Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MayoBuck

Quote from: johnnycool on July 14, 2020, 10:19:13 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 02, 2020, 09:03:44 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 01, 2020, 08:43:37 PM
The problem Utd still have is winning games at one nil! They still give away too many cheap goals, while they have put in some decent performances they've drawn some games where they should have been outta sight

even as crap as Brighton were the other night, that Utd team coughed up some decent chances for Brighton the better teams put away.

There's still a bit of work in progress with this team.

United are most definitely a counterattacking team now and they're pretty good at it, but the amount of possession afforded to Southampton at Old Trafford was unreal. better teams than them will make many more chances and punish that defence accordingly.

Still a good bit away from challenging for the title IMO.

Two centre back required for a start.

They're more than just a counter attacking side now with a midfield of Matic, Pogba and Fernandes. For whatever reason, a lot of players just underperformed yesterday. Martial and Rashford the only bright spots really.

Denn Forever

At least they waited for Fergie time to draw.  Tough luck on Man U but Southampton  played well enough for the draw.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: johnnycool on July 14, 2020, 10:19:13 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 02, 2020, 09:03:44 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 01, 2020, 08:43:37 PM
The problem Utd still have is winning games at one nil! They still give away too many cheap goals, while they have put in some decent performances they've drawn some games where they should have been outta sight

even as crap as Brighton were the other night, that Utd team coughed up some decent chances for Brighton the better teams put away.

There's still a bit of work in progress with this team.

United are most definitely a counterattacking team now and they're pretty good at it, but the amount of possession afforded to Southampton at Old Trafford was unreal. better teams than them will make many more chances and punish that defence accordingly.

Still a good bit away from challenging for the title IMO.

Two centre back required for a start.

Agree that they are a good bit away from a title challenge, but i dont think they need two centre backs. 1 top class one with a bit of pace would make a world of difference.
Lindeloff,Bailly, Maguire all good enough to be a partner for a top CB, but a pairing of any of those 3 together isnt good enough.
Shaw isnt good enough to be a regular first choice IMO, despite being decent from time to time.
They also need an upgrade on Matic. His form has been OK of late, but they need someone of the ilk of the Matic from 4/5 years ago.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 14, 2020, 09:17:02 AM
Easily the poorest performance since January and Southampton were well worth their point. United could never get a grip on the game in midfield. I thought when he took Pogba off it was a good move but it actually made things worse as did the substitutions that followed. I don't blame Ole for making the changes but it is worrying that fresh players didn't improve things. Always felt United needed that 3rd goal and could/should have got it. Romeu very lucky and thankfully didn't damage Greenwood seriously. Definitely Southampton were physically aggressive.

Lindelof isn't good enough. I know slow motion can sometimes be unfair but just what he was doing for the late goal (applies to Maguire also!!!) I'll never know. I have some sympathy for Pogba on the first because DeGea should have realised the short kick outs weren't going to work against a very aggressive press. Southampton had 6 guys pushed right up yet United persisted with pasiing around in their own box.

So it's whether this is the start of a trend or simply an aberration. Thursday's game is massive.

De Gea's passing is poor, so many daft passes again last night in the 1st half although Pogba should be aware of an opponent been that close.

United have to learn from it, the passing was far too ponderous trying to break their press. The schedule is unfair on United, Chelsea will have an extra 48 hours to rest before a semi final and with United starting to look tired I won't feeling very confident for next Sunday.

5times5times

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 14, 2020, 05:04:40 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 14, 2020, 09:17:02 AM
Easily the poorest performance since January and Southampton were well worth their point. United could never get a grip on the game in midfield. I thought when he took Pogba off it was a good move but it actually made things worse as did the substitutions that followed. I don't blame Ole for making the changes but it is worrying that fresh players didn't improve things. Always felt United needed that 3rd goal and could/should have got it. Romeu very lucky and thankfully didn't damage Greenwood seriously. Definitely Southampton were physically aggressive.

Lindelof isn't good enough. I know slow motion can sometimes be unfair but just what he was doing for the late goal (applies to Maguire also!!!) I'll never know. I have some sympathy for Pogba on the first because DeGea should have realised the short kick outs weren't going to work against a very aggressive press. Southampton had 6 guys pushed right up yet United persisted with pasiing around in their own box.

