NFL Division 1 - 2020

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2020, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

We are staying up, say we are staying up

Gael85

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on October 25, 2020, 02:53:24 PM
Will be a long half for Galway here I think, that is a gale there in Salthill and 9 points is nowhere near enough of a score with it, they are not playing well again this week, too many lads out of form. Conroy playing unreal but there's not much else with him out there.
That foul by James McCarthy on Ian Burke just before ht was some of the sneakiest dirt you'll ever see on a pitch.

Clumsy from Jamsie.  Lost control of ball and tried to get his foot under the ball. Nothing more than a yellow card.

Gael85

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on October 25, 2020, 03:18:41 PM
A lot of Galway mistakes leading to easy Dub scores.  McCarthy taken off before he got sent off!!  I'm struggling with some of McGoldricks reffing, missing a lot of stuff off the ball. Hopefully we dig in for the last 20 and show a bit fight.  Neither of Galway's MF are up to this level.

Ridiculous from Coldrick to give that free against McCarthy when Conroy blocked him. He was terrible for both teams. .

Farrandeelin

Agree with all you've said there Dubhaltach. Aiden O'Shea is not a full forward, period. Either have him out around the middle of the field getting on ball, especially against a team such as Tyrone who swarm around him when he was inside all through the game.

There'll be a debate about the goalie position once again, all due to one terrible kick out that ultimately cost us unfortunately. I'm a huge Clarkey man myself over Hennelly, but surely there are other options to try in next year's campaign.

It's not a given we'll be promoted at the first go either so people who reckon it's not too bad might have another thing coming to them. Hopefully it will be a swift return to Division 1, I guess we'll have to wait and see how things pan out. It may be 'only the league' but I was delighted when we won it last year. Any type of national title shouldn't be sniffed at.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

macdanger2

Where's Carr? I'd have him starting in the FF line, O'Donoghue looks more than a half forward to me

Gael85

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 25, 2020, 08:00:50 PM
Agree with all you've said there Dubhaltach. Aiden O'Shea is not a full forward, period. Either have him out around the middle of the field getting on ball, especially against a team such as Tyrone who swarm around him when he was inside all through the game.

There'll be a debate about the goalie position once again, all due to one terrible kick out that ultimately cost us unfortunately. I'm a huge Clarkey man myself over Hennelly, but surely there are other options to try in next year's campaign.

It's not a given we'll be promoted at the first go either so people who reckon it's not too bad might have another thing coming to them. Hopefully it will be a swift return to Division 1, I guess we'll have to wait and see how things pan out. It may be 'only the league' but I was delighted when we won it last year. Any type of national title shouldn't be sniffed at.

How come Schlingermann never got the chance? I know gone back to soccer but didn't seem to get any run out last year.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Gael85 on October 25, 2020, 07:51:32 PM
Will be a long half for Galway here I think, that is a gale there in Salthill and 9 points is nowhere near enough of a score with it, they are not playing well again this week, too many lads out of form. Conroy playing unreal but there's not much else with him out there.
That foul by James McCarthy on Ian Burke just before ht was some of the sneakiest dirt you'll ever see on a pitch.

Clumsy from Jamsie.  Lost control of ball and tried to get his foot under the ball. Nothing more than a yellow card.
He didn't need to put his foot studs up the way he did to be honest, wasn't the natural location for his foot the way he was sliding in, made sure he was going to catch the other player, poor tackle imo.

MayoBuck

Quote from: Gael85 on October 25, 2020, 08:18:35 PM

How come Schlingermann never got the chance? I know gone back to soccer but didn't seem to get any run out last year.

Don't think he's big enough as a GAA goalkeeper.

It will be a completely different mindset in division 2 next year. Probably need 5 wins to go up so can't sleep walk through the opening rounds.

dublin7

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on October 25, 2020, 08:25:54 PM

He didn't need to put his foot studs up the way he did to be honest, wasn't the natural location for his foot the way he was sliding in, made sure he was going to catch the other player, poor tackle imo.

He slid in to pick up the ball and collided with the Galway player, he certainly wasn't trying to take him out. He wasn't even looking at the Galway player as he went for the ball

Captain Obvious

Plenty had the opinion that Cork would get promoted straight back after they got relegated from division 1 in 2016.

After Mayos failure today its now left to Armagh to relegate Tyrone to Division 2 next year.

thejuice

Disappointed to go down without a win but we've found some new talent and got some experience into the younger lads against top teams. Jordan Morris looks like he can replace Newman on frees but can offer something from play as well. Shane Walsh Is coming along, Thomas O'Reilly is developing into a decent forward. We have Menton, Ronan Jones and Matthew Costello as options in midfield which is a strong hand to have. Defensively we have Eoin Harkin and Cathal Hickey looking like decent prospects but need a bit more time. Goalkeeping remains the biggest worry. The two lads we have are prone to costly mishaps but I don't see any one else coming forward to replace them.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

SouthDublinBro

Monaghan extremely fortunate to survive.

Gael85

Quote from: hardstation on October 25, 2020, 09:37:21 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on October 25, 2020, 09:21:47 PM
Monaghan extremely fortunate to survive.
To be fair, they beat the 2 teams below them.

Should have beaten Dublin too but failed to close game out.

moysider

Lookit, a bit of a reckless league from a Mayo perspective. We've been getting away with it down the years but we've had it coming. Our record in Castlebar since 2010 in the league has been desperate.

Played 38
Won 16
Lost 20
Drew 2

How did we last so long?!
As well as this year we won no home game in 2018.
Horan has been in charge for most of those campaigns. Maybe he hasn't taken the league seriously but the team has had some excellent away wins in that time in the most difficult of venues.
I don't get it. It's so frustrating, constantly trying to come to terms with what appear to be self inflicted damage.
We were so defensively laissez-faire against Galway last week and we did the same again today. Of course Tyrone were not going to let us waltz through them so that first half can easily be explained.
I don't put this relegation down to trying new players or rebuilding. During this campaign there has been no foundation/structure - from a defensive side of things anyway.

GaillimhIarthair

It was a shocking tackle, knew full well what he was at and Burke was damn lucky to only hobble off the pitch.
The score line flattered Dublin in the end but they had plenty in the tank and could have turned it up a notch if needed. 
We had a number of players out there today that are just not at the required level to seriously challenge at the business end of the championship.  Hard to see us having much of a say this year.