as it isn't fair but there are a good few lads who are not at inter county standard and are unlikely to be.
- We are tiny. I don't just mean physical conditioning but we don't have enough height. Wexford were monsters in comparison. If we even had one tall strong player that can catch a high ball in traffic it would make a huge difference. Wexford had about 8 of these players, we have none. And they were missing Lee Chin.

The hopeful.

- Some of our established players did well enough. Ross King was back to his very best. Jack Kelly won plenty of ball. Ryan Mullaney was influential. Enda Rowland is a brilliant keeper in every way possible. Podge Delaney has what it takes. Paddy Purcell showed glimpses but was poor on the night. They won't be able to carry this team though. We really need more players available just to stop annihilations.
- Liam Senior and James Keyes looked the part. Very young lads with very high skill levels and the temperament to match. Fiachra C Fennell had positive moments too and looks like he has something to add when he gains experience.

redsetanta

Laois looked jaded towards the end and they became very loose and sloppy. Wexford conditioning much better but they've been going longer with Fitz as opposed to Eddie in his second year.

Wexford are Leinster champs and were a puck of a ball from the AI final so lets be honest here.

Laois went toe to toe with them in the first half but as Brennan said himself they gassed out in the second half.

Big test for Laois against the Dubs next week. Dublin struggled against KK but they will be a huge test for Laois.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Quote from: redsetanta on January 27, 2020, 10:41:11 AM
Laois went toe to toe with them in the first half but as Brennan said himself they gassed out in the second half.

This did not happen. The media said this but it is about as far from true as possible. Somehow we were ahead on the scoreboard with a few minutes from half time but were in no way at the races.