So it's whether this is the start of a trend or simply an aberration. Thursday's game is massive.

De Gea's passing is poor, so many daft passes again last night in the 1st half although Pogba should be aware of an opponent been that close.

United have to learn from it, the passing was far too ponderous trying to break their press. The schedule is unfair on United, Chelsea will have an extra 48 hours to rest before a semi final and with United starting to look tired I won't feeling very confident for next Sunday.

Bailly, Fred, McTom, Mata, Igahlo & James will start FA cup.   Put all eggs in basket for 4th. F**K the cup at this stage.

"The schedule is unfair on United"  Have you seen how easy Utds run in is compared to Chelsea + Leicester? Chelsea have the Pool (will they do us a favour) while Leicester have Sheff Utd + Spurs before last game showdown

Cunny Funt

A bit of daft schedule and Chelsea should be favourites to win that Cup semi final. Ole would like to play his strongest 11 for that match though its unlikely now especially with a lot of heavy legs on show last night. The United bench isn't good enough to fill in which highlights more signings will be required to improve the strength in depth for next season.

5times5times

Going off the team that beat Norwich in QF, i'd start the same team below.

Romero
Dalot Bailly Maguire Willams (if he's back)
McTominay Fred
Mata
Greenwood Lingard/James
Ighalo

magpie seanie

I honestly wouldn't put Lingard on the bench based on the last game. Give a youth team player a run instead.

United's run in on paper looks easier - because they've played the teams higher up the league already!!! It's a bit unfair regarding the Cup semi final - Chelsea having 48 hours more to prepare. I'd love United to get back to the top of the list of winners of that competition but it will be a tall order to get through that semi final with the injuries and need to rotate the squad.

The appearance of tiredness last night has me worried. I hope it was a one off that they can shake off.....

Milltown Row2

He named the same team for the past 5 games in a row. Great to be able to do that, but this is like the start of the season, players looked stretched heavy legged. But the pass from DeGea to Pogba was woeful when a ball out to his right was a far easier option.

Martial should have scored one on one chance. Greenwood was missing, whether that was the clash on the ankle or Southampton played it tight on him, it kept him quiet.

Bruno and Pogba not as influential as in previous games. Utd win next game will at least have them a fighting chance with Leicester
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

I hope you lads have apologised to Pep!!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 14, 2020, 08:48:16 PM
He named the same team for the past 5 games in a row. Great to be able to do that, but this is like the start of the season, players looked stretched heavy legged. But the pass from DeGea to Pogba was woeful when a ball out to his right was a far easier option.

Martial should have scored one on one chance. Greenwood was missing, whether that was the clash on the ankle or Southampton played it tight on him, it kept him quiet.

Bruno and Pogba not as influential as in previous games. Utd win next game will at least have them a fighting chance with Leicester

And don't forget the Rashford one that was blocked 2 yards out....split second from a certain goal. It wasn't all bad but the last 20 minutes were poor. Shaw seems to be fit anyway. Have rolled my ankle many times and you just don't know sometimes till a day or two afterwards how bad it is. Seems he's ok.

GJL

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 15, 2020, 09:45:18 AM

And don't forget the Rashford one that was blocked 2 yards out....split second from a certain goal. It wasn't all bad but the last 20 minutes were poor. Shaw seems to be fit anyway. Have rolled my ankle many times and you just don't know sometimes till a day or two afterwards how bad it is. Seems he's ok.

I'd be tempted to start Williams instead of Shaw in a few games. He could be a regular starter for Utd soon if he continues to progress. I love his aggressive style.

Milltown Row2

he took some knock to the head in that game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Quote from: GJL on July 15, 2020, 01:39:49 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 15, 2020, 09:45:18 AM

I'd be tempted to start Williams instead of Shaw in a few games. He could be a regular starter for Utd soon if he continues to progress. I love his aggressive style.

He was better than Shaw when he came on the last night. I think he's going to be brilliant but he has had a few iffy games which is to be expected from someone so young. I hope the damage the last night looked worse than it was. Cos it looked bad.

GetOverTheBar

United can't afford to take any risks, they'll be full out where they can for Palace. If they drop points that final game v Leicester becomes absolutely massive